Risk of breeding a cow with prolapsed vagina?

Help Support CattleToday:

JosieBlue":24nqs41d said:
What if I don't breed her, but just use her as a nurse cow for my bottle calves? Coudnt I keep her in milk for a long time without her being at risk? Are yall saying that the prolapse is an indicator that there are other health problems to come? Thanks so much for your help!

I had never thought of that, so I don't have an answer. Maybe someone else does. Typically nurse cows (or dairy cows) are allowed to dry up 2 or 3 months prior to the next calf being born. I really don't know how long a cow would keep giving milk if you kept calves on her and didn't breed her.

You could "keep her in milk for a long time." I am not familiar with dairy cattle at all. So maybe a dairy cattle person will tell us how long.
I have a goat that has milk all the time, year round, for the past three years. Never had a baby and never been milked. I am sure it is a hormone issue with her. Vet said just let her be.

I would think that you would want to get her sewn up though, to prevent an infection.

Well it has not popped out again and the vet said to call if it did and they would put a stitch it it, otherwise to leave it be . I have heard of a cow being kept in milk for 8 years one time, but maybe that was a fluke?

Depends on the feed and genetics. They can milk for multiple yearsbut the outpput is greatly reduced. The wrnings aren;t having to do with other health issues, they are talking about THE health issue if you breed her. She may prolapse when she comes into heat, for sure she will if she calves.

I can't say for sure from the photo but to me that looks more like a vaginal cyst than a prolapsed vagina. These are cysts formed from glands in the wall of the vagina and will go in and out sometime when they are in they are even hard to feel. They will often burst themselves and heal and they can cut open to drain. I have had a cow that had a large one that would protrude when lying down. I never got around to doing anything with it and it seems to have resolved. It never stopped her from having a calf every year and has had several calves since I first saw it.
Google vaginal cyst and compare any photos to what you saw and let us know.
Ken

branguscowgirl":1c79lqjw said:
Brute 23":1c79lqjw said:
JosieBlue":1c79lqjw said:
Could I keep her? I just can't send her to slaughter. She is a real sweetie!

You might want to re-think owning cattle. Culling or putting animals dow is part of your responsibilities like food and water.
Brute many of us can sell cattle when we need too, but have a "special" cow that will never go anywhere.
I just sold a an old show cow for slaughter that I raised, that didn't breed back. Her full sister will be buried here when the time comes. Just because you have a favorite that you have made a pet out of, doesn't mean you are not a responsible cattle owner.

This cow has a medical issue. Get it fixed... or put it down. "Can I breed her back any ways" .... "Can I keep her for milk" .... "I can't get rid of her".... All those statement are about how the owner feels... not the animal.

The Vet said what needed to be done. If you don't like his/ her opinion... get another vet. Asking more people until you get the answer you want to hear... on the enet no less... is border line IMO.

Brute 23":255almy2 said:
branguscowgirl":255almy2 said:
Brute 23":255almy2 said:
You might want to re-think owning cattle. Culling or putting animals dow is part of your responsibilities like food and water.
Brute many of us can sell cattle when we need too, but have a "special" cow that will never go anywhere.
I just sold a an old show cow for slaughter that I raised, that didn't breed back. Her full sister will be buried here when the time comes. Just because you have a favorite that you have made a pet out of, doesn't mean you are not a responsible cattle owner.

This cow has a medical issue. Get it fixed... or put it down. "Can I breed her back any ways" .... "Can I keep her for milk" .... "I can't get rid of her".... All those statement are about how the owner feels... not the animal.

The Vet said what needed to be done. If you don't like his/ her opinion... get another vet. Asking more people until you get the answer you want to hear... on the enet no less... is border line IMO.
Agreed with Brute, this cow has a health problem and can get worse if she isn't fixed. If she want her so badly... Might have to having her spayed and stitched but her purpose as a milking cow will be gone.

Now that I have a picture, and see the severity of it.. do not breed her!.. it may get better over time, but will come back worse with the next calf. Milk her as long as she produces enough milk to satisfy your needs, which can be years (I knew of a 18 year old Jersey that was producing about 2 gallons/day, once per day milking and she hadn't had a calf in about 6 years).

The previous owner sold her because of this!

Nesikep":3et63lis said:
Now that I have a picture, and see the severity of it.. do not breed her!.. it may get better over time, but will come back worse with the next calf. Milk her as long as she produces enough milk to satisfy your needs, which can be years (I knew of a 18 year old Jersey that was producing about 2 gallons/day, once per day milking and she hadn't had a calf in about 6 years).

But its a heifer, its no way that the previous owner knew she will prolapsed.

Muddy":1zdvrwv7 said:
Nesikep":1zdvrwv7 said:

But its a heifer, its no way that the previous owner knew she will prolapsed.
Read again Muddy.....she bought it with a calf already. May had showed signs before...thought it would stay put after calf was out..
Look for stitch marks.. Did you buy from an individual? or sale barn. Honestly, why does someone go through getting a heifer to calve and then sell after a few weeks????

Nesikep":24qeoh0c said:
Muddy:
JosieBlue":24qeoh0c said:
Hello! About 4 days ago I bought a jersey heifer in milk...
Who knows if that cow did or didn't prolapsed before she was sold to her privately. Only the previous owner knows. All we can just making guesses. One thing for sure, that heifer should never get bred again.

JosieBlue":31immokv said:
Hello! About 4 days ago I bought a jersey heifer in milk and the first morning I went to the stall to take her out to pasture I see this red fleshy bubble coming out of her rump. Looked it up and it looked like a prolapse. This girl had a calf about 6 weeks ago and that is all I know. By the time the vet came out to stitch her the bulge had been sucked back in! The vet said she would not stitch her right now but to call her if it popped out again. She also told me that most folks sell cows with this issue. I bought her as a pet and milk cow and had planned to breed her. She is a really large miniature jersey and I wanted to breed her to a mini zebu. Do you think since the calf would be so small that the mom and baby would be ok? Is it just too risky to breed her? Could her condition heal itself or is there anything I can do? The heifer seems happy and the vet have her a clean bill of health with the prolapse exception!
I assume she did not come with a calf? Do you know what happened to it? You've only known the cow for 4 days.....sell her and start over. If you want cows, you'll need to get use to letting go in the cattle business.

cowgirl8":1zuh18pr said:
JosieBlue":1zuh18pr said:
Hello! About 4 days ago I bought a jersey heifer in milk and the first morning I went to the stall to take her out to pasture I see this red fleshy bubble coming out of her rump. Looked it up and it looked like a prolapse. This girl had a calf about 6 weeks ago and that is all I know. By the time the vet came out to stitch her the bulge had been sucked back in! The vet said she would not stitch her right now but to call her if it popped out again. She also told me that most folks sell cows with this issue. I bought her as a pet and milk cow and had planned to breed her. She is a really large miniature jersey and I wanted to breed her to a mini zebu. Do you think since the calf would be so small that the mom and baby would be ok? Is it just too risky to breed her? Could her condition heal itself or is there anything I can do? The heifer seems happy and the vet have her a clean bill of health with the prolapse exception!
I assume she did not come with a calf? Do you know what happened to it? You've only known the cow for 4 days.....sell her and start over. If you want cows, you'll need to get use to letting go in the cattle business.
Calm down, she might not into cattle business as there are plenty of folks that only wanted a family cow for milk only and probably some freezer beef. I don't have any problems with her using the heifer as a family cow as long as she fixed her up and not breed her.

A prolapse like that doesn't happen overnight.. I think the previous owner knew darned well, probably before she calved, and thought it might go away after calving like they often do.. it didn't, so he sold her.

For now, Get the mileage you can out of her, perhaps get her stitched up, but this isn't something to keep. Milk her until her milk drops down too much, I can't tell you how much you need, but when she doesn't give you enough, dry her up for a while and put some fat on her, then put her in your freezer and eat well.

I with ken on this. it looks like a cyst. I had one do that 2 yrs ago. it went away and she calved fine this year. Its easy to tell if you get her in a chute and reach in and feel it and see if its attached to the wall of the vag.

Nesikep":27zua08c said:
A prolapse like that doesn't happen overnight.. I think the previous owner knew darned well, probably before she calved, and thought it might go away after calving like they often do.. it didn't, so he sold her.
You think.

M-5":kf4i53mx said:
I with ken on this. it looks like a cyst. I had one do that 2 yrs ago. it went away and she calved fine this year. Its easy to tell if you get her in a chute and reach in and feel it and see if its attached to the wall of the vag.

Me too! Give her time to heal. Have her reevaluated. Then decide what to do.

Latest posts