Ring Worm- What to use?

Help Support CattleToday:

bluesky10

Reaction score
I have three calves here. The blind one has had it for months and it seems like no matter what I use it wont go away. It is just on her ears. The spots are no longer crusty, just bald. She isnt anywhere near the other two calves. Now this week I noticed the two older calves have crusty flakey spots coming on their necks.

I was really trying to get the blind calf healed so she can go in with my other two, and am thinking now that they all have it I might as well put them together.

I want to get this crap gone before my horses catch it as well. Knock on wood I havent gotten it yet. What is best to use on them?

I agree with Isomade, but if you do want to feel as though you are doing something try 5-10% Lime sulphur, or Captan, I forget the dose rate but something like 1teaspoon to 1pint of water rings a bell.
Both are plant fungicides and can be purchased in most garden shops.
Ken

i wouldnt even bother with it.i have been told iodine will help but not for sure on that.as far as i can tell it does not cause the animal any discomfort so why even worry about it unless you are showing them,which i doubt seeing as 1 of them is blind.

The blind one I took in when she was next to dead and brought her back, just wasnt able to save her sight. She does fine though.

I just dont want it to spread to the other animals or humans aka kids.

bluesky10":3p4gxuke said:
The blind one I took in when she was next to dead and brought her back, just wasnt able to save her sight. She does fine though.

I just dont want it to spread to the other animals or humans aka kids.
I have never had a ring worm but I have had a lot of outbreaks of RW in my cattle. If you will just ignore it it will go away, less stress on the cattle too.

Topical antifungals can help. Captan(Ortho rose dust), iodine, and yes, the athlete's foot preparations. Back in the dark ages we also used TBZ(thiabendazole) dewormer paste - and some products for yeast infections still contain thiabendazole, though it's no longer marketed as a dewormer, to my knowledge.
Ensuring that the calves are on a proper plane of nutrition, with proper mineral supplementation will also go a long way toward minimizing spread and speeding up resolution.

I also use the athlete's foot spray or cream, works well. I only treat animals going to show at the fair...The others I leave alone. None of my horses or children have caught it.

Luck_P worte, "TBZ(thiabendazole) dewormer paste "

Terrible dewormer but a very good fungicide.

I have had plenty of it as a kid so know what its like. I keep the kids away from them as much as possible, which with it getting cold isnt hard to do.

The neck spots seem to be improving but now the steer has it up around his eyes as well. Grrrr I cant imagine winter will kill it either.

Fungaway spray works well and is sold at most tractor supply stores. Ringworms will go away without any treatment over time but for fast results you can use a scotch comb to brush away the dried flakes until skin is exposed then spray with fungaway and the ringworms will be gone in no time.