relocating cattle.

Help Support CattleToday:

Lon

Reaction score
i was talking to a neighbor the other day and he was saying something about a guy buying pot loads of cattle from texas and oklahoma and bringing up here, all kinds longhorns blacks eared ones, because he could pick them up at a better deal and ship them cheaper than buying pairs around here in the end. so he says.
i dont think the ones with ear would do any good because of our winters. the ones raised round here for bucking stock do all right but have been around for genereations.i havent seen to many sent up here but the few i heard of said sure took alot of feed to get no where in the winter time. now i am wondering if a guy did think about going this route if it was possible how do you all think they would do. for grass where i would be running it is a hard grass just to name a few right off hand is stuff like bromegrass. wheatgrass western and crested bufflo grass and more. do you guys think they would hold well in the winter time with the change of how cold we get and stay. and i here you guys talk about your grass down there was wondering if they would perform good on grass like we have or not gain get to fat what would a guy be looking at. summer time we run mid 80s to mid 90 consistently usually not to humid but this year has been alot of 100 and real humid for us. but winters we get alot of cold warm up get real cold type weather with alot of heavy snow.
wondering can you actually pick them up that cheap down that way right now and how they would do. prices for us right now seems to get close to 2000 for a decent pair and i have even been seeing longhorn pairs bringing 900 to 1000.

If your gonna get some cows from down here, get em now. Those cows will get fat as butterballs on the rich grass that you are growing. I think you should mother those cows up with cows in your herd. You might be amazed at what your cows will teach them, such as how to dig through the snow for standing forage. Also I would buy those cattle from the panhandle region of Texas, because they will have dealt with snow and ice.

Cattle with ear can probably make it. Just like Angus can make it in south Texas. The problem is they don't do well. Brahman will need extra forage to fight the cold. Although their hair grows longer, they typically do not have the hair coat or back-fat needed for those conditions, so they will require more energy to keep their temperature up.

Latest posts