Riot??

Help Support CattleToday:

Vicky the vet":2jwdvpf5 said:
Certain professions are exempt from serving on a jury. Veterinarians happen to be one...

Any idea what the reasoning behind that would be?

That must be a Canadian thing also, as I've never heard of that down here. They make it pretty clear on the jury notice that job related duties are not a reason for exclusion.

I didn't follow the Michael Jackson trial very closely but would hear bits and pieces when I saw some of the local morning news having my coffee-I surely thought that he would get some charges. Everybody knows he's a freak-why would you want to change your race/gender what ever? He looks like he tried to become an Asian woman??

Even though I think he's more than likely guilty of child molestation I also think that the kid's mother is also guilty of trying to get some money out of this. Why would anyone in their right mind send their kids to stay with a stranger, especially a freak like him? I know I would never send my kids to even visit someone like that much less spend the night with them. Man, I hate to see people pimp their kids out for money-the mother needs some kind of punishment in my book :mad:

Rustler9,

I think you hit the nail on the head, thats the reason the old boy got off. The jury thought the mohter was a bigger crook than MJ. Hard to believe, but I do agree she is messed up.

MD

Rustler9":8tg35srj said:
I didn't follow the Michael Jackson trial very closely but would hear bits and pieces when I saw some of the local morning news having my coffee-I surely thought that he would get some charges. Everybody knows he's a freak-why would you want to change your race/gender what ever? He looks like he tried to become an Asian woman??

Even though I think he's more than likely guilty of child molestation I also think that the kid's mother is also guilty of trying to get some money out of this. Why would anyone in their right mind send their kids to stay with a stranger, especially a freak like him? I know I would never send my kids to even visit someone like that much less spend the night with them. Man, I hate to see people pimp their kids out for money-the mother needs some kind of punishment in my book :mad:

too bad not everyone thought this way. pimpin out kids seems to be a way of life for a lot of lowlife's. i'm not sure how he got acquitted on all charges. you'd think the one's he admitted to, especially, he would be charged with something for.

eric":3t1g99ph said:
You assume wrong then! I didnt know of any state that required the employer to make up the difference in pay between what the state pays and your normal salary. Why should the employer be forced to pay the difference? Hell, we pay enough in taxes, now we have to fund the judicial system also? While some folks have all the time in the world to sit on a long, drawn out jury trial, most folks have lives to lead and can't just abandon their responsibilities and families for weeks / months at the drop of a hat. The majority of people you get on those trials are either gonna be unemployed or students. If you're lucky, you can get a retired person or a person who works for a large company and will be reimbursed for the salary they lost while serving.

As I previously stated, having been called for jury duty in the state of Georgia, I know for a fact that Georgia employers cannot legally penalize employees by withholding pay for being absent for work due to being called for jury duty. Georgia uses the registered voters as it pool for jury duty. If you register to vote in the state, you are subject to being called for jury duty. As for the majority of people being unemployed or students, I would have to disagree as I know plenty of people with full-time jobs outside the home that have been called, and have served. The employer is required to pay the difference by law (at least in the state of GA), due to the fact that jury is considered to be a civic duty.

Excerpt from the Federal Labor Laws:

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) does not require payment for time not worked, including jury duty. This type of benefit is generally a matter of agreement between an employer and an employee (or the employee's representative). The Bureau of Labor Statistics' (BLS) Employee Benefits Survey indicates that 87 percent of employers offer paid leave for jury duty service.

While federal law does not, some state laws require employers to pay employees who are asked to serve jury duty.

Thanks for the link on sex offenders.I usually keep a check on these things.Been very busy lately but did check in my area just found out the guy I and my kids work with is a convicted and registared offender.

eric":6yk64oz4 said:
Vicky the vet":6yk64oz4 said:
Certain professions are exempt from serving on a jury. Veterinarians happen to be one...

Any idea what the reasoning behind that would be?

Veterinarians, doctors, lawyers (can't remember them all...) have jobs which are required in the community. How would you feel if you had an emergency and were told...I'm sorry, your SOL because "X" is on a jury. ?

It does dilute out the pool for who can serve on a jury, but I'll be nailed when I retire...
V

NM CowBelle":3mf65wln said:
Thanks for the link on sex offenders.I usually keep a check on these things.Been very busy lately but did check in my area just found out the guy I and my kids work with is a convicted and registared offender.

That's scary. Least you know now.

Triple D":159mwjjr said:
NM CowBelle":159mwjjr said:

i'm going to go out on a limb here but........
most of these S.O. are basically nice ppl. most of them are trying to turn their lives around and are good ppl. that's not true for all of them of course, but some.

cowgirl580":pbu8vhex said:
Triple D":pbu8vhex said:
NM CowBelle":pbu8vhex said:

most of these S.O. are basically nice ppl. most of them are trying to turn their lives around and are good ppl. that's not true for all of them of course, but some.

:roll: No kidding? You don't say! I've had occasion to talk with a few of em, not most of em. They tell me, the only way they think they'll ever turn their life around is to be castrated.

Triple D":3b4875ir said:
cowgirl580":3b4875ir said:
Triple D":3b4875ir said:
NM CowBelle":3b4875ir said:

:roll: No kidding? You don't say! I've had occasion to talk with a few of em, not most of em. They tell me, the only way they think they'll ever turn their life around is to be castrated.

no, not kidding. you don't have to believe me or like it, but its true. there are some that are nice ppl and wouldn't do that anymore. notice i said SOME

In Arkansas you get paid $20.00 a day...period! I happen to work for the Fed so I get a regular days pay,but have to turn in any money I get from the county for jury duty. Doctors and nurses used to be exempt from jury duty, but not anymore.They now use drivers licenses to form the jury pool....too many people were not voting in an effort to escape jury duty..... :cboy:

cowgirl580":2w9xrrp3 said:

cowgirl580":2w9xrrp3 said:
no, not kidding. you don't have to believe me or like it, but its true. there are some that are nice ppl and wouldn't do that anymore. notice i said SOME

I'm going to choose to not believe you. I don't think it is possible for you to know what is really in their (sex offenders) minds. I don't think they deserve a second chance. The victims didn't get a second chance. The victims have to live with what has happened to them. The victims have to live with how they were rendered powerless by a "low life scum" that is a true coward.

You say they are nice people. Charles Manson, Jeffery Dahmer, and other serial killers were nice people too. Except to their victims "of course". These are not nice people. Don't be fooled. These are manipulating, conniving people that are a drain on all that is good within our society.

As you can tell I have absolutely no sympathy for these animals. I am a parent of two daughters. I think anything less than death for a "guilty" sex offender is not enough punishment.

I want to define when I am referring to sex offender I am talking about rapists, child molestors (and all such activity).

SF":1dgss63p said:
cowgirl580":1dgss63p said:

cowgirl580":1dgss63p said:

I'm going to choose to not believe you. I don't think it is possible for you to know what is really in their (sex offenders) minds. I don't think they deserve a second chance. The victims didn't get a second chance. The victims have to live with what has happened to them. The victims have to live with how they were rendered powerless by a "low life scum" that is a true coward.

You say they are nice people. Charles Manson, Jeffery Dahmer, and other serial killers were nice people too. Except to their victims "of course". These are not nice people. Don't be fooled. These are manipulating, conniving people that are a drain on all that is good within our society.

As you can tell I have absolutely no sympathy for these animals. I am a parent of two daughters. I think anything less than death for a "guilty" sex offender is not enough punishment.

I want to define when I am referring to sex offender I am talking about rapists, child molestors (and all such activity).

I can tell you that it is a well-known fact in the medical community that sex offenders can not be rehabilitated..... :x

SF":iknrzcof said:
cowgirl580":iknrzcof said:

cowgirl580":iknrzcof said:

you said registered sex offenders, you didn't specify rapists and all the serial offenders. unforunately there is a diff.

im not going to debate morality with you. i don't claim to know what's on there minds, i'm talking about the few i know and have talked to. you're entitled to your opinion and i'll have mine.

cowgirl580":11c2cg54 said:
SF":11c2cg54 said:

you said registered sex offenders, you didn't specify rapists and all the serial offenders. unforunately there is a diff.

im not going to debate morality with you. i don't claim to know what's on there minds, i'm talking about the few i know and have talked to. you're entitled to your opinion and i'll have mine.

In all fairness to cowgirl, I can't speak for offenders in Co., but in Tx. an offender is just that. Be it one offense or a hundred offenses. Fortunately there is NO difference. This can get complicate if we want to get off into penal stautes.
I don't always agree with the law. Sometimes it's not always black and white. If she's taking about an 18 year old who has consentual sex with a 17 year old, ok, that happens. Thats where I don't necessarily agree with the law. That 18 year old, if convicted will be a registered sex offender. It will haunt he/she the rest of their lives. If that's what she's talking about I agree with her, but we're not talking about the same thing if she is including true predetors within that group of "nice people". That's where I get off the train.

I think "registered sex offenders" includes rapists, child molestors, and most other sexual predators that have been released from prison, on parole, etc....

cowgirl580":h2s6z02a said:

ill tell you that i wouldnt consider anybody and i mean anybody who messed with my wife or kids a nice person. i would consider them dead.

eric":2wzmixer said:
You assume wrong then! I didnt know of any state that required the employer to make up the difference in pay between what the state pays and your normal salary. Why should the employer be forced to pay the difference? Hell, we pay enough in taxes, now we have to fund the judicial system also? While some folks have all the time in the world to sit on a long, drawn out jury trial, most folks have lives to lead and can't just abandon their responsibilities and families for weeks / months at the drop of a hat. The majority of people you get on those trials are either gonna be unemployed or students. If you're lucky, you can get a retired person or a person who works for a large company and will be reimbursed for the salary they lost while serving.

jury duty is not a choice. if you receive a summons for jury duty, you are required to appear. if you do not, you can be held in contempt and fined. employers (in Texas) are not required to pay your salary for missed work but cannot (by law) fire you for missing work to serve. after you appear at the courthouse, you can ask to be exempted from duty. being a student is an eligible exemption so you're not likely to see students. jury pools are drawn from drivers' license registrations (it was previously registered voters) & is random.

i've been called several times but was far enough down the list to not be picked. many people there requested exemptions and most were denied.

here is a list of exemptions:

§ Are over 70 years of age (You may also request a permanent age 70 exemption.);

§ Have legal custody of a child younger than 10 years of age and the person's service on the jury requires leaving the child without adequate supervision;

§ Are a student of a public or private secondary school;

§ Are a person enrolled and in actual attendance at an institution of higher education;

§ Are an officer or an employee of the senate, house of representatives, or any department, commission, board, office, or other agency in the legislative branch of government;

§ Have served as a petit juror in the county during the 24-month period preceding the date you are required to appear for this summons. (Applies only to counties with a population of at least 200,000 unless the county uses a jury plan under

§ 62.011, Gov't Code, and the period authorized under § 62.001(b)(b6) exceeds two years.);

§ Are the primary caretaker of a person who is an invalid unable to care for himself (This exemption does not apply to health care workers.); or

§ Have been summoned for service in a county with a population of at least 250,000 and you have served as a petit juror in the county during the three year period preceding the date you are to appear for jury service. (This does not apply if the jury wheel has been reconstituted since your service as a petit juror.)

Latest posts