Richie Waterer Insulation Tips?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I run bigger stocker mobs in the summer so I purchased two large trough style Cattlemaster models. Now I have cows too - - and the Cattlemasters work fine except for the amount of electicity needed in the winter... Not the best choice year round for Minnesota. May be cheaper just to buy another waterer???

I wrapped them with the plastic sheet and bubble style insulation last year, and put straw bales on the north side (which they could not reach). Held up OK, but the trough was a steam'in many mornings.

I am also thinking about cutting some plywood to cover the trough - - just leaving two nose holes. Any tips here?

When you cover the trough with plywood could you glue foam board underneath also? and Maybe when you cut the nose holes go to a dollar store and get a 10-12" play ball and float that in the hole small enough that the cows can push it down to get the water the it pops back up when they are done?Just a thought. Or even a square hole with a cut piece of foam board that tyhey can push down to drink then it will float back up when they are done.

Jalopy":hkrjb4uj said:
Maybe when you cut the nose holes go to a dollar store and get a 10-12" play ball and float that in the hole small enough that the cows can push it down to get the water the it pops back up when they are done?Just a thought. Or even a square hole with a cut piece of foam board that tyhey can push down to drink then it will float back up when they are done.

Won't work because the act of pushing down the object - especially a ball - splashes water on it and they will freeze solid to the edges of the hole, thus becoming impossible to push down to get to the water. Can you tell we have a Ritchey waterer with the balls in both sides? :)

Stocker Steve":151uesz7 said:
May be cheaper just to buy another waterer???

Might look into Politron. I don't know if they have a bigger waterer than we use for the horses or not. The ones we use have a thermostat under the hood that kicks on and runs an adjustable stream of water to keep the lines and tank water from freezing in cold weather.

msscamp":20cck82x said:
Jalopy":20cck82x said:
Maybe when you cut the nose holes go to a dollar store and get a 10-12" play ball and float that in the hole small enough that the cows can push it down to get the water the it pops back up when they are done?Just a thought. Or even a square hole with a cut piece of foam board that tyhey can push down to drink then it will float back up when they are done.

Won't work because the act of pushing down the object - especially a ball - splashes water on it and they will freeze solid to the edges of the hole, thus becoming impossible to push down to get to the water. Can you tell we have a Ritchey waterer with the balls in both sides? :)

MSSCAMP

Lower your float / water level, so the ball does not contact the edge, leave 3/4 of an inch of free play.

Stocker Steve: Ply wood or poly sheeting UHMW, and some sell tapping screws and you are set. Leave a enough open area (drinking area) so the cows are pushinng and you should be OK.

Latest posts