Reloading Rifle Shells

Help Support CattleToday:

crop/hail

Reaction score
I have a savage 270 that I bought just to take Mule Deer hunting in New Mexico. I have it dialed in using hornady 130gr bullets (makes about a 4in group at 200yds). Got a Mule deer 2 out of the last 3 years with it. I have a neighbor that reloads shells (he's retired and its his hobby) that offered to reload some for me. Should I mess with reloads or leave well enough alone. Also, I have heard that reloads can mess your gun up (too hot).

Some people always try to "improve" velocitys and frquently goose the loads way to hot. Unless they are nutty hot they won;t hurt a quality gun. That all said, one cardinal rule is "YOU NEVER SHOOT SOMEONE ELSES RELOADS". I would stick with factory stuff

dun":2hg900wh said:
Some people always try to "improve" velocitys and frquently goose the loads way to hot. Unless they are nutty hot they won;t hurt a quality gun. That all said, one cardinal rule is "YOU NEVER SHOOT SOMEONE ELSES RELOADS". I would stick with factory stuff

^^^^^^ what he said, unless you REALLY trust the guy. I have been reloading for about 30 years, and I won't shoot anyone else's reloads, even though I do reload for two of my hunting buddies. The goal in reloading is not to make a "hot" round, but to develop a load that works for that particular rifle. A round that works well in one gun, may shoot like sheit in another rifle of the same make. It takes a lot of time to develop a load for a particular rifle, if your friend is not gonna take the time to do that, stick with factory ammo.

Ol' 243":aevzwu51 said:
dun":aevzwu51 said:

^^^^^^ what he said, unless you REALLY trust the guy. I have been reloading for about 30 years, and I won't shoot anyone else's reloads, even though I do reload for two of my hunting buddies. The goal in reloading is not to make a "hot" round, but to develop a load that works for that particular rifle. A round that works well in one gun, may shoot like sheit in another rifle of the same make. It takes a lot of time to develop a load for a particular rifle, if your friend is not gonna take the time to do that, stick with factory ammo.
A good friend of mine reloaded and tried to turn a 223 into a 22-250 and a 220 swift into whothehellknows what. This was a guy that always preached moderation. He still was overcome by the desire for just that little more. When he died I got a bunch of his ammo from his wife. Looked at the data on the box and promptly pulled every round, dumped the powder and reloaded with rounds that I was satisfied with.

I have a good friend that reloads 223 for me. I wouldn't trust anyone else I know right now to do it. His OCD is over the top. Very particular and thorough. Be careful about who is reloading for you. I plan to reload myself one of these days. I don't shoot a lot right now, and I'm very comfortable with him doing it for me.

That said, we took my rifle, Savage 10 PC, from a .4 to .5 grouper with factory match to a solid .3" shooter, with a best group of .252" so far. These are 3 shot groups at 100.

Every rifle is different, but I think you might be able to cut that group to 1 moa, which would be 2" at 200. Savages I've been around have been shooters with reloads. Pre accustock models may need to be bedded to get much better than that in a 270. What you are shooting now is good for a close deer rifle. If it is worth the work/time/components will depend on what you want it to be able to do.

Reloads are like underwear, never use someone else's. With that being said you might want to look at doing it yourself. You can get everything you need for about $200, and most people, myself included, enjoy reloading more than shooting.

dun":1ly1jkxf said:

I completely agree Dun.
Now I reload pistol,shotgun and rifle but I am a weird duck.
I prefer a 16 gauge with double aught, still shoot a 32-40 hunting load find that at your local sporting goods.
Never have found a hot load that was super accurate in my experience it has always been
10 to 15% below max.

Ol' 243":1b1n70mo said:
hillbilly beef man":1b1n70mo said:
You can get everything you need for about $200,

LMAO

I wish you might get by with one caliber using a Lee single stage,one set of dies.
By the time you buy bullets,primers and powder you are over 2 bills.
It would scare me to start adding up what I have in reloading supplies.

Caustic Burno":2ugj8h4l said:
Ol' 243":2ugj8h4l said:
hillbilly beef man":2ugj8h4l said:
You can get everything you need for about $200,

LMAO

I wish you might get by with one caliber using a Lee single stage,one set of dies.
By the time you buy bullets,primers and powder you are over 2 bills.
It would scare me to start adding up what I have in reloading supplies.

I said what you need, not what you want. I could buy a decent truck for what I have in mine, but I got by for years with just the basic Lee press and dies.

Thanks for the input guys. I think Ill leave well enough alone and just stick to Hornady ammo. Hell its taken down 2 mule deer bucks at 300 plus yards each time. I could go to a larger grain bullet but I find that my rifle isn't near as accurate at 200 with anything larger than 130(probably the case with most of em). I know what my gun will do with that load and I know what it wont do.

Latest posts