Retained Ownership

Help Support CattleToday:

After weaning maintaining ownership till they go to slaughter. Either shipping to a feedlot to be custom fed, or by feeding them yourself.
That's the simple answer.

And you take the hit if they don't grade, or you reap the benefits if they do. Simple answer.

snoopdog said:
And you take the hit if they don't grade, or you reap the benefits if they do. Simple answer.

You also take the hit if the prices drop. Beings as you pay the feed bill if the rate of gain in pounds per day or pounds of gain per pounds of feed that can be a hit. Part of the equation is that you pay a daily yardage fee, so if they are in the feedlot too long that can hurt too. Probably not a good game for a beginner to play.

Dave said:
snoopdog said:

You also take the hit if the prices drop. Beings as you pay the feed bill if the rate of gain in pounds per day or pounds of gain per pounds of feed that can be a hit. Part of the equation is that you pay a daily yardage fee, so if they are in the feedlot too long that can hurt too. Probably not a good game for a beginner to play.

So, if they grade very high, you would get more money for them compared to taking them to auction? Just making sure I understand.

The reason I ask is because the guy offering to help me get into this just killed his first F1 Wagyu/Angus cross. It was just over 1300 pounds. He called yesterday and said the meat turned out better than he expected.

It seems to me that with retained ownership, you can reap the benefits of Wagyu crosses, without the risk of getting low-balled at an auction because they are ugly? This is assuming they actually produce prime beef....

If I was using wagyu I for sure would be looking into retained ownership, or find someone that will pay a premium for your feeders.

kenny thomas said:
But if it cost more to get them to the grade the profit is lost.
Exactly. How OLD was your friends steer that weighed 1300#?? How much feed did it take to get him to that weight? How long was he on feed? What did the carcass weigh?
Think long and hard before jumping into this. Think: why don't more beef producers jump in?
You have to have a MARKET for your meat, if you retain ownership, then it's your responsibility to find a high paying buyer. There is absolutely NO ONE in my area that would be willing to pay such a high dollar for a steak - NO ONE. You are talking big city restaurants. Do you have that market?

Latest posts