registered vs nonregistered

Help Support CattleToday:

Backforty

Reaction score
What are the benefits of running registered angus vs nonregistered, and what does a guy have to do to officially run registered cattle.
What rules apply to the rancher trying to run a "registered operation".

What needs to be done is dependant on the breed association. Some are in it to improve the breed while others appear to be just in it to get the dues. Whateve breed you have to belong to the association to register animals. Best to contact the appropriate brred association and get the information from them on what is required. Selling registered breeding stock takes time to develop a reputaion to be able to sell for more then just generic unregistered animals. Even registered, some animals will/should be sold as meat and not breeders.

Obviously, after all I only own 2 holstein and this is my first year trying to do a little something and learn about cattle. On another note my lack of knowledge is what drives me to ask these kinds of questions. Now if you could answer the original question or give me some information on an area where I can start researching that would be most helpful and appreciated.

Backforty":1a7vcudx said:
Obviously, after all I only own 2 holstein and this is my first year trying to do a little something and learn about cattle. On another note my lack of knowledge is what drives me to ask these kinds of questions. Now if you could answer the original question or give me some information on an area where I can start researching that would be most helpful and appreciated.
The various breed associations would be your best source.

Red bull breeder gave you really insightfull advice. Dun answered your question pretty well, but red bull gave you really good advice.

Backforty":3ucmqwhf said:
What are the benefits of running registered angus vs nonregistered, and what does a guy have to do to officially run registered cattle.
What rules apply to the rancher trying to run a "registered operation".

Why Angus?
To officially run registered cattle, Dun nailed it. Pay your dues, keep accurate records and pay the fees to register. The same rules apply to a commercial versus registered herd, but you pay more to run registered. Hopefully it pays off in the end, and after developing a good reputation you can recoup some of your fees to raise registered cattle... but that takes a long time.

The comments that are here are correct. One of the most important is going to be record keeping. There are many commercial operations that keep better records than registered owners do.

One of the things with registered cattle is an opportunity for selling bulls. But with the prices that feeder cattle are bringing today one really has to decide if it is worth the extra cost to raise breeding bulls. Maybe with prices being so high, breeders will be more selective as to what they keep for bulls to sell.

As for selling breeding stock heifers or cows, quality animals commercial or registered will always sell well. With registered animals you have a smaller market, with commercials more producers may be interested.

Above all, whether you are commercial or registered, you need to have a quality herd.

We have two registries, Composite Beef Cattle Registry http://www.compositebeef.com and Composite Dairy Cattle Registry http://www.dairycattleregistry.com With our beef cattle registry, you can start from commercial animals and grade up to a registered herd, (many other breeds also allow for this, but some breeds have closed herdbooks, example: Angus and Hereford). Our dairy registry, again you can grade up to purebred, we represent many of the non traditional dairy breeds, Fleckvieh, Montbeliarde, Norwegian red, Red Dane, Swedish Red, and other crosses that producers want to register and identify the ancestry.

There has to be a market. Supply and demand. Some breeds have way too much supply and only a market demand.

Think counterintuitive. Several hundred breeders out there would like to help you get started. A few will help you market your product.

Record keeping on cattle is kind of like keeping a checkbook register. How do you know where you are without information.

While birth weights are important, it is not always easy or practical to do in many commercial operations. Weaning weights would certainly be nice, gives you a better idea of how well a cow is producing, visual is not always accurate.

Vaccinations and herd health are important. I know of a couple of producers that write things down in notebooks. One had several notebooks and never put things in order, he would just open up the book to a blank page and start writing. Because of this type of record keeping he ended up vaccinating and worming over 100 head of animals a second time, ( he said that that cost him over $1000 ). A couple of days later he was looking in another book for some information and ran across where he had written down the information on the group of cows that he had just worked for the second time. He had previously done them 5 weeks earlier.

Vaccinations and information on calves with validation also add $$$$$ when you sell. Knowing that calves have had proper vaccinations and management practices can add money to your bottom line.

If you have good information and if buyers going forward can keep information together, many times when your cattle go to slaughter, they will give you a copy of how well your cattle performed. Then you can see what changes you may need to make in your genetics or other practices.

skyhightree1":25ewgwpa said:
The record keeping is why I do commercial less headache.
theres not that much to record keeping unless you have a rush order like i did this year.just record the calves bday on the dams personal records who the calves sire is.and always have your reg #s handy as well as the reg book.i sold 3 heifer calves in mid march when they was less than a month old.put a rush on the papers to reg them.then when i got emm back put a rush on the transfers.sent the calves to their new homes about 2wks ago.

bigbull338":384jpgg9 said:
skyhightree1":384jpgg9 said:
theres not that much to record keeping unless you have a rush order like i did this year.just record the calves bday on the dams personal records who the calves sire is.and always have your reg #s handy as well as the reg book.i sold 3 heifer calves in mid march when they was less than a month old.put a rush on the papers to reg them.then when i got emm back put a rush on the transfers.sent the calves to their new homes about 2wks ago.

I'd be more worried about fences.

There's a dang nice Charolais herd I pass every day. There's been a bull in there more than once that was not Char. It is from down the road.

Some good advice here, record keeping should be done on either so you know how your cattle are performing. With Angus theres an app for your phone I put calves in when there born and everything through yearling, may have 5 minutes time in the whole animals life.
With registered you have 2 markets to sell in, if there not good enough to paper there commercial.
Cost can be a little more to buy purebreds. Id get the best i could afford and build. everybody starts somewhere. Talk to folks figure out a reputable breeder in your area and visit with them, most will help but sadly there are the few that will try and skin ya, take your time and look.

A couple things I have learned from here.....

First thing is buy a son out of a famous hot AI sire, then start a post 3 months later asking about the bulls sire.

Next, do some unspeakable things to your local AI tech, feedmill guys, and breed rep so they give you the "skinny" on who is really got the good cows. Nwmo turned me on to this tip.

Then move to the corn belt where grain is cheap and plenty. That's how good cows are bred. Don't feed apple cores.

Make sure they are black

Lastly be able to rattle off pedigrees as if you have personally owned every animal and know what they were like. Even better to buy them from totally different environments. Assume every cow in the pedigree will pass on all their traits and make a awesome cattle stew with your herd.

Hope this helps!!!!

backhoeboogie":2unn3m0h said:
bigbull338":2unn3m0h said:
skyhightree1":2unn3m0h said:

I'd be more worried about fences.

There's a dang nice Charolais herd I pass every day. There's been a bull in there more than once that was not Char. It is from down the road.

My records consist of date the # cow getting bred and what bull and due date - done lol no registering them and paying any additional fees.

BHB I don't have to worry about other bulls cause I am the only one that has cattle with in about 15 miles lol

Latest posts