Pigweed

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
The pigweed is awful here this year. What is the most economical herbicide to use on it?

I use Grazon and Surmount bu 2,4-d and remedy would probably work too. I just happen to have a lot of of Grazon on hand.

We've found that the key is to get it while it's small. About 8" is max for the spray to be effective in our experience. We had a couple of rains back to back this year that kept us out of our soybeans, and the pig weeds took off. A combination of R/U and Remedy did well, but some were to too tall to control. We'll have to be extra diligent next year. AND, we have noticed some R/U resistant pig weed.

Even during the drought I sprayed pigweed that was in flower with Surmount and Grazon and the stuff died. I did spray it to run off so that may have made a difference

I picked up some 2 4 D and have borrowed a sprayer. According to the chart at 20 psi at 4 mph it will do 15.8 gpa for a 20 ft width. It has a 55 gallon tank, the farm store was suggesting a quart of 2 4 D per acre. How would you mix it? The way I read the label it says 1-2 qts per acre. Is the 15 gpa about right?

Quart per acre is about right for most weeds and will get pigweed. I'd put 3 qts in your tank, mix and spray the 55 gallon mix out, then repeat for your acreage. 20 ft swath isn't bad.

greybeard":3ge21r9t said:
Is pigweed the same as goatweed?
Most people refer to wooly croton as goatweed. If that's you're case, no they aren;t. Google spiny pigweed, red root pigweed.

tom4018":2bozfgvf said:
I picked up some 2 4 D and have borrowed a sprayer. According to the chart at 20 psi at 4 mph it will do 15.8 gpa for a 20 ft width. It has a 55 gallon tank, the farm store was suggesting a quart of 2 4 D per acre. How would you mix it? The way I read the label it says 1-2 qts per acre. Is the 15 gpa about right?
id be more tempted to wait and spray it early spring, you'll get the wild buttercup and thistle to...

ALACOWMAN":1vwvuhh0 said:
tom4018":1vwvuhh0 said:
id be more tempted to wait and spray it early spring, you'll get the wild buttercup and thistle to...
Butterecup and pigweed are a different growing cycle. Butter cup first then late summer the pigweed. Spraying now will also get next years thistle while they're still in the rosette stage.