Resistant Pigweed

Help Support CattleToday:

larryshoat":kvf6xfs2 said:
I reckon grandpa would tell us to go get the plows and the cultivators back out .

Larry

It might come to that. You know I've never much liked this no till farming. Its ugly to me. I understand the reasoning and the economics but I still like the smell of freshly turned dirt. I like to watch the cultivators working down the rows and the site of the occasion plant getting pulled under. Can get old but so can chocalate.

I recall my grandpa telling me to get in the truck saying "were gonna go chop cotton". Couldn't figure out why he want to chop the cotton when it hadn't bloomed yet. Handed me a hoe and told me to chop out the weeds in the rows and around the cotton. Looked around me and there had to be about 50 acres of rows and it was about 95 degrees out. Talk about work!

BeefmasterB":3c60iae9 said:
I recall my grandpa telling me to get in the truck saying "were gonna go chop cotton". Couldn't figure out why he want to chop the cotton when it hadn't bloomed yet. Handed me a hoe and told me to chop out the weeds in the rows and around the cotton. Looked around me and there had to be about 50 acres of rows and it was about 95 degrees out. Talk about work!
The kind of work that makes one park their butts behind a desk. :lol:

Is Glyphosphorous the same as glysphate. If so then I thought it was best for grassey weeds and not broadleaf. You might try Remedy Ultra. It is for broadleaf and brushy plants.

hurleyjd":5uydnghq said:
Is Glyphosphorous the same as glysphate. If so then I thought it was best for grassey weeds and not broadleaf. You might try Remedy Ultra. It is for broadleaf and brushy plants.

Glyphosate is non-selective. Kills broadleaf or grasses. Not as effective on woody stemmed plants.

dun":1lxdhzek said:
hurleyjd":1lxdhzek said:

Glyphosate is non-selective. Kills broadleaf or grasses. Not as effective on woody stemmed plants.

But, what if it was applied when the Pigweed was tender? Say, 3-4" high?

BeefmasterB":drim0mat said:
dun":drim0mat said:
hurleyjd":drim0mat said:

But, what if it was applied when the Pigweed was tender? Say, 3-4" high?

It would probably work ok but I use either Grazon or straight 2,4-d when the stuff is young. The only place we have much of it anymore is in the WSG field. As hard as it was to get that stuff established I don;t want to use glyphosate on it. For the non-pasture areas that we have it I just hit it hard with 2,4-d

dun":3b8tqw9b said:
hurleyjd":3b8tqw9b said:

Only glyphosphorous that I'm aware of is a generic glysphosphate. Glyphosphorous is the trade name. Reading the active ingredients can really save you some serious money. At one time there were two chemicals labelled for different things. The difference in the cost was $400/gal but the active ingredients were exactly the same. I applied the cheaper product "off label" but in the same manner as the active ingredients were labelled under the other trade name. It did a dandy job but I guess I broke the law. :roll:

Jogeephus":b2n2abk5 said:
dun":b2n2abk5 said:
hurleyjd":b2n2abk5 said:

Only glyphosphorous that I'm aware of is a generic glysphosphate. Glyphosphorous is the trade name. Reading the active ingredients can really save you some serious money. At one time there were two chemicals labelled for different things. The difference in the cost was $400/gal but the active ingredients were exactly the same. I applied the cheaper product "off label" but in the same manner as the active ingredients were labelled under the other trade name. It did a dandy job but I guess I broke the law. :roll:

The only 2 trade named herbicides I use is Remedy and Grazon P+D. Everything else is the generic stuff. I got a great buy on some glyphosate generic and cut Ild really cut a fat hog. After reading the mixing directions it turned out I could have gotten Roundup and used it cheaper then the "great buy" stuff.

That's why I always read the labels. Names, mixtures concentrations all can be deceiving but you cannot be deceived by the percent active ingredient. It is what it is.

dun":2cc8wbn5 said:
hurleyjd":2cc8wbn5 said:

Not as effective, but can be enhanced with a little diesel fuel in the mixture. :nod:

Latest posts