Replacement females???

Help Support CattleToday:

People who raise heifers to sell for replacements do so at weaning, plumb up to 10-12, even 14 -16 months old. Check out J & L and see the ages ( and prices) of those replacement heifers. About the same ages as you sell heifers for stockers, feeders, etc. Like you would a terminal cross heifer. Where as a retained replacement, costs you to raise for 2 and 1/2 years before you see any money out of her. That is how I interpret what people mean by they are more expensive than a bought replacement. Granted, if you buy replacements at weaning, these costs will be the same as you have with retained. Buy a 14-16 mos old bred heifer, and you don't have as much of the costs as raising your own for 2 and 1/2 years. Retaining, you are kinda stuck with what you got., where as buying, you can get any genetics you want, and potentially get a better producer. And you don't have to change bulls every year. It is kind of like low-rick, low-return mutual funds vs high-rick, high return funds. Personally, if I was in cow/calf, I would rather buy 2nd calf cows..or even heifers that have had their first calf already. preferably with it on her side.
Don't you mean J&J.

I have not been impressed with their heifers. I saw a group that was bought and sent down here and they fell apart. They really push the feed to them. I saw some heifers I had cut sold on their website. I'm not sure if they bought them from the AB and pushed feed to them to resale or if some one bought them from the AB and grouped them up and sold them to J&J. Either way, they will be disappointed. They were cut from my group for a reason. They were pretty but the mommas had bag issues later on in life.

Last edited:
That's it right there. The same guy, Warren, tells us to go buy Brangus heifers at a sale because we can't raise them that cheap. How do people think the sellers make money off those heifers at that sale? Do people think they put all that on and lose money on those heifers every year and stay in business.

You don't even have to be in the cattle business to see that doesn't make sense.🤣
Another one of your outlandish lies or drunken hallucinations. I shouldn't even dignify your crap with a response, but.....I have NOT told anyone " to go buy Brangus heifers at a sale because we can't raise them that cheap". And a production sale of registered stock, has absolutely nothing at all to do with the topic on this thread anyway. Try reading posts and commenting when you are sober. No wonder your family won't let you have anything to do with their cattle business.

Another one of your outlandish lies or drunken hallucinations. I shouldn't even dignify your crap with a response, but.....I have NOT told anyone " to go buy Brangus heifers at a sale because we can't raise them that cheap". And a production sale of registered stock, has absolutely nothing at all to do with the topic on this thread anyway. Try reading posts and commenting when you are sober. No wonder your family won't let you have anything to do with their cattle business.
Where's your pictures?

It's not if that is where you want to be.

Just don't wonder why your calves are bringing the price on the left and not the right. Right now that about a 0.30 spread so $150ish dollars on a a #525 steer. Multiple that times 10 calves and the avg cow cost you $1500.

So when you go buy those cows... make sure they guarantee you top price calves or all that money you "saved" don't mean squat, long term.
I have no where near top cows. Broken mouth sale yard sweethearts. Bred to? a bull. In 2022 they split my steers into 3 groups by weight. On the day I sold the steers all topped the sale for their weight. The heifers were just a penny or two off being the highest sold heifers in their weight. And that sale has the buyers for the big Treasure Valley feedlots (Simplot, Agribeef, and others) They know cattle and buy buy hundreds of thousands of calves every year. The exception that year was a heifer that I considered a Longhorn cross (not out of a LH cow). Those buyers saw what I saw and paid about $1 less for her.

Ha Ha you finally acknowledged me. I thought you had gotten use to cowering and talking out the side of your mouth.

Between the two of us... we all know who the liar is 😉😘 Keep it up... I'm still waiting to see those before and after pics you promised everyone. That's right... you hid back under your rock after I called you out.

Look here... this guy knows so little about cattle this is what he resorts to rather than sharing his real life experiences, and pictures, and knowledge.

Bravo sir. You showed your true colors. 🎉

Look here... this guy knows so little about cattle this is what he resorts to rather than sharing his real life experiences, and pictures, and knowledge.

Bravo sir. You showed your true colors. 🎉
If you want to see his "real life" experiences you need to check out that "Another... "Last" Update" thread. That's just chock full of "real life".;)

And, a herd that was meticulously put together by buying the best cows and heifers available, has at least equally, if not a better, chance of being much better than a herd of retained heifers. .

That is exactly the 2 reasons that people don't retain heifers. That, and they don't want to feed something for 2 and 1/2 years with no return. I find it amusing that some of the people that think retaining heifers and waiting those 2 and a half years is the best way, are the same ones that spout off how they "culled" a cow because she calved a month later than the others.! Or cull a cow because her calf died, because they don't want to wait 9 months to get another one!

or are perfectly happy with an average herd or really don't know excellent cattle to start with.
I find this to be more true amongst those who are in to the retaining thing. With commercial breeders...not seedstock. producers. Especially with the smaller operators, hobby ranchers, etc. Anyone can not carry a calf to the sale, and let it get bred . But it takes a lot of knowledge and years of experience, to be able to successfully buy good cattle.
What a load of crap :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Give me that average cow who brings a market calf year after year with good efficiency over someone's idea of a fancy cow that requires more, time more feed etc etc.
Average cows that make money year after year are what we should all want.
I've never seen a good cow that needed more than a poor cow. Please tell me how that works.

Not me...

I want an above average calf weaned every 12 months...

If average weaning weight for you is 500lbs, I want to wean 501lbs hahaha.

Fertility, efficiency and the ability to get by with less pay my bills, not a weaning weight. Bragging about weaning weight satisfies coffee row and not much else.
My average girls have spent most of the winter digging through snow and eating some pretty marginal feed. I'm just sure they aren't as good as great as everyone else's cows here. They're humble.

Fertility, efficiency and the ability to get by with less pay my bills, not a weaning weight. Bragging about weaning weight satisfies coffee row and not much else.
My average girls have spent most of the winter digging through snow and eating some pretty marginal feed. I'm just sure they aren't as good as great as everyone else's cows here. They're humble.
Don't play the victim now. You and your partner started this by telling the rest of us we cant produce a better animal than we can buy with out knowing jack squat about any ones operations. That is the defintion of arrogance. This thread was real civil right up until that point. You are in Canada and Im in STX. You dont know squat about how to operate here.

Last edited:
But if I can raise a cow that eats the same feed as yours but weans a heavier calf every 12 months then why wouldn't I....?

I live in an area of fairly poor forage and typically harsh winters. If an animal can't thrive on mediocre hay and grass then she has no business here.

So by retaining heifers from cows that perform above average on what's in front of them, the likely hood that those heifers will also do above average is high.

Latest posts