Riding Donkey wanted!

Help Support CattleToday:

This is probably further than you would want to go for a donkey. And i am not sure the place i am talking about is still in business. But there was a ranch East of Oklahoma city that was in the business of raising and selling riding donkeys.

When i used to own mules. I went and looked at this guys donkeys. Rode a couple of them.

Like i said that would be a long trip for you to make. But if you think you might be interested i can see if i can get you a phone number.

Best i can remember thoes old donkeys had one speed only, " slow "

This is probably further than you would want to go for a donkey. And i am not sure the place i am talking about is still in business. But there was a ranch East of Oklahoma city that was in the business of raising and selling riding donkeys.

When i used to own mules. I went and looked at this guys donkeys. Rode a couple of them.

Like i said that would be a long trip for you to make. But if you think you might be interested i can see if i can get you a phone number.

Best i can remember thoes old donkeys had one speed only, " slow "

I was impressed with them. I think at the time i went to look at them i was wanting them for pack animals.

They were big donkeys but if i remember right. It was something about them that made me think they wouldn't be good for packing.

I had never rode a donkey before then. They diffinately had a different gate compared to horse's and mules.

Garrett Mammoth Jackstock Stillwell,OK 918-696-2280
I used to take a mule and donkey magazine ( think it was called the Bray) back when we had riding mules and they always had ads in there for riding donkeys. Kinda pricey if I remember correctly. I had a 54" red roan jack that I bred some mares to that would ride, you just better not be in a hurry. He was probably one of the most intelligent animals I've owned. He would watch how you latched gates and figured out how to get some of them back open.

Garrett Mammoth Jackstock Stillwell,OK 918-696-2280
I used to take a mule and donkey magazine ( think it was called the Bray) back when we had riding mules and they always had ads in there for riding donkeys. Kinda pricey if I remember correctly. I had a 54" red roan jack that I bred some mares to that would ride, you just better not be in a hurry. He was probably one of the most intelligent animals I've owned. He would watch how you latched gates and figured out how to get some of them back open.
I think that is the same place i am talking about. Do you still have any riding mules ? How long ago was it that you use to ride ? Ever go to the chuck wagon races in Clintion Ar ?

I think that is the same place i am talking about. Do you still have any riding mules ? How long ago was it that you use to ride ? Ever go to the chuck wagon races in Clintion Ar ?
We quit riding and sold out about 7 years ago, when my son was young we rode quite often, after he quit riding my wife followed so I decided to sell out.
I used to go to the wagon races every year, I would go up on Wednesday and stay until Sunday, alot of fun. I do miss riding sometimes and I sure miss going to Clinton. Sometimes I think about getting me another good riding mule, but it wouldn't get rode enough to justify the expense. What about you, do you go to the wagon races?

We quit riding and sold out about 7 years ago, when my son was young we rode quite often, after he quit riding my wife followed so I decided to sell out.
I used to go to the wagon races every year, I would go up on Wednesday and stay until Sunday, alot of fun. I do miss riding sometimes and I sure miss going to Clinton. Sometimes I think about getting me another good riding mule, but it wouldn't get rode enough to justify the expense. What about you, do you go to the wagon races?
I have never been. Have wanted to go but just never went. Knew alot of friends who i hung out with in my younger days that were on the wild side i guess would be the best way to describe them. Who went there alot.

From some of what they told me about it. I didn't think it would been something that i should have taken the wife and kids to.

Heard there was alot of drinking and partying goes on there. Which would have been right up my alley when i was younger and single. But at the same time i heard it wasn't all that wild either.

Did you have some good riding mules ? Wish i had of known what i know now about mules when i was in my teens.

Loved to hunt all of my life and knew of several hunters that took mules Elk hunting, Coon hunting back in the 70's when i was a teenager. Just didn't know at the time why they chose mules over horse's for hunting. Do know though .

I have never been. Have wanted to go but just never went. Knew alot of friends who i hung out with in my younger days that were on the wild side i guess would be the best way to describe them. Who went there alot.

From some of what they told me about it. I didn't think it would been something that i should have taken the wife and kids to.

Heard there was alot of drinking and partying goes on there. Which would have been right up my alley when i was younger and single. But at the same time i heard it wasn't all that wild either.

Did you have some good riding mules ? Wish i had of known what i know now about mules when i was in my teens.

Loved to hunt all of my life and knew of several hunters that took mules Elk hunting, Coon hunting back in the 70's when i was a teenager. Just didn't know at the time why they chose mules over horse's for hunting. Do know though .
We had a few decent ones and my son had a real good one we got him when he was about 7, that mule was great for him to learn to ride. It was 14.2 and dead broke. Had some good horses along the way too.

There is alot of partying at the wagon races but you can take a family if you just know where to avoid. Lots of kids running around up there. First few years just me and a friend went, after that I'd go up on Wednesday and my wife and son would come on Saturday morning. We only live about 45 minutes from there. Last time I went there were over 6,000 head of horses and mules on the ranch at one time and about 25,000 people.

We had a few decent ones and my son had a real good one we got him when he was about 7, that mule was great for him to learn to ride. It was 14.2 and dead broke. Had some good horses along the way too.

There is alot of partying at the wagon races but you can take a family if you just know where to avoid. Lots of kids running around up there. First few years just me and a friend went, after that I'd go up on Wednesday and my wife and son would come on Saturday morning. We only live about 45 minutes from there. Last time I went there were over 6,000 head of horses and mules on the ranch at one time and about 25,000 people.
I would like to have went. Heard the races were alot of fun to watch and they have some pretty well known band concerts. And i would like to have saw all of the horse's and mules. I am sure they probably had some good ones there. Also heard they had alot of nice home made somkers and grills the people were cooking on. Have some friends who enter alot of thoes cooking competitions. Can't remember exactly the name of that town in South West Arkansas where they have that big steak cook off competition but, i have been saying i am going to go to that for the last 15 years now but never have. I think it is near hope Arkansas ? Isn't hope where they hold the water melon festival ?

Isn't Clinton Arkansas where they have the Chuck wagon races ?

When i was riding mules alot. I met alot of people that used mules to pull wagons on some of the trail rides we would go on.

Was reading about the 20 mule teams they used to pull the boreax wagons with.

They had two men who drove the wagons. One was called a mule skinner who was alot of the time a pretty ill tempered type of personality kind of fella.

The other called a swamper who more less was the mule skinners helper. His job was to help feed and water the mules and help get their harnesses on and hook them up to the wagons. He would also pick up a bucket full of rocks each day to carry on the wagon so that he could throw them at a mule if it was to start loafing.

The trips back and forth were something like 30 days or more to the boreax mines and back. Because the two men didn't get along on the trips alot of the time.

The boss would call them into the office separately to talk to them so he could see if he felt they could get along ok without haveing a confrontation. Because ocassionly one would kill the other one i guess from all the stress of the job and not getting along.

If i remember right the 20 mule team pulled 3 wagons at a time. Two huge special built heavy built freight wagons, want to say the wells were like 10 foot in diameter and a third wagon that was a water wagon for watering the mules.

They use to somewhere in California i think it is. Put on a reenactment of the 20 mule boreax team and wagons that i would like to go see.

I bet thoes old mules were pretty good mules after having made a few trips pulling thoes boreax wagons.

I would like to have went. Heard the races were alot of fun to watch and they have some pretty well known band concerts. And i would like to have saw all of the horse's and mules. I am sure they probably had some good ones there. Also heard they had alot of nice home made somkers and grills the people were cooking on. Have some friends who enter alot of thoes cooking competitions. Can't remember exactly the name of that town in South West Arkansas where they have that big steak cook off competition but, i have been saying i am going to go to that for the last 15 years now but never have. I think it is near hope Arkansas ? Isn't hope where they hold the water melon festival ?
Yes, they have a watermelon festival in Hope as well as in Cave City ( Just North of Batesville), never heard about the steak cook off.
I've seen several well known groups at the wagon races, some that come to mind are T. Graham Brown, Bellamy brothers, Confederate Railroad, Neil McCoy.

Yes, they have a watermelon festival in Hope as well as in Cave City ( Just North of Batesville), never heard about the steak cook off.
I've seen several well known groups at the wagon races, some that come to mind are T. Graham Brown, Bellamy brothers, Confederate Railroad, Neil McCoy.
Magnolia Arkansas is where they hold the steak cook off. Called Magnolia Blossom festival that is usually held sometime in May. First place pays pretty good.

Spectators can purchase tickets for a steak dinner from the competitors at the Magnolia Blossom festival.

I had heard they had some pretty well known music groups at the chuck wagon races.

When i was riding mules alot. I met alot of people that used mules to pull wagons on some of the trail rides we would go on.

Was reading about the 20 mule teams they used to pull the boreax wagons with.

They had two men who drove the wagons. One was called a mule skinner who was alot of the time a pretty ill tempered type of personality kind of fella.

The other called a swamper who more less was the mule skinners helper. His job was to help feed and water the mules and help get their harnesses on and hook them up to the wagons. He would also pick up a bucket full of rocks each day to carry on the wagon so that he could throw them at a mule if it was to start loafing.

The trips back and forth were something like 30 days or more to the boreax mines and back. Because the two men didn't get along on the trips alot of the time.

The boss would call them into the office separately to talk to them so he could see if he felt they could get along ok without haveing a confrontation. Because ocassionly one would kill the other one i guess from all the stress of the job and not getting along.

If i remember right the 20 mule team pulled 3 wagons at a time. Two huge special built heavy built freight wagons, want to say the wells were like 10 foot in diameter and a third wagon that was a water wagon for watering the mules.

They use to somewhere in California i think it is. Put on a reenactment of the 20 mule boreax team and wagons that i would like to go see.

I bet thoes old mules were pretty good mules after having made a few trips pulling thoes

Did they haul feed and water? Thirty days on the road smelling mule farts would make the best of men a bit grumpy.

Did they haul feed and water? Thirty days on the road smelling mule farts would make the best of men a bit grumpy.
Yes they hauled their feed and water. It's was a long time back that i read about it. So i might not be qouteing exactly how it was. I thought it was an interesting article.

Seems like i can remember borax commericals using the 20 mule team to advertise their soap years ago.

Their trip was through the desert so thats why one of the wagons was a huge water type tanker wagon.

The mule handler aka mule skinner rode on what was called the wheel mule, the first mule on the left hooked to the wagon below the buck board.

Was said he used a whip so that he could drive the mules with. The swamper road on the buck board with a bucket of rocks to throw at mules that weren't keeping pace.

Latest posts