Remember these ???

Help Support CattleToday:

nope, we skipped a lot of technology, very shortly after we got off the party line I got a nokia cell phone.. them old indestructible bricks!

the 1st mobile phone I had was a Motorola that was so big it filled up 1/2 a car trunk.
Next ones, when I worked the oilfield in Austin Chalk play, was called a 'ranch radio' that looked like a CB radio.just a special 2 way radio called SMR or Specialized Mobile Radio. You pushed a pushed a button, which dialed a mobile operator, and you told the operator what # you wanted, and the operator connected you to whoever you wanted to call. The 'ringer' was connected to your truck or car horn. So many people had them, the little watering hole I used to frequent, there was forever someone's horn going off and 1/2 the place would go running out to see if it was their ranch radio calling, since the horns all sounded the same.

Had one about 20 years ago. Believe it was an Audiovox or something like that. Bag phone. Roaming charges were steep. But I will say this. In the area where I live, that old bag phone talked 10 times better than my iPhone does. It never dropped a call. My iPhone worked better 3 years ago than it does now. I think Verizon manipulates the reception to force customers to upgrade.

In 1997,when I was 25, I borrowed an large chunk of cash from the bank to purchase a business. When I left the bank, I headed straight to the phone company to transfer a motorola bag phone from previous business owner over to my name. They wouldn't let me sign for the phone without my fathers signature. The previous owner argued with the phone company but they still refused. Had to get my old man to sign on dotted line FOR A CELL PHONE !!!!!! How the times and technology has changed.

Latest posts