Respect ?

Help Support CattleToday:

In the 45 years I have known the man I eventually married he has never onced cursed or used obscenities. Although he admits to this when working cattle with other men. Also in the CoastGuard there was a lot of cursing.

We were a bunch of little hellions in grade school. We used every bad word we ever heard and tried to string as many of them together as possible. But that was just amongst ourselves and never in front of adults. We were equal opportunity and let the girls in on it too, but they generally didn't participate much. We were raised better than that, but that's how we rolled. As an adult, I have made great effort to not talk that way.

I curse but it's just like any other word to me. It's more a of a thing I do when joking around or telling stories with friends. I can turn it on and off though when need be.

What I can't stand though, is when people use them to look tough or because they can't control their emotions. It's just trashy then and a form of bluffing... neither of which I care for.

We once had a president that frequently used the word manure in public and in front of just about everyone, including women. (not that I see anything wrong with that)
But, that was decades ago and I have never been around high society. A high falutin/society ladies group in Washington once implored his wife Bess to ask him to refrain from using it.
She replied:
"No. It's taken me years just to get him to use 'manure' instead of the other word for it."

He was from Mo. and ordered the A-bombs dropped....

I never heard either of my parents curse in any way. I will occasionally say Sh-t when working cattle or when I get injured, but that is about it. I am far from a goody-two shoes, I was just raised that way.

I remember my Dad say when he was in Navy boot camp during WWII the chief told them cussing was a sign that you could express yourself use proper language. My youngest daughter got in trouble in high school for calling a teacher a dumb sh*t. I agreed with her opinion but told her that next time simply say, "I refuse to get in a battle of wits with an unarmed man." You just said the same thing but in a polite manner.
That said I worked in the woods for 20+ years. I can cuss for 5 minutes and not use the same word twice. I rarely do that anymore. Certainly not while in general public. But I still have that capability if the occasion should arise.

I was taught to read the room. If you are the only one cursing up a storm, it's probably not the place for it.
LOL... That brings back a memory... I was fresh out of boot camp and someone said they knew where there was a party. And someone here mentioned Coast Guard in relation to cussing... and boy howdy.

So we went by the liquor store on the way and someone talked me into a bottle of cherry vodka. I was already three sheets to the wind by the time we arrived. Turns out it was a church party... but I didn't find out until after we got back to the ship and I'd slept it off. I DO remember the kids there giving me some strange looks before I went out on the front lawn and passed out after puking.

There was definitely no reading of the room involved. Never drank that much again... and never cherry vodka again.

My father cussed a lot, but nobody else in my immediate family did, except on a very very rare occasion. My father never used the f word but said everything else.
I picked up the habit as young teen and when I got to jr highschool I was around so much of it including the f word that I really picked up on it then. I could turn it off and on most times depending on who I was around but if something happened and I got hurt or mad then the words rolled off pretty easy regardless.
After getting back into church and caring about my testimony I really try to not say anything like that, and try to control my emotions better in general.
It's not something I'm proud of for sure and a work in progress, I really feel bad now when I do cuss,

I use the F word a lot, Tell me whats more descriptive than Fxxxed up.
WTF, ****, FUBAR, FTFOOI
bet I'm goin the catch heck!
BTW I very very seldom say GD, got to be fightin mad.
looks like i got 4 stars for Sierra Tango Foxtrot Uniform

Last edited:
I have enjoyed reading this discussion about respect. On the subject of nice and polite southerners - Yesterday I was at the other place working on chopping the blackberry sticker vines off the driveway fences because if you don't keep them chopped they take over the landscape. I could overhear the neighbor that lives in a house down below, a loud talking west coast raised young single man, practially yelling to a friend over the phone discussing something about cars. And I am not kidding literally every other word was F**king this, F**king that. Or some derivative of sh*t. I just couldn't beleive it.

When I got home I asked my Texan husband, do men always talk to each other like this? Do they use such language when no women or kids are around? I asked him Did he talk like this working with other men when no women or kids were around? He said no he generally doesn't talk like that. He also mentioned, You know, men are not issued papers at the beginning on how to speak and deport themselves.

I happen to have been fortunate to know the women who raised my husband because they still lived at the ranch when I first met him 40 years ago. These were genuine actual southern ladies.

My question is to the men here-- Do you talk like that to other men when no women are around? It's perfectly OK if you do I am just taking a survey. It would be nice to know for the survey your general location.
Only when working cows.

I worked in ICU and ER trauma center. Nurses did use the term FUBAR.

My hispanic charge nurse refered (privately) to a patient as a pendejo. I asked what does that mean? He said It means F**king idiot. I looked up the word in Spanish dictionary and it actually means a single pubic hair.

I worked in ICU and ER trauma center. Nurses did use the term FUBAR.

My hispanic charge nurse refered (privately) to a patient as a pendejo. I asked what does that mean? He said It means F**king idiot. I looked up the word in Spanish dictionary and it actually means a single pubic hair.
That is how it is used. Pelito(s) is the word for the other one.

Latest posts