saddling a horse or mule

Help Support CattleToday:

BRYANT

Reaction score
I have always put a blanket on first then a pad then my saddle, but people are saying that is wrong that the pad goes on first then the blanket. Is there a right way or does it even matter? As far as my mules I don't think it matters one way or the other to them.

I run a 1" thick wells 5 star, and that's all. Blanket over a pad, would be for looks imho. Blanket under a pad, would negate good money for a pad. It wouldn't do its job------Wick sweat, and disperse pressure. Opinions will vary, but that is all I have ever done.

Actually, in the absence of withers on a mule, it is more critical than a horse, to be padded properly.

I was putting the pad over the blanket to keep the pad cleaner. I am probably not doing it right and will try it the other way or just leave the blanket off.

Bigfoot is right on the money with the 1" thick felt pad. They hold up well and a good pressure washer will clean them up nice. I prefer one without the leather wear patches though, so I can cut it down to barrel length for certain shorter backed horses. I have an assortment of wool blankets I can throw over the felt if I'm out and about....its way cheaper than buying 15 pads in different colors!

Padding for saddles, no matter western or english, is supposed to just provide cushion and prevent leather rubs on the horse's skin. Saddle pads and horse blankets can also provide some corrective fitting for the saddle. It shouldn't much matter what order the blanket and pad are in under the saddle, as long as your horse or mule seems comfortable and there are no visible rubs or muscular atrophies.

alokpaul said:
Padding for saddles, no matter western or english, is supposed to just provide cushion and prevent leather rubs on the horse's skin. Saddle pads and horse blankets can also provide some corrective fitting for the saddle. It shouldn't much matter what order the blanket and pad are in under the saddle, as long as your horse or mule seems comfortable and there are no visible rubs or muscular atrophies.

You obviously dont have a clue, Bigfoot is spot on. Pad then blanket, although i just use a 1" pad.

They've sure improved both the quality and appearance of those pads since I was younger.
Many years ago, (about 1965) brother and I rode up with mama to where dad had the horses and cattle and brother forgot his pad. We was poor and had some pretty wore out saddles to begin with. He put the saddle on with just a blanket and that was an old Army surplus blanket and off we went riding. When we got back to the barn, Dad had gotten there, saw what Ron had done and said. "Boy, git down off that horse...you know better than to ride with no pad. I'm gonna show you what you're doing to that horse" , and pulled his belt off and went to whaling away on brother's backside. Brother didn't make that mistake a second time.

There's no wrong way to saddle a horse, long as it works for you and the horse. Some of the best I've been around have rigs held together with mule tape and hay string. I suspect most get their ideas of what's right and wrong in the parking lot at the county Fair. ........but maybe I ain't got a clue.... LoL

midTN_Brangusman said:
alokpaul said:

You obviously dont have a clue, Bigfoot is spot on. Pad then blanket, although i just use a 1" pad.

Other than that :welcome: to Cattle Today alokpaul!

Latest posts