registered vs nonregistered

Help Support CattleToday:

AllForage":34052f9u said:
A couple things I have learned from here.....

First thing is buy a son out of a famous hot AI sire, then start a post 3 months later asking about the bulls sire.

Next, do some unspeakable things to your local AI tech, feedmill guys, and breed rep so they give you the "skinny" on who is really got the good cows. Nwmo turned me on to this tip.

Then move to the corn belt where grain is cheap and plenty. That's how good cows are bred. Don't feed apple cores.

Make sure they are black

Lastly be able to rattle off pedigrees as if you have personally owned every animal and know what they were like. Even better to buy them from totally different environments. Assume every cow in the pedigree will pass on all their traits and make a awesome cattle stew with your herd.

Hope this helps!!!!

I knew this place would be more fun when you got back. :D :D :D

Glad you are back, my friend.

I don't have registered stock, the closest 1 would be #47, but I digress.
I have 'Cow Cards' for each cow. Her DOB, breeding dates, bull name, calving dates, birthweights, weaning weights, sale dates (on calves as well as the cow), sale price, etc. Doesn't take but a minute or 2 to enter the info at the respective times. All the cards are in a binder, easy to get to when needed.

I too know a couple of "registered" folks who don't keep as much of a detailed records. I guess its the German in me LOL.

I actually prefer to run just purebred cattle over registered cattle in todays market. Papers are papers but you can still have bad animals that are registered.

im in the same boat with beefmasters..all purebred animals..not reg..always thought it was too much trouble..kind of is..some of the info i already track tho..most of it...

but if yo dont have something that the market will pay more for then the point of registration is moot.
hauling a reg bull calf to the market wont bring more here than a plain ole comm steer will..and less work.
finding a demand for your animals may prove harder than managing the paperwork to reg them