between a rock and a hard place

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
OK, so yesterday I had a horse from the indian reserve break through the drift fence and ended up on one of our fields.

Yes, I need to fix that fence, with the number of beetle kill pines around it's going to have to be completely rerouted, and the terrain is miserable to work in.. all rock about 1' in diameter with some sand between them.. it's basically the tailings of the 1800's gold mining.

So anyhow, This little horse is a 2 year old filly, absolutely skin and bones, probably 500ish lbs? (I'm not so good at judging weight of horses), I chased her off, and she went back down to the spot she came in. As she went through it, the lowest HT wire was against the upper part of her front leg, and she didn't have the energy to jump over it. I stopped, and slowly approached her, then gave her a bit of a petting.. she is COVERED in ticks.. 2 kinds, one I think may be a ked, though only know of them on sheep. I picked off a couple hundred of them, and you know it must be bad when a wild horse LOVES you for giving it some attention, then I pushed the wire down and got her over it, and kept pushing her on her way to where she belongs, about a mile down the road.

My dilemma is that I hate the SPCA/Peta, but this is a terrible case of neglect.. there's not a blade of grass to eat.. as I was moving this horse along, it was eating sage brush. If I say anything to anyone local and the SPCA does eventually get involved, we'll be the bad guys. Also, the horses around here belong to a couple different people, and each is going to say it belongs to someone else... Being indian reserve probably will only complicate matters because of legal jurisdictions, etc

Going back down the river to patch the fence together until spring when I might get a post in in at least a couple places.

Here's a picture of it... yes, it has Percheron in the woodpile since the previous owner of our place 25 years ago had them and sowed lots of wild oats.

Welcome to the neglect/starvation conditions of rez horses in the USA, too. They are not "wild horses" -- they are ferral horses. Be the bad guy. Report if you know this is going on. Or bring her in, take care of her, shut up, and wait for some more that are starving and come to you. The USA, mostly by the influence of a very rich man's wife who did not step up to take care of thousands of ferral horses on her own dime, stopped horse slaughter in the USA a few years ago. It's still up in the air. It's no longer banned, but USDA can't seem to fine the time to inspect the operations that would start up again. Personally, I'd rather see untrainable, broken down, elder horses go to equine heaven here in the USA with humane practices, with the meat used as it can be used, than watching animals starve to death vs. "God knows what" treatment in Mexican slaughter facilities. Not sure what the Canadian facilities are, but USA horses sold at auction will wind up either up North or down South until this gets sorted out. This is a topic that really riles me. The rez horses are NOT the same as BLM horses. BLM folks are scared to death now about what to do with their problems. BLM is spending lots of money holding horses they have no clue what to do with.

The SPCA does take them here, but they spend ungodly amounts of money on them to get them back into health.. A while back there was $30,000 spent on a small handful of neglected horses when putting them down would have been the most humane thing to do.

Depending on the situation where you live(which I don't know), I probably would have ended up with a horse to feed(.Of course,there is a "horse lover" South of me where I could drop her off .
Sky ) :)

It is a rock and a hard place with that horse. Probably best what you did, push it off your place and take a couple of days to forget it. It's one of those things without a win either way.

Sad, just sad for any animal to be treated poorly.

Closing the slaughter houses (as Kathie stated) has been harder on these horses than imagined. :(
Ignorant people thinking that they were "saving them" has caused their increased suffering.

So apparently the SPCA has no jurisdiction on indian reserves here either, which is what I suspected.. which means reporting it will only ruffle feathers and not get anything accomplished.

Thought I should update you all... the indians here got rid of about 20 horses a month ago, probably including this trespassing filly... so for a couple years we're probably good again.. I guess I made the right choice by just shooing her out and keeping my mouth shut.

Nesi, for you, you did the right thing. For your neighbors you did the right thing. If it was me, and it was ongoing, I'd likely have done the same. But I hate to see the neglect . . . . those that just don't give a single d#mn about the animals that depend on them to survive and do nothing for it or to control it.

Perhaps that horse is in a better place... even if it is a dog's stomach.

I hate the neglect too, just gotta tread lightly with the natives around here.. we're between 2 reserves, and tension could make our lives miserable.

Latest posts