Retaining Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep":iou9mf9u said:
While that should be true in theory, I haven't found any correlation in my herd. the 14th calf of my old cow was born May 5th, 2011, you couldn't tell she was 2 months younger than her mates, and she raises darned nice calves. Her youngest sister was born early, and is having her first calf soon.. I guess time will tell, but she is looking really good... She weaned at about 700 from a 17 year old cow with no teeth and bad hips

While it is true in theory, it is also true in pratice. That your heifer does well could be pure luck, but I think her exeptional mother has something to do with it, and possibly your high energy environment?

ANAZAZI said:
Nesikep said:
While that should be true in theory, I haven't found any correlation in my herd. quote]

Over the hill proven cows may be an exception to retaining from first 21 days only. I keep one heifer from a cow that calved about 30 days in - - but the cow is a proven teenager who is apparently starting to slip.

When I look at my retained heifer pen is see mostly white faces. Cows will some herf in them are over represented in the first 21 days.

I try to keep most of them. It just takes to long to breed cattle to let your new genetics go. My mistake was keeping heifers in the 2012 drought, major disaster. I sold old cows that year that were producing that was a big mistake selling them and keeping heifers. The animal scientists tell us every year of new genetics builds stronger producing cow herd. I cull just to hard at different times in the year, another mistake. Right now I have only four cows over 12 years of age that still in good production trying to keep all their heifer calves.
I use new bulls every two years. It sure helps to know your own cattle and how they produce. I only have one heifer I purchased. Many cattle (purebreds) that were purchased in the late 90s in going to reg cattle really were disasters. Except about four foundation cows. AI has not worked here like it does in other places. I just do not have the labor and was working jobs in the past that took my time.
Its past time to get a total outcross bull that needs to be done. Have to head north someday for that.
I wish all the politics in breed associations would stop but it sure seems that's a full speed now in most phases of my breed.

Sounds like some are very close to selecting on a single trait. That cow that bred on the second cycle could have been a better cow that was waiting on the bull! Breedback is one thing that you can not put 100% of the blame on the cow.

Everything said has been good.

Fertility is big. I have culled and culled for mortality and fertility. Dam calving on 11 month average in the genetics is a big plus.

Most all have good appearance and are docile.

Usually there's more I want to keep but can't. I wind up selling some really good heifers each year.

I guess if you calve year round, putting the calving interval higher on the list makes more sense... If you just calve out in spring or fall, it doesn't matter when they calf, it matters how big the calf is in the fall.. If one cow raises a 600 lb steer in 4 months while the others take 6 months, does it matter if she calved late? It would only matter that she had a calf every year.

Stocker Steve":1d7xd69j said:
backhoeboogie":1d7xd69j said:
Fertility is big. I have culled and culled for mortality and fertility. quote]

What does culling or retaining for mortality mean ?
Aside from retaining those that do not die? Possibly to get rid of relatives of those calves that die, starting with their Dams. Cull a cow that lost her calf, she will then never again lose another.

the 1st thing i look at is the calves mommas and her bloodlines.the 2nd thing i look at is the calf she raises.3rd if she cant raise a decent calf the the calf is culled.4th if i reg a calf then i know its good enough to keep in my herd or sale as a replacement.5th all heifers i keep are raised on grass and hay very little grain.so they have to grow to breeding age on that and calve at 2yrs old.

Latest posts