Retaining ownership

Help Support CattleToday:

trin

Reaction score
I have heard folks talk about retaining ownership of calves when they send them to feedlot. How does all that work and do you have to send a lot to the feedlot?

The basic concept is that you send the calves to the feedlot, they feed them out on their dime, and send you a check for the difference when they sell them. You can find some feedlots that will accept a few but others require load lots. Very few people I've ever talked to have ever came out on top. But then again I'm in the southeast. Lot of crooks out there. I've heard of folks sending their calves and actually getting a bill rather than a check when the calves were sold to the packer. Research and find someone you really trust or you could get taken for a ride. You are in Kentucky. Your calves are in say..... Kansas. If they tell you 12 out of 30 died, you have no way of knowing how many really died. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but it's a risk and someone could really take advantage of you if they wanted to. Lots of good articles on the web about this. May try to PM js1234. He could probably steer you in the right direction.

Custom feeders
Charge you feed plus yardage and meds
They do it all even marketing/contracting
Some will partner on cattle or fill a pen and etc
Lots of options
If you think your cattle will do well then it'd be worth it.
Cactus is top notch imo

Cross-7":ja603gw1 said:
Custom feeders
Charge you feed plus yardage and meds
They do it all even marketing/contracting
Some will partner on cattle or fill a pen and etc
Lots of options
If you think your cattle will do well then it'd be worth it.
Cactus is top notch imo
Hard to argue with feeding in an Engler yard. Good feeders, good company.
Lots of good yard out there though. If the OP is serious about some recommendations, I'd be happy to give some details about particular companies or yards.

Did it for several years. My experiences:
Made money above what I would have gotten for the calves as feeders. However, my money was tied up a longer, so maybe a wash.
Learned a lot. Best cows need culling, while the middle of the road need to be what you send. Bigger isn';t always better, watch what grid you're selling on.
The risk and reward isn't worth it. May get a premium on some, and get docked on others. It's a long time to get all to grade choice or prime.
It is the most confusing thing in regard to culling cows you will ever deal with. A good steer will bring you a $175 premium, while a grade 4 will cost you $300.
Probably averaged around $75 a head profit over the years, but when calves got high, I quit. When I could get $900 for a calf, didn't see the need.
Need to have 500 head to make it worthwhile. Not enough money in it for the small producer, 100 head or so. You can mix a pen of steers and heifers, I did. Sent mine to Gregory Feedyard in Iowa.
Good bunch. gs

Latest posts