Riding Lesson Ideas

Help Support CattleToday:

turn&burn92

Reaction score
I am giving riding lessons to a 7 year old girl and her 5 year old brother. They really are good little riders. I gave them lessons last summer for basics, and this summer I started with a refresher course of the basics and they are doing very well. I was wondering if you could help me think of any fun games that would be supplemental to teaching yougens about horses and how to ride. My main goal is to get them riding confidently by the end of summer (september 29). Any ideas on games or lesson ideas are greatly appreciated! :help:

is this just basic riding or is it supposed to lead to something specific like dressage or barrels? (etc,etc)

if you could find someone who was working some cattle and needed some eager "cowpokes" just to help hold the herd or to poke along with a real quiet cow that would be a real treat for them i bet.

Well, it's supposed to be basic riding. They are little city kids and their mom had horses and she wanted them to experience it. They love it and the horses. They are doing very well. Anyway, I have cows to do that with but I live so much farther that where I give the lessons. I just wanted a few fun games that would help with balance, reining, stoping, etc. I will keep that idea in mind though, because I think I may do that for a fun activity at the end of the summer. Kinda like a finisher. Thanks. :)

You can also setup an obstacle course of cones, barrels, pole bending standards and non rolling poles like landscape timbers to work through at different gaits.

Simon says is fun too. If you are on a horse during the lessons, you can play follow the leader or
"do as I do". Red light, green light can be fun too.

Cherry Hill's 101 Arena Exercises is a good book. I use it a lot for our 4-H clubs arena practices.

This site has free horsemanship, trail and showmanship patterns to download. It may give you ideas of things to do with the kids. Working with the horses on the ground is just as important as riding.

http://www.showhorsepromotions.com/horsemanship.htm

I bet that you are the highlight of their day :D

turn&burn92":3l3gc13m said:
I just wanted a few fun games that would help with balance, reining, stoping, etc.

I don't know at what level these kids are, but what about an egg in the spoon race? There is also the plucking the ribbon (substitute anything you like for the ribbon) off the stationary object exercise. For reining and stopping, how about a few simple patterns for them to execute?

Thanks. The kids are 7 and 5. They are good little riders. They just need more confidence. But for only 5 and 7 they are doing very well. I am not sur what you mean by 'level', though. :???:

turn&burn92":zmitd3rd said:
I am not sur what you mean by 'level', though. :???:

By level I meant amount of confidence, seat, and ability to handle their horse.

Oh, they are confidant fo no longer than they havebeen around horses. They seem to have a real connection with them. They can control the horses well. They know how to stay balanced and be the 'leader'.

Latest posts