Remote Water Usage Reporting

Help Support CattleToday:

Pablo

Reaction score
I am not at my ranch property on a daily basis. When I first bought the property the rural water cooperative called me to inform me that a neighbor had reported water running across the county road from my property, and by the time I got it fixed I had leaked an acre foot of water that cost me $1200.

With the exceptional drought that we are experiencing in central Texas, my two ponds are almost dry. If they go dry, I will either have to sell my cattle (10 cows, 1 bull, three calves) or turn on a watering tank.

Does anyone know of any system that will allow remote monitoring of daily water usage on my side of the meter, possibly computer based? I'm afraid to just leave it on and face another huge bill from pipe breakage.

Any other ideas?

I had the same thing happen. Now I check daily. About the only thing I know of is a good neighbor. Maybe a high school kid you could pay.

I Googled "remote water meter reading" and several hits came up. I would check with an irrigation company. I believe they have ways to monitor their pivot systems for water usage

Your approach to monitoring the water system is too expensive and sophisticated. Get a battery operated yard sprinkler solenoid. Put that device on your side of the meter and at the meter. Adjust the timer to where you allow the water to turn on just a few times a day and for the length of time to assure that all the cattle can drink.

I had a place one time that i was not able to check, but ever few days.
i bought a 3000 gallon poly storage tank and a 10' trough.
i filled both tank and trough and installed a float valve on the trough with water from the tank.
when i'd go check the cattle i'd top off the the tank.
fixed my problems

Pablo
I have owned it for approximately 5 years. It is surprising how long the batteries last. Seems as if they last more than a year. I have never had the device to malfunction. It is a little aggravation to set the timer the first time, was for me anyway. I do bring the timer inside each Winter.

Thanks for the ideas! I think I will go with a sprinkler timer and valve for now. I'd sure love to drill a well, but can't swing it right now.

Paul

Put a gate valve on your side of the meter where you can regulate the flow. Turn the water pressure down to a steady dribble. Put a float valve on a 300 - 500 gallon tank. This will keep the tanks full and if you have a leak you will lose 500 gallons a day instead of 10,000. also less pressure will make your float work better. If you get the flow setting right it will dribble most of the time and fill up completely at night and be no lower than about half during the day.

We have a cheap pickup tank. It hauls 450 gallons of water. Take it out once a day. It waters 16 cows and 13 calves no problem.

Latest posts