Resistant Pigweed

Help Support CattleToday:

Crowderfarms

Reaction score
Anyone hear of Pigweed that is resistant to Glyphosphorous? I know we treated quite a bit of ground for it 2 weeks ago without good results. Case I heard about was in Ga.

Haven't heard of pigweed specificially but there are various plants that have developed immunity to glyphos.
Were the plants actively gorwing when you sprayed? I sprayed a punch with 2,4-d and 2 weeks later they had barely started to wilt. I sprayed another bunch when I noticed the first bunch wilting and they started to die within a couple of days. The difference I think was that it was a little cooler and we had heavy dew the day I sprayed the second batch.

dun

dun":25cjtiyu said:
Haven't heard of pigweed specificially but there are various plants that have developed immunity to glyphos.
Were the plants actively gorwing when you sprayed? I sprayed a punch with 2,4-d and 2 weeks later they had barely started to wilt. I sprayed another bunch when I noticed the first bunch wilting and they started to die within a couple of days. The difference I think was that it was a little cooler and we had heavy dew the day I sprayed the second batch.

dun
Dun, They were growing full force. I have given up with killing them with 2,4,D Amine. Get a sucessful kill one area, barely any kill the next. Problem may have been heavy, early night dews. BUT I sprayed in the heat of the day. I have best sucess at that time usually.

Crowderfarms":3nb1zpvi said:
dun":3nb1zpvi said:

dun
Dun, They were growing full force. I have given up with killing them with 2,4,D Amine. Get a sucessful kill one area, barely any kill the next. Problem may have been heavy, early night dews. BUT I sprayed in the heat of the day. I have best sucess at that time usually.

Try spraying early in the morning. Especially on these hot summer days. Early in the morning the plants will have their leaves open absorbing available moisture, etc... As the sun heats things up the leaves will curl up towards the stems. The plants will take in more of the herbicide in the early mornings, than they will in the heat of the day. Also, be sure to use a good quality surfactant. The herbicide must get into the plant to provide a good kill.

Crowderfarms":2chudjin said:
Anyone hear of Pigweed that is resistant to Glyphosphorous? I know we treated quite a bit of ground for it 2 weeks ago without good results. Case I heard about was in Ga.
I hope there isnt any resistant Pigweed lol --- you can just sot spray it over the top with paraquat -- and it will burn your grass but it will come back green minus the Pigweed ..

Its mostly evident around my house in the no till round up ready cotton. Hand picking the pigweed is becoming the norm. Haven't had any trouble not being able to kill it in pasture environments yet.

Weeds are an indicator of soil health. It amazes me how fast nature can adjust to our arsenal. Round up ready pigweed has been around awhile now. There are other round up ready weeds out there as well. We'll hear more about them in the future. Unfortunately we have turned our farms into battlegrounds. Us against nature. We kill everything we can and eat the rest. This is a battle we will lose.
We need to change our focus. From how to get rid of the problem, to why we have the problem.
It would be nice if we could get some good research on weed control that the mainstream would except.
Generally pigweed indicates soil high in K,Mg.Fe. Low in Ca,P and humus.

Bluestem":2yu1wizv said:
Weeds are an indicator of soil health. It amazes me how fast nature can adjust to our arsenal. Round up ready pigweed has been around awhile now. There are other round up ready weeds out there as well. We'll hear more about them in the future. Unfortunately we have turned our farms into battlegrounds. Us against nature. We kill everything we can and eat the rest. This is a battle we will lose.
We need to change our focus. From how to get rid of the problem, to why we have the problem.
It would be nice if we could get some good research on weed control that the mainstream would except.
You have convinced me. I want the book you learned all this from. Do you mind telling us?

Bluestem":2kjpti94 said:

Good post, Bluestem!! I wonder what the cost difference would be in getting the soil amended versus spraying herbicides year after year. Also, in amending the soil to eliminate pigweed does the change in soil allow something else to encroach?

novatech":1pc21pxb said:
Bluestem":1pc21pxb said:
You have convinced me. I want the book you learned all this from. Do you mind telling us?[/quote/

There are several out there. One I use the most-

"Weeds and Why They Grow" by Jay L. McCaman. The book is printed by the author,116 pages, $25.00 ppd.
Jay L. McCaman
Box 22
Sand Lake, Mi. 49343

BeefmasterB":2rz3sq9y said:
Bluestem":2rz3sq9y said:

Good post, Bluestem!! I wonder what the cost difference would be in getting the soil amended versus spraying herbicides year after year. Also, in amending the soil to eliminate pigweed does the change in soil allow something else to encroach?

I have not used herbicides in over 20 years, so I've lost track of the per acre cost. A link in a previous post mentions 45.00 per acre to fight off the pigweed. I bet that cost would reappear every year. And increase with time. Cost of amending the soil would decrease with time. Here is the rub as I see it, There is no one way to solve the soil health problem. There are to many paths to town. Verse use a herbicide (one path). I've tried numerous paths to improve soil health. Cover crops and grazing animals is the cheapest, easiest way. Recently I've been working with charcoal, microbes and minerals (fulvic acid etc.)
It shows real promise. Right now I am making my own charcoal from materials on the farm, so my cost is my labor $1.00 hr. Microbes and minerals less than 20.00 per acre. I apply the microbe/minerals several times per year. Here is the next rub- your weed problem will not be solved over night. I don't know the best way to wean your field off of the chems. I went cold turkey. One day I decided I was not going to do this anymore. As I recall I was drenched with an insecticide while spraying trees (I will probably die from cancer). Hopefully folks take more care of themselves these days. Anyway I don't know that cold turkey is the way to go. It was a lot of work and in those days not much info available. We also have to keep in mind that our soils are a wreck. They did not get this way over night and will not be repaired over night. So I do not know that I can honestly put a cost factor in. I should add, that I do not have my soils where I want them. But G-d willing I will before the next bad drought.
As far as other weeds encroaching. From what I have observed as soil health increases all problems decrease. Weeds, insects,fungal etc. Nature has a plan that works. We need to relearn the plan.

yes we have it here. luckily it isnt all that stickery and is super easy to pull up.

We got kicked out of the Garden of Eden and as the Bible says, we are cursed for this sin and will be fighting to grow a crop from that day on. Keep in mind, nature hates a vacuum. You can amend the soil and get rid of the pigweed but something else will take its place. The whole idea behind herbicides is to make things more efficient and more productive at less cost. Until a viable alternative to this is invented, I doubt you'll be able to convince any serious producers differently.

Bluestem":3ovhtuu6 said:
Weeds are an indicator of soil health.

So true Bluestem, I learned a long time ago ground so poor it won't grow weeds won't grow good coirn either ;-) .

Larry

Jogeephus":2hl6jf6m said:
We got kicked out of the Garden of Eden and as the Bible says, we are cursed for this sin and will be fighting to grow a crop from that day on. Keep in mind, nature hates a vacuum. You can amend the soil and get rid of the pigweed but something else will take its place. The whole idea behind herbicides is to make things more efficient and more productive at less cost. Until a viable alternative to this is invented, I doubt you'll be able to convince any serious producers differently.

So very true Jogee, great post !

Larry

I reckon grandpa would tell us to go get the plows and the cultivators back out .

Larry

Latest posts