Risk of breeding a cow with prolapsed vagina?

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks everyone for your input . My regular vet ( another was on call when the bump was discovered) had a chance to evaluate the situation today and said that since she had just calved 6 weeks ago that during the event she was experiencing her first heat. He said that her muscles in that area may still be weak and assumed she had been bred to a bull with a large birth weight ( she was sold to me as a mini jersey , but she looks more like a small standard jersey) His advice was to not sell at this point and to let her cycle a few more times. If this were to happen again , he said selling would be the smart choice. If it does not happen again he said we will reevaluate her.

It was super round, like a bubble, and not tube like at all. The possibility of this being a cyst instead of a prolapse is making me feel hopeful!

As far as the snarky comments, I'm not getting into the cattle business, she is a family cow/pet. I'm not looking for an answer that suites my preferences, rather the opinion of folks who are extremely knowledgable about a subject I am new to. She has been under the treatment of a vet and the vet even knew I was getting her before she arrived . I'm not interested in getting into the cow slaughtering business either. I don't eat em , I just milk em! Thanks again to everyone who has been so helpful, I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to talk with me about cows!

JosieBlue":2t3wlv6e said:
Thanks everyone for your input . My regular vet ( another was on call when the bump was discovered) had a chance to evaluate the situation today and said that since she had just calved 6 weeks ago that during the event she was experiencing her first heat. He said that her muscles in that area may still be weak and assumed she had been bred to a bull with a large birth weight ( she was sold to me as a mini jersey , but she looks more like a small standard jersey) His advice was to not sell at this point and to let her cycle a few more times. If this were to happen again , he said selling would be the smart choice. If it does not happen again he said we will reevaluate her.

It was super round, like a bubble, and not tube like at all. The possibility of this being a cyst instead of a prolapse is making me feel hopeful!

As far as the snarky comments, I'm not getting into the cattle business, she is a family cow/pet. I'm not looking for an answer that suites my preferences, rather the opinion of folks who are extremely knowledgable about a subject I am new to. She has been under the treatment of a vet and the vet even knew I was getting her before she arrived . I'm not interested in getting into the cow slaughtering business either. I don't eat em , I just milk em! Thanks again to everyone who has been so helpful, I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to talk with me about cows!
Good on you Josie, you have done the right thing and got good advice and I think all will be good. Very little goes wrong with young jerseys.
Ken

No one is trying to lead you down the wrong path. Yes if you want to play with this animal and nurse it back to health great. I hope it works out. It will make a great story and you can get on here and tell all your friends how you saved that one cow when those "snarky" people told you to get rid of it.

In my experience with livestock I have learned not to push the envelope. I would rather put them down and end the risk of some thing really bad happening. When you see one of these cows down... dead calf hanging out with all kinds of other insides... she's in a bind... exhausted... eyes wide open and blood shot... it sticks with you and you will learn its not worth it. You think your saving her... but really your just exposing her to the possibility of some thing a lot worse.

Be thankful she is up and can kind of go out on top. I would much rather see a cow leave in a trailer behind a truck than being pulled by a chain behind a truck.

I haven't been doing this long... but it was long enough to learn my lesson... the hard way. This is just my opinion... based on my limited experiences. Not every one will agree... just see below. :tiphat:

JosieBlue":25n94mqz said:
I'm not interested in getting into the cow slaughtering business either. I don't eat em , I just milk em! Thanks again to everyone who has been so helpful, I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to talk with me about cows!
I think most understand what you're saying, but you should realize that you can only milk a cow for so long. Eventually, her usefulness or health will fade away and you'll have to make a choice. I think most here would agree that the slaughter route is more humane than letting one waste away and die a prolonged death. There's nothing wrong with putting her down yourself and burying her on the farm, but not everyone is up to that task.
You aren't in the "cow slaughtering business" yet, but when you took ownership of the cow, you signed up for it.

In the mean time, it sounds like you have a good vet to work with and a plan going forward. Hopefully it all works out.

JosieBlue":1w65s3fd said:
As far as the snarky comments,

I haven't read much here, that would be considered "snarky" comments. What I have read here are the thoughts, advice and opinions that were asked for.

I do not think any of these folks were trying to be snarky. Lots of folks here, with years of experience and knowledge, trying to be helpful.

She's your cow to do with however you see fit. There is nothing wrong with having a cow as a pet. Be aware of their size, and respectful of their behavior.

Good luck with her. I hope she heals and you have fun with her. If she's milking, I'd use her now on some of those bottle calves you've got. Her milk will be better than any powedered milk anyhow. (BTDT)

Workinonit Farm":2dl3kij6 said:
JosieBlue":2dl3kij6 said:

Good luck with her. I hope she heals and you have fun with her. If she's milking, I'd use her now on some of those bottle calves you've got. Her milk will be better than any powedered milk anyhow. (BTDT)

Thanks so much! One of the bottle calves actually worked her way into the other pasture ( those little jerseys are slim little buggers!) and now she is hanging out with the Mama and her adopted calf. Do you think the switch from bottle to real milk will cause her to scour? I just got my bottle calves all healthy and I'd hate to set one back.

Thanks again for all the advice and help!

Keep an eye on it...if it seems ill or you dont see it eating, take a stool sample to your vet. That is the only way to diagnose it and get the right treatment for it...

JosieBlue":17pjt65p said:
Do you think the switch from bottle to real milk will cause her to scour?

The calf may experience some bit of digestive upset, but not from "germs". It would be due to a sudden change in the milk.......from one "formulation" to a different one. If the replacer that she has been getting is 100% milk and milk products, it mught not be too bad. But as has been stated, keep an eye on it.

Your best bet would be to give it some of the milk replacer and transition the calf over from the replacer to the real deal..

Latest posts