Respect ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I know I'm a couple generations away from the kids that work in retail and restaurants but I have to say there is a lot of lack of respect or maybe just a reality detachment from the younger generations.
I was always taught when someone tells you thank you that you should say you're welcome.Today almost every younger kid will say " no problem ". And I guess that should be an acceptable answer but it just doesn't feel right to me. And most of the time when I'm telling them thank you it's usually just to be nice because there's a very good chance that they didn't do a good job at whatever it was they were doing !
It seems like everyday kids get a little farther away from their parents and their grandparents, having Sunday dinners every week and never missing them... that kind of thing appears to be rare these days. And do the parents get at least part of the blame? My wife and I always watch people when we're out at a restaurant. Almost all of the families set and play on their phone and never say anything. And some of them will continue to play on their phone while they're eating !! My wife and I do not allow cell phones at the table while we are eating.... Unless it's a family photo around the dinner table.
When I was young the dinner table was the social media hub. There were 7 of us, and the conversation usually was about trapping, hunting, skinning, gutting, livestock, garden or a review of what chores were outstanding and needed done tomorrow. And of course we said Grace before every meal and that seems to be something that doesn't happen a lot anymore.
Rant complete 😐

Thank you. "No problem" Ask them Is it a problem for someone to be appreciative?

When getting the no problem response let it become their problem when they recieve a minimal tip.

Society is going to hell in a handbasket because of overpopulation, 24 hour phone addiction and social media. Things are going pretty well out in the countryside. Eventually nature will sort things out. :)

We don't get cell service at our house. We do have a little cheap flip phone that we take with when traveling. But I never even turn it on unless I am going to make a call. We have a land line at the house with an answering machine.

You are seeing the results of several generations breaking down. It didn't happen over night with just that generation. The generation before broke down and the one before that broke down and so on and so on.

Social media just pushed the pedal to the floor.

This past weekend I watched my sister in law on her phone telling my mom... uh hu... uh hu... uh hu... while my mom was talking about some family history with her mom.

Then later she wouldn't get off the phone to get her kids food so my mom, who is about to have knee surgery, was about to have to do it but my brother and I jumped up.

We were in DQ and my nephew thew a fit wanting ice cream. My brother had my niece and again his wife was on the phone going... come on X... let's go... come on. I finally had to go grab him, take the ice cream he took from the freezer out of his hand, throw him on my shoulder, and walk out.

These phones are just as bad as any drug. When it prevents your from doing your daily functions, it's a problem.

I know I'm a couple generations away from the kids that work in retail and restaurants but I have to say there is a lot of lack of respect or maybe just a reality detachment from the younger generations.
I was always taught when someone tells you thank you that you should say you're welcome.Today almost every younger kid will say " no problem ". And I guess that should be an acceptable answer but it just doesn't feel right to me. And most of the time when I'm telling them thank you it's usually just to be nice because there's a very good chance that they didn't do a good job at whatever it was they were doing !
It seems like everyday kids get a little farther away from their parents and their grandparents, having Sunday dinners every week and never missing them... that kind of thing appears to be rare these days. And do the parents get at least part of the blame? My wife and I always watch people when we're out at a restaurant. Almost all of the families set and play on their phone and never say anything. And some of them will continue to play on their phone while they're eating !! My wife and I do not allow cell phones at the table while we are eating.... Unless it's a family photo around the dinner table.
When I was young the dinner table was the social media hub. There were 7 of us, and the conversation usually was about trapping, hunting, skinning, gutting, livestock, garden or a review of what chores were outstanding and needed done tomorrow. And of course we said Grace before every meal and that seems to be something that doesn't happen a lot anymore.
Rant complete 😐
A song by Aretha Franklin? :giggle:

Rant complete 😐
A song by Aretha Franklin? :giggle:

There's a local ATV repair shop, I don't do business there anymore. The dad who owns it, who's older than me, responds with "yep" when you tell him thank you. It's sad, his two sons are polite, but after I got yepped on a $700 repair job I decided it would be the last. Thank you and you're welcome are acceptable. I appreciate it works as well. Yep and no problem are a problem.

My kids are required to use thank you and you're welcome. They're encouraged to use yes and no sir and ma'am as well. Some people nearly get offended at sir and ma'am anymore, they think you're being a smartazz.

We have a family that moved here from Geogia. The kids and the parents refer to me as Miss Jeanne. It is soooo refreshing to hear them talk. Like it was when I was growing up - and that's a LONG time ago.
my wife's from Ga (born on Ft Gordon) and she's been known to call me asshole or jackass at times.

No sir or ma'am here. Lot of females snap "Don't call me ma'am. It makes me feel old." Few males say "I'm not a sir. I have never been knighted."
When I was younger we were at my grandmother's. They had went and bought some food in town and brought it to the house. A bunch of the men, including myself, were playing dominoes. Some one hollered... yall come eat. Every one playing said, yall go ahead... we will grab some when we are done.

Two of my cousin grabbed plates for my grandfather and a couple uncles. One of my cousins asked what I wanted... I laughed and said I will eat what ever you bring... and we all laughed. One of my aunts went off about how I can get my own food and don't do that for him. She even went up to my cousin and told her... don't take that to him.

My cousin just laughed and went around her. My cousin brought it to me and gave me hug, like over my shoulder. I told her... thank you and laughed that I felt so loved.

It always just thought that was ridiculous. That just shows the extremes our society has gone from. I get at one time that was maybe over used in a negative way but my cousin was just doing some thing nice for me. I didn't ask for it or expect any thing. In reverse, I would have no problem doing the same for her. People have no sense. It's one extreme or the other.

Society is going to hell in a handbasket because of overpopulation, 24 hour phone addiction and social media. Things are going pretty well out in the countryside. Eventually nature will sort things out. :)

I live about eighty miles from any meaningful population center. I figure when TSHTF the city kids might walk ten miles into the country to fill their bellies, but only the toughest will walk twenty. The people around where I live will grow bigger gardens and have a couple of tough years, and likely help each other more than prey on each other. Let the games begin...

Good information to know about "no problem" and "np" when sending emails (and in person). I think it might be more of a generational thing or a regional thing. I had never realized anyone thought or viewed saying "no problem" or "np" was any less respectful than a "thank you". Hadn't thought anything of it and just viewed it as a modern version of "thank you". Even my 'instant communication' or on line communication will give 'quick response' of 'thank you' or 'no problem' or 'np' as options to chose from when acknowledging a response and being appreciative of it. If I have ever responded to anyone here with "no problem" and offended them, I am truly sorry. My response was meant as a sincere thank you. So, Thank you for making me aware of this.

When some one calls me sir I tell them that was my Dad's last name. His first name was Yes.
I live about eighty miles from any meaningful population center. I figure when TSHTF the city kids might walk ten miles into the country to fill their bellies, but only the toughest will walk twenty. The people around where I live will grow bigger gardens and have a couple of tough years, and likely help each other more than prey on each other. Let the games begin...
It is 100 miles to Boise but there is lots of food in the Treasure Valley, so I am not worried about people coming from that direction. And there is nothing at all the last 50 miles. To the west it is well over 300 miles to Portland. Those people ain't making it this far. We will eat good here.

Latest posts