reselling bulls...

Help Support CattleToday:

pdubdo

Reaction score
I usually rent a bull in the summer for my 5 females, but my options are really limited. So I'm considering buying a registered bull for June-July and re-selling him at the end of the season. Nothing fancy--seems like $2500-$3K price tag could get me something. Any tips for breaking even and not making a dumb mistake? Am I wrong in thinking that if I buy an 18-month bull and sell him as an almost 2 year old, he hasn't lost value and might even gain a bit? Any tips or suggestions appreciated. Y'all have coached me well over the years :)

Not knowing anything about your cows or your goals with them, is spending a lot of money on a good young bull that much better than just buying a older bull for around slaughter price and having him tested?

Reason I ask is I see quite a few Registered 5+ year old bulls come through the sale barn that no one wants for breeding so they go to the packers. Depending on slaughter prices staying the same, you can use one for 6 months or so and get most of your money back.

Check your state regulations. In Kansas:
Bulls that change possession or ownership within Kansas must meet one of the following criteria:
****Non-virgin bulls or bulls greater than 18 months of age:
****Must be tested for trichomoniasis and certified negative within 60 days prior to change of possession or ownership, OR
****Be sold for slaughter only or for feeding for slaughter purposes.

For only 5 cows, have you considered AI?

I like the idea of buying older bulls, but I'm trying to keep sale barn diseases out of my herd (understanding my perception may not be reality). I may ask around and see if I can buy a bull pre-sale barn for average price plus 10% or something like that. And I've considered ai, but I don't like 60-70% conception rate...I'd really like a bull that keeps trying till the deed is done :)

Check your state regulations. In Kansas:
Bulls that change possession or ownership within Kansas must meet one of the following criteria:
****Non-virgin bulls or bulls greater than 18 months of age:
****Must be tested for trichomoniasis and certified negative within 60 days prior to change of possession or ownership, OR
****Be sold for slaughter only or for feeding for slaughter purposes.

For only 5 cows, have you considered AI?
The last I knew here in OK most sale barns would test them for you. It takes about a week to get results back so the bull has to stay at the sale barn for that time.

For just 5 cows a young bull would work.
This time of year there are plenty of black yearling bulls at the sale barns. Semen tested,and sold as breeders. Most end up in a feed lot with a band around their nuts. You could probably but one for around $1,000, use him for a couple months then take him back. If it's a virgin bull you wouldn't have much to worry about as far as sale barn diseases are concerned.

I've done it a couple times when I've had a group of heifers to breed. Don't usually breed heifers so not much use in a heifer bull long term. I've kept them over till someone needs in the spring and re sell for what I paid for them. I get them tested for the next guy too. Buy a nice but reasonably priced bull and someone should be able to use it. I could see you not wanting to winter it in your situation in which case idk how easy it'd be to move in the off season. Few of the other suggestions might work better in that case.

In the past we would purchase a registered bull in the price range you mentioned and keep him for a few months, then a friend would take him for a few months (he calved a few months later than we did), then he would take him to the sale and we would divvy up the difference in purchase price and selling price.

This worked alright but we always lost a little money from buying a registered breeding bull, and selling a packer bull.

Used bulls are hard to sell for some reason. Maybe you have a neighbor who would sell you a yearling bull..... there are a lot of good looking bulls raised in commercial cow herds that just wind up in a feedlot as steers.

The only issue with trying to sell a young bull when you're done with him is that there may not be much demand for him if most others have the same breading season as you. Not many want to hold a young bull over the year until the next breading season, unless they are getting it cheap.

I think finding a mature bull that someone is done with because of retained daughters might be more cost effective. If you can buy direct from someone with a closed vaccinated herd would best, and you can get some idea of how they perform and what type of calves they throw. We've sent a few nice bulls to the sale that I wish someone else could have used.

[/QUOTE]
I think finding a mature bull that someone is done with because of retained daughters might be more cost effective. If you can buy direct from someone with a closed vaccinated herd would best, and you can get some idea of how they perform and what type of calves they throw. We've sent a few nice bulls to the sale that I wish someone else could have used.
[/QUOTE]

Bingo! My husband's cousin has a really nice Limo bull that's about 6 that he's selling for $2500 for that exact reason. If he still has him in 45-60days , I'll probably buy him to use on some super baldies. We're moving to a late February / March calving and don't have a good place to keep him for the time being.

Can you breed a baby back to a sister and mother? I am very confused with what I have read in other posts about in-breeding vs line-breeding. I have a milking bull coming with my purchase and am trying to figure out if I need to plan on selling him off after he weens.

Can you breed a baby back to a sister and mother? I am very confused with what I have read in other posts about in-breeding vs line-breeding. I have a milking bull coming with my purchase and am trying to figure out if I need to plan on selling him off after he weens.
The best cow I've bought was a result of a son and mother mating. I wouldn't reccomend doing this with a dairy bull though.

I don't know anything about dairy cattle but I kept a really nice bull from an AI mating. Debated on keeping his momma but I did. He breeds her and I've had no issues. I wont keep any of those offspring though.

We buy our bulls at registered sales. Usually, we can get a very good bull around $2K - $2.5K (We also picked up a yearling bull once for $1,250). We'll use him a couple of years and have also rented him out when our breeding season is over. We've had good luck at getting most of our money back when we sell at the local barn or if an individual is interested.

Latest posts