Right on schedule

Help Support CattleToday:

cow pollinater

Reaction score
I thought maybe I'd get lucky this year and the predators would stay up higher where the drought isn't as bad at least until I got done calving but I went up to feed today and my BIG bear is back and has been alllll over my country and this year he's brought two somewhat smaller friends and I see that the lion that was travelling through from time to time has decided to spend more time in my neck of the woods. :bang: Just what I needed, something else to worry about.

What are the laws, can you kill them?
I declared war on raccoons that got into my sweet corn with good success, but your problem is a lot bigger.

The big bear is a confirmed calf killer. The previous owner told me all about him including when he would show up and his behavioral patterns. He has been seen at fresh calf kills but he's been shot at enough that nobody gets to see him up close anymore. Last year I had a pair that included a calf with no tail and a cow with a scratched up face...GOOD GIRL! :nod:
A week ago a friend of mine that lives higher up on the ridge-line that this bear travels was out in her yard when a big bear came in with her standing right there and took her dog off of the front porch. I'm guessing that was him and he sounds desperate enough to be bold this year.

Sounds like you need to contact fish and game and have them come out and remove him or give you a permit to bait him in and kill him.

As mentioned above can you set up a bear bait and kill him?
If he's killing calves I would do it legal or not if the wildlife department had a problem with it then tell them to get the bear out of there.

Ozhorse":1253zid1 said:
Makes me think about horned vs polled cattle differently.

Horned cattle are no match for a bear. Neighbors 3 year old Horned Hereford bull had its neck snapped when a bear took a swipe at it, that was last year.

Stay safe CP! I hope they don't do any harm to your cattle. Sure seems like it should be legal to protect your livestock.

We have shot a cougar before. He was caught in the act trying to get one of my calves. It bit the end of her tail off, but the moma cows were tightly circled up around her fighting off the cougar when we got there with the gun. Love my Brangus mommas! They knew just what to do to protect that calf.

Aaron":2lwhc70f said:
Ozhorse":2lwhc70f said:

Horned cattle are no match for a bear. Neighbors 3 year old Horned Hereford bull had its neck snapped when a bear took a swipe at it, that was last year.
Must be a huge grizzly or that bull must be a tiny thing.

Taurus":6lfxtloq said:
Aaron":6lfxtloq said:
Ozhorse":6lfxtloq said:

Must be a huge grizzly or that bull must be a tiny thing.
Must be one sorry azzed hereford !!

We've got leopards here, two direct neighbours has lost sheep recently, so far i've been lucky.

I'm always armed but my chances of getting a good shot are slim to none. Most of this ground is steep, rocky ravines with plenty of scrub so he can literally be a hundred feet away and you might not ever know it. I was up there for a while this morning and the dogs went apeshyt over something up in the brush but I wasn't about to send them to a big bear or lion. The catahoulas will take on ANYTHING but the border collies bark like "shyt boss, let me up in the cab there's something up there!" :lol:
The way fish and game works here you have to catch them in the act to kill them for depredation. If you get a permit it is only for one particular animal and you have to show evidence that that particular animal is the problem. Then you get a permit that lasts for thirty days and have game wardens breathing down your neck the whole time...
Bear season is almost here though and both kids and my wife just got bear tags so that is going to be how we handle it unless we catch him in the act before then.
The cat, well... they've been known to kill dogs so as long as I have dogs with me he's a direct threat if we see him, right?

KNERSIE":3i9bbkvr said:
We've got leopards here, two direct neighbours has lost sheep recently, so far i've been lucky.
I'm good with lions and bears, thanks. You folks have all kinds of neat shyt to worry about.

cow pollinater":1j3ewood said:
KNERSIE":1j3ewood said:
I'm good with lions and bears, thanks. You folks have all kinds of neat shyt to worry about.

Actually I think our risk is smaller than yours, the risk to livestock is probably a lot bigger from caracal than leopards and when it comes to cattle puff adders is a far more real risk than any predator

Latest posts