Reluctant cows

Help Support CattleToday:

groveman14

Reaction score
Anytime I drive to my holding pens all my cows come running since I generally reward them for coming with cubes or corn. Regardless as to whether I have 10 or 50 cows there are always a couple who are reluctant to come in and along with them are a few calves. The cows are the ones we generally call the "nurse maids." Most times when I work them for flies etc. they don't get sprayed because I can't get to them and I have no horses to drive them with the group. Any one ever experience this, and any ideas as to changing thier behavior? Thanx for your help.

jkwilson":22vbew6i said:
Most likely these cows are low in the pecking order and know they will get knocked around in close quarters.
if that is the case you need a bigger catch pin.

I be suprised if ya can be changin this behavior groveman.Some just be downright untrustin of us.Take my old bull - he can spot a strange object in ya hand ( spray, powder, etc) from a mile away. Won't come within 50 ft of ya. No way ta fool him. Any other time he be happy ta eat outa ya hand. Cautious cows likely remain that way all they lives.Good luck.
george

groveman14":3fi6ls2n said:
Anytime I drive to my holding pens all my cows come running since I generally reward them for coming with cubes or corn. Regardless as to whether I have 10 or 50 cows there are always a couple who are reluctant to come in and along with them are a few calves. The cows are the ones we generally call the "nurse maids." Most times when I work them for flies etc. they don't get sprayed because I can't get to them and I have no horses to drive them with the group. Any one ever experience this, and any ideas as to changing thier behavior? Thanx for your help.

When I was a kid on the dairy, Daddy didn't need anything to drive them up...he made my brother and sister and I do it.

Alice

If you have more then 1 cow, there will alwasy be at least one that's reluctant. Patience and a method of getting behind them to gentle herd them along is all I've everseen work in the long run

dun

Everthing pens or the dog is going on you and when it gets penned I will give it a free ride. I also feed cubes about once a week in the pens. I have just got to old and set in my ways to put up with a loner.

It always seems like there are a couple of shy ones. I think the pecking order thereory is close. As far as spraying for flies, if you get the rest of the cows sprayed, it seems like it takes care of the problem. It seems to me the flys are going from cow to cow anyway, and spraying just part of the herd works pretty good.

mnmt

I know that the TSCRA boys say not to feed in a pen, but I do. I have another full time job besides "cowboying" the cows; I want them to coming running to me and the pens when I holler. If one of them consistenly does not get with the program, she ( or he for that matter) gets a one way ticket to town.

When it starts winter, they'll get hungry and eventually have to come in with the rest. When that happens, sell, sell, sell. Then you will have two more that stay out..... :p

Caustic Burno":wv0m8ix9 said:
Everthing pens or the dog is going on you and when it gets penned I will give it a free ride. I also feed cubes about once a week in the pens. I have just got to old and set in my ways to put up with a loner.

Pretty much my theory. I don't give the free ride, but the dogs persuade them pretty good. Maybe you should consider building a lane (or a trap) that has a lot of room. Feed them in the lane and when you want to pen them you still have control.

Put your salt & mineral in the catch pen area. The ones that are hesitant to come in whether it's being shy/timid or smart/suspicious for anything else will come in for salt. If it contiunes to be a problem they need to go down the road.

We have a "alley way" that is about 100 yds. long between two pastures and leads to the corral. It's wide ( 40' or so) at the spot where the pastures tie together and narrows down to about 10' where it hits the corral. We'll put out feed or hay and let them all get in there and then shut the gates and drive the reluctant ones on down to the corral.

Works for us at least.

;-)

Latest posts