Bareback riding tips and tricks

Help Support CattleToday:

that about sums it up Suzie. :)

TT-Parelli..I will admit, I havent delved to much into his theories on a deep level..so I dont know if I can make a really honest evluation on what he does and why he does it.

a friend of mine is very much a parelli-ite, as I call her, meaning she STRICTLY follows his methods and does not use ANYONE else's. She put on a beautiful performance with her horse at last year's expo..it was quite impressive.

I know PP has abit of a reputation within the horse community..seems you either love him or hate him...Im on the middle road in that aspect..I will be honest, the fierce loyalty some of his followers show him wears on me abit..as I said before, I mold the program to the horse, not the horse to the program..and in that aspect, I feel that unless we, as trainers, learn as much as we can, even if we dont use it on a horse RIGHT NOW, we may have a horse in the future who will learn best thru that method of communicating..

Now Rick Gore..Ill be honest..I wasnt espc pleased with how he portrayed women in his youtube video "how women are set up to fail with horses"..granted..I've met some people, men and women, who treat their horses like big dogs..which annoys me. Don't get me wrong, I love my horses..but I always remember they outweigh me by quite abit. they are my partners, not some snookems..and mabey that's why I took a teeny bit of offense to the video..because he labeled it "women"..when it easily could have been "men and women"..I kinda wrote him off after I saw the video.

I haven't heard of Rick Gore.

Parelli can have a pretty bad rap over here, mainly because it is not Parelli himself teaching, but students of Parelli and that doesn't mean they are much good.

and yes, I am very against the almost like a religious cult that you listen to them and nobody else.

So we go down on our property to see a girl who had managed to get her hands on a warmblood mare that is too good for her. I rode it for a week for her and a lovely horse that never put a hoof wrong. Flying Changes the lot, but she could not even lead or lunge her properly let alone ride.

So our property and raining and mud and we go down to find her lunging the horse in the mud over the ramp of the float. The horses is mad with fear. Sliding into the ramp and then scrambling over it and how the **** it didn't break its legs I don't know.

So when we tell her to stop doing it, because we are not Parelli she refuses to stop and keeps doing it. The only reason she stopped in the end was because we told her to stop as we are the owners of the land and didn't want the ground cut up.

I have used a method for putting horses on floats for years. It does not entail lunging horses over a ramp, lunging, ropes or whips. I can take a shaking, sweating with fear horse off someone that has been using those methods. Calm the horse down and walk it on the float in usually minutes.

The only thing I can think is that in America the method was taught without a ramp as you do not have horse floats, but trailers that might not have a ramp.

Actually after that and a few other incidences we decided we didn't want her on our property anymore so that was the end of her at our place.

Another story is the farrier coming onto our property laughing. I asked why. Did I know that according to Parelli a canter transition is to stand in the stirrups and hit the horse on the rump with a whip?

No I didn't know that!!!

The result. The horse pigrooted and the girl did a full somersault and landed in front of the horse.

The other story was a beginner at our place with a t/bred over 16 hands tall who was told he could not ride the horse until he could get on it with no saddle and no mounting block, so of course he would never have been able to ride it.

This non-Parelli person put him on the lunge and taught him how to do a rising trot in less than 20 minutes after he had been going there for ages.

The last time I rode a horse was almost 30 years ago. Back then we used them for work and play. Nature is sure beautiful and peaceful off the back of a horse.

Thanks for the honest and thoughtful assessments ladies.

I don't even have a horse, or any cattle yet for that matter, so right now I'm in the learning and exploration phase. Mostly I'm reading books and watching YouTube videos on the subject matter I'm interested in. I'm too much of a novice to have much of an opinion on Pat or Rick but I would agree that Mr. Gore needs to lay off the women bashing. Makes him seem petty IMHO.

Have a great day!

Well, the way the market is right now TT, you should be able to locate a nice horse for a decent price when you are ready.

I surely enjoy my ponies..literally ponies.. :lol: the little pinto is the most surefooted thing on my place..I imagine it comes from her heritage.