required hay??

Help Support CattleToday:

triple'S'

Reaction score
I am deffinatly going to have to do some hay rationing to make it until my ryegrass pastures get up this spring? Can anyone tell me approximatly what a 1000-1200lb cow requires in pounds per day of hay. Just assume no grass. They do get minerals and salt. Now I know they will eat more but how many lbs/day do they require to stay in average flesh. They are also 6-8 months bred
thanks

triple'S'":1g5wjkrk said:
I am deffinatly going to have to do some hay rationing to make it until my ryegrass pastures get up this spring? Can anyone tell me approximatly what a 1000-1200lb cow requires in pounds per day of hay. Just assume no grass. They do get minerals and salt. Now I know they will eat more but how many lbs/day do they require to stay in average flesh. They are also 6-8 months bred
thanks

30 lbs

Depending on how cold it is I would say 35 pounds.
On cold days maybe up to 55 lbs.

Yes they should have free choice minerals year round.

The one I feed is a local concocksion with soy bean mill and salt added, 20% protein, self limiting [aprox. 1 lb per day]
cost 200.00 per ton.

hillbilly

triple'S'":l41qs0nv said:
thanks

According to Morrison's Feeds & Feeding a dry bred 1000lb cow needs 14.2-20.0 lb dry matter & .7-.8 lb digestible protein. a 1200 cow needs 16.3-22.8 lb dry matter & .8-.9 lb digestible protein.

You can ration hay by unrolling bales so all cows can have access to it at the same time.The attached link is a source for a simple, inexpensive unroller.

http://www.perry-co.com/hay.htm

Hope this is helpful.

Sure hope our prayers for rain are answered soon. It's gettin' real serious around here too.

Good luck and best regards

Brock

Texas PaPaw":v84diu3d said:
triple'S'":v84diu3d said:
thanks

According to Morrison's Feeds & Feeding a dry bred 1000lb cow needs 14.2-20.0 lb dry matter & .7-.8 lb digestible protein. a 1200 cow needs 16.3-22.8 lb dry matter & .8-.9 lb digestible protein.

You can ration hay by unrolling bales so all cows can have access to it at the same time.The attached link is a source for a simple, inexpensive unroller.

Hope this is helpful.

Sure hope our prayers for rain are answered soon. It's gettin' real serious around here too.

Brock

Is that in Texas or Canada?
Poster is somewhere in between

hillbilly":j07j84zm said:
Texas PaPaw":j07j84zm said:
triple'S'":j07j84zm said:
thanks

Hope this is helpful.

Brock

Is that in Texas or Canada?
Poster is somewhere in between
Defiantly not canada,my cows would starve to death.If that's all i would feed them at -40c.

thanks ya'll. Thats a big help. It won't get much colder than 20 degrees here on some of the coldest nights and most days make it into the 40's or even 50's. I'm going to to figure on 30-40 lbs. I might can make it last. ONce again, I appreciate the advise.

George":2l4rdems said:
,my cows would starve to death.If that's all i would feed them at -40c.
i am sure you meant -40F... right? :lol2: or was it -40C? or was it -40F? :p

sry... weird things entertain me. ;-)

Aero":3v06iwcr said:
George":3v06iwcr said:
,my cows would starve to death.If that's all i would feed them at -40c.
i am sure you meant -40F... right? :lol2: or was it -40C? or was it -40F? :p

sry... weird things entertain me. ;-)

You may or may not know this - the temp is exactly the same at minus 40 C or F.

Here is a potential supplement article you folks may find interesting - contacts at the bottome.

Let Them Eat Straw
Stretching Feed Supplies For Wintering Beef Cows

Author: Tom Hamilton - Beef Cattle Production Systems Program Lead/OMAF
Creation Date: 04 February 2004
Last Reviewed: 04 February 2004

Winter feed supply for the beef cow herd is an issue in many parts of Ontario. As a result of depressed cull cow prices, many producers have held back more cows in the herd than normal. In addition, a combination of low forage yields and poor harvesting conditions have farmers digging deep for feeding alternatives. Getting the cows through the remainder of this winter will be tough.

One alternative available to many producers is to include straw in the ration. Good quality straw is a surprisingly good energy source for ruminants. With percent Total Digestible Nutrients (TDN) values in the mid-40's, straw can be much more than just a filler, providing a significant proportion of energy needs. However, straw is low in protein (only 4 percent to 5 percent) so the ration must include an adequate source of protein, along with the appropriate mineral mix and salt. Oat straw is more palatable than barley straw, while barley straw is more palatable than wheat straw. Since oat straw is also the highest in energy content, it is the best choice for cow rations, followed by barley straw.

The best candidates for straw feeding are mature dry cows in good body condition, up to six weeks away from calving. These animals have the lowest nutritional requirements of any in the herd. Save your best forages for bred heifers and young cows pregnant with their second calf, as well as for post-calving rations. Thin cows should be grouped with the bred heifer group to enable them to consume enough nutrients for successful calving and re-breeding.

If you have access to some good quality hay (16 percent protein) this can be fed in a 60/40, straw/hay mix to supply adequate energy and protein. With an average quality hay (12 percent protein), go to a 50/50 mix, and with a low quality hay (9 percent protein), cut straw back to 30 percent of the ration.

The above rations work out fine on a calculator, but actually feeding them to the cows can be challenging. Feeding straw and hay in separate feeders at the same time doesn't work well. Cows will usually prefer the hay and will compete vigorously for the more palatable feed. The dominant cows will get their fill of the good stuff, leaving the sub-dominant animals to make do with the lower quality feed. If a bale processor is available, chopping the higher and lower quality bales together is ideal. Feeding this mixture will prevent most of the sorting by the cows, and even if bunk space is limited, less aggressive animals will be well-fed. An alternative to processing is to feed the different roughage sources on alternate days. With enough feeder space, all of the cows will be able to consume their fill of high quality forage on one day, and max out on low quality feed the next. In order to prevent waste, match the daily amount of feed offered to the consumption level of the group.

If hay is not available, straw can be used as the only roughage source, as long as an adequate grain mix is also fed. An example ration would be free choice barley or oat straw, 5 lbs. of corn grain and 1 lb. of 40 percent protein supplement (offer a 2:1 mineral free choice). Feeding grain or concentrate to beef cows is easier said than done! The grain should be fed whole or coarsely processed so it does not digest too quickly. And it is essential that all cows have access to the grain at the same time. If this doesn't happen, the dominant cows will eat all of it (possibly getting into grain overload), with timid cows left to sniff at the dust left behind. For a small number of cows and a small amount of concentrate, you can pail it out in a rough lumber bunk-as long as you can keep ahead of the cows! For larger numbers, you need some kind of fenceline feeder or long bunk with mechanized feed delivery.

When roughage sources such as hay or straw are in very short supply or very expensive, feeding a ration where grain supplies most of the nutrients, and the forage source is limit-fed, is an option. In this case, feeding management has to be exceptional to avoid unequal consumption and resultant digestive upsets. Each cow needs to consume a minimum of 5 lbs. of palatable hay each day to provide sufficient fibre for proper rumen function. The forage should be fed prior to the concentrate to minimize the potential of grain overload. An example ration would be 6 lbs. of hay, 9 lbs. of corn grain, 2 lbs. of 40 percent protein supplement, and 0.2 lbs. of limestone. Since total dry matter intake will be much less than the maximum for these cows, they will feel like they haven't had enough, and may bawl for feed or eat twigs in an attempt to satisfy their appetite.

Using alternative feed sources such as straw and concentrates can allow beef cow-calf managers to stretch their conventional forage sources. Cost out the alternatives to come up with the best plan for your operation.

| Top of Page |

For more information:
Toll Free: 1-877-424-1300
Local: (519) 826-4047
Email: [email protected]

Latest posts