reserve grand champion heifer at state fair

Help Support CattleToday:

What is a maintainer i assume some maine anjou in the breeding. the pic is a bit dark but she appears to have a good fit on her . How many other heifers did she compete against. She is just not my kind of heifer.

there is no fit on her legs thats just her bone and yes a mainetainer is a calf that has 25% or more in them. what do you mean by "not my kinda heifer"?

Hate to burst your bubble, but Florida is not a hotbed for show cattle. I'm glad you did well, but she is just a heifer, pretty high flanked and looks hard doing.

iowahawkeyes":3b8fo418 said:
Hate to burst your bubble, but Florida is not a hotbed for show cattle. I'm glad you did well, but she is just a heifer, pretty high flanked and looks hard doing.

yes i realize florida is not a hotbed and excuse me but she's only six months old i'm not necesarilly worried about her flank yet. with age it will come down.

That's funny, I think she's a bit older than six months. :shock:

http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/about26002.html&highlight=.

Maybe more like nine to ten months, unless that is a different heifer in one of your old posts. :roll: She's pretty tight gutted and not bold enough through the top and hip for my liking. Still pretty green in her condition for being that old.

Solid heifer. I would like to see some more depth and expression to her. Looks good, just like to more of her.

...*on a side note*... I would like to see the champions from different states line up next to each other... just to see how they compare...think that would be cool...

I'm not going to lie and i'm not another horseguy when we registered her we aged her 2 months she is really nine months old. I had originally sent in the right birthdate but after i did some of the show people from up north tod me that if i wanted to compete that i should age her so i did. some people may say its wrong and i can agrre with them but after going to alot of show i realize that alot of people do it, i'm not saying that its right but i don't wanna waste my money and get beat or noit have a shot at somthing that is aged. And also she beat about 40-50 head at state fair you can ask RICHBURG she does need more depth and some more spring of rib but all in all i think she is a decent heifer. Please just don't think i'm not a horseguy, I'm not gonna try and hide anything i'm just trying be able to have fun and compete after all winning isn't everything but losing isn't fun. Thanks for listening

For those of you think that Florida does not have any show cattle have you been to a florida show recently? Yes we do have some good quality show cattle and some good shows. My kids have bought steers and heifers from all over the country. I will say that some of the Florida judges are still a few years behind and I hate showing under those judges but when we get the younger Florida judges or the out of state judges we do have some tough shows where some really good cattle win. We have been showing for years and I have seen the quality of calves do nothing but improve. We do have people who show at NAILE and Denver and they have done very well. I know that we planning are going to NAILE this year with our shorthorns and mainetainers so if you want to see Florida cattle come to NAILE or come on down to Florida I think you will be suprised. I did not go to state fair so I don't know who the judge was but our state show is a big show but not always the most competitive show. I have seen the heifer mentioned above in person a few months ago and she looked better than the picture.

Nice enough heifer. But I it's purely unethical to age calves like that. :mad: You're cheating the kids who have good calves and are showing them in the proper classes :mad:

showkid1200 said:
I'm not going to lie and i'm not another horseguy when we registered her we aged her 2 months she is really nine months old. I had originally sent in the right birthdate but after i did some of the show people from up north tod me that if i wanted to compete that i should age her so i did. some people may say its wrong and i can agrre with them but after going to alot of show i realize that alot of people do it,

You mean to tell me you changed the age to six months from nine? What is the matter with you? Is this a heifer from your herd? What if someone wants to buy her or other breeding stock from you? Are you going to tell them the correct age? Just because everyone does it, doesn't make it right. This is one aspect of show it hate. I know there are heifers we show against are older then what their papers say.

Texas26steerjock":3hzxm9nr said:
hey man haven't you heard the old saying it ain't cheatin if you don't get caught? good job, you just ratted yourself out!

Exactly.

Now all someone has to do is call up the Florida State Fair and tell them you admitted to cheating. You're animal will probably get stripped of its title and you could even get banned from showing there. Way to go, Smarty.

Showkid1200,
You deserve to get banned from showing all together. There is absolutely NO place for cheaters like you in the showring or in the cattle business anywhere.

I know I dont have a dog in this fight, but cheating is cheating is cheating. Do you think all the heifers you beat out did the same thing? This is why I just couldnt get into all this showing stuff. Half the time on here I cant tell if you guys are talking about a show calf or auto body restoration

Basically you won a highschool championship with a college team.

Just my two cents.

As far as the heifer though, it looks good enough for me. I would have it in my herd.

Just because so many others do it, don't make it right. Basically what you have done is won by cheating.

We go to a number of shows during the season, and its fairly common knowledge that one or two of the entries aren't in the age bracket they belong in. I've even been told by one of them that for my stepson to place better, that I should do it also. That is not something that I will ever do. If Kelly can't win his class with the correct age, then that's fine. The most important thing is that he performs to the very best of his ability. I'll step off my soapbox now.

I said not my type of heifer - it starts at the lack of depth in the fore rib and goes from there. As far as the aging in canada an admitting is you would ruin your reputation. As for steerjock that is why some fitters get bad reps. I have fitted my share of champions and bent rules when putting a fit on , but nothing like out and out cheating lying about the age of cattle. Show kid maybe you should disiplined but it comes down to this you won a championship , now the question that has to be asked is if the false age was the determining factor in the win. If she won for conformation i see no problem but if you won because of size for age huge problem. You are going to have to live with the consequences of what you did and everytime you win from now on you will be questioned how did you cheat this time. And if accused even in a honset win the cheating will be brought up. Just not good! What about the honest showman who you beat? or is everybody cheating. I think there must be some honest people. As for the adults in the picture are they your gaurdians. If so are they complisate? Did they know about this ageing? Not setting a good example if they were involved.

I was just thinking...and not only could the fair do something to him (disqualify the win, ban him from the show), he could also see punishment from the breed association in which the heifer is registered. I bet they would not be happy to hear that one of the state champions won by cheating.

Latest posts