Ring worm

Help Support CattleToday:

Flatbroke

Reaction score
How common is ringworm in cattle? I have 3 steers with some hair missing on the face, one has a circular liesion on his face between nose and the eye, one has some hair missing right arround one eye on back and on top of eye, and one has a circle on jaw that is healed but could have been the same type of fungus.

The web page I found does not show photos but says the sun will heal it as the days get longer and not to give it much thought and it is a very common fungus found in soil and cattle get it more in the winter when they bunch up. What do you real cattle men think?

GS

I pretty much agree with the web page you found.

But whether or not I am a real cattleman can be debated.

Agree with your webpage. We always have ringworm in the winter around here. Some years its worse than others. Its in the ground and corrals so not much you can do about it. Not a big problem except if they get scratching their eyes.

Thanks for the responses. My concern is what if these are not from ringworm fungus. No photos on the web pages sure leaves a possibly of misdiagnosis. They are not scratching at all just have some hide missing.

It really sounds like you have it. It is contagious, i'm not sure how bad as i have never caught it but I try not to touch animals with it.
My herd picked up a good dose about 4 years ago from animals I introduced onto the farm. Every animal had it for a while and it improved as the weather did. I bought a new bull this year, he wasn't showing it at the time but developed it and passed it on. After a while I noticed all the old cattle that had it previous never got it, only the young cows heifers and calves so they must developed some immunity. It's most harmless unless they really scratch at it so don't be too worried.

Old_man_emu":2aqeoor0 said:
It really sounds like you have it. It is contagious, i'm not sure how bad as i have never caught it but I try not to touch animals with it.
My herd picked up a good dose about 4 years ago from animals I introduced onto the farm. Every animal had it for a while and it improved as the weather did. I bought a new bull this year, he wasn't showing it at the time but developed it and passed it on. After a while I noticed all the old cattle that had it previous never got it, only the young cows heifers and calves so they must developed some immunity. It's most harmless unless they really scratch at it so don't be too worried.
From what I've heard it can live on wood, metal, trees, just about anythign that a cow can touch. When they happen to rub it they will get it also. Kind of a gift that keeps on giving.............

We always have ringworm around here. Email me at [email protected] and I will send you pictures of my lovely ladies that are currently afflicted if you'd like to compare.

Flatbroke":thopvcy5 said:
How common is ringworm in cattle? I have 3 steers with some hair missing on the face, one has a circular liesion on his face between nose and the eye, one has some hair missing right arround one eye on back and on top of eye, and one has a circle on jaw that is healed but could have been the same type of fungus.

The web page I found does not show photos but says the sun will heal it as the days get longer and not to give it much thought and it is a very common fungus found in soil and cattle get it more in the winter when they bunch up. What do you real cattle men think?

GS

Food grade iodine mixed with feed will prevent ringworm and foot rot same bacterial family. I have it mixed at the co-op with my range meal, I don't remember the formula.

dun":zw3kddr2 said:
Old_man_emu":zw3kddr2 said:
From what I've heard it can live on wood, metal, trees, just about anythign that a cow can touch. When they happen to rub it they will get it also. Kind of a gift that keeps on giving.............
and in the ground????? I have heard this but don't know if it is true.

Latest posts