Registered vs Commercial

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills":k8tjboke said:
ddd75":k8tjboke said:
kentuckyguy":k8tjboke said:
I wasn't sure if they were able to do anything with a blood test. Most of our young heifers and cows go back to a stonegate angus bull that never was registered.

i bought 2 of those stonegate bulls and they ended up breeding 1 cow.

good thing I had my commercial bulls to actually do something.

talk about throwing money away. screw those guys..

Never had any experience with Stone Gate stuff except a friend that bought one. The bull looked pretty good but his disposition wasn't. A lot of folks in the area use those Bulls, so that one instance probably isn't a complete representation. I have sank a lot of money over the years in these registered Bulls as well as a some cows. Not all of them have worked out. The new Beefmaster bull I got a month ago thinking a different breed may pan out a little better is already gone to hamburger due to injuring his working parts and not even being with any open cows.

I have only been by their operation. They are only 25 miles from me. They have a very good reputation in this area. In fact, this is the first negative I have heard.

Bright Raven":itov0fly said:
Ky hills":itov0fly said:
ddd75":itov0fly said:
i bought 2 of those stonegate bulls and they ended up breeding 1 cow.

good thing I had my commercial bulls to actually do something.

talk about throwing money away. screw those guys..

Never had any experience with Stone Gate stuff except a friend that bought one. The bull looked pretty good but his disposition wasn't. A lot of folks in the area use those Bulls, so that one instance probably isn't a complete representation. I have sank a lot of money over the years in these registered Bulls as well as a some cows. Not all of them have worked out. The new Beefmaster bull I got a month ago thinking a different breed may pan out a little better is already gone to hamburger due to injuring his working parts and not even being with any open cows.

I have only been by their operation. They are only 25 miles from me. They have a very good reputation in this area. In fact, this is the first negative I have heard.

Like I stated, I know of several who use there Bulls, in fact some of our fellow heifer sale consignors use their Bulls and it is promoted from the auction block when those come in the ring. I am sure that those folks would not be repeat customers if they had many problems with the cattle. The instance that I spoke of could have happened from any outfit, not all cattle from a particular farm are going to do everything right. I know mine sure don't. I hear references to other farms as well where folks have said they are all good. I think that is where new or just plain not smart people like me need to be careful when selecting animals. I have learned what to look for disposition wise and have had pretty good success with that as far as Bulls.

Ky hills":3ptfdsaz said:
Bright Raven":3ptfdsaz said:
Ky hills":3ptfdsaz said:

Like I stated, I know of several who use there Bulls, in fact some of our fellow heifer sale consignors use their Bulls and it is promoted from the auction block when those come in the ring. I am sure that those folks would not be repeat customers if they had many problems with the cattle. The instance that I spoke of could have happened from any outfit, not all cattle from a particular farm are going to do everything right. I know mine sure don't. I hear references to other farms as well where folks have said they are all good. I think that is where new or just plain not smart people like me need to be careful when selecting animals. I have learned what to look for disposition wise and have had pretty good success with that as far as Bulls.

I was referring to ddd75's comment that he bought 2 bulls from Stonegate and they only bred one cow. :roll: But, hey, ddd75 seems to have a lot of bad luck. Poor ddd75 doesn't seem to like anyone:
YouTube
https://youtu.be/9cplLe1R1v4

Bright Raven":1ggwnglm said:
I was referring to ddd75's comment that he bought 2 bulls from Stonegate and they only bred one cow. :roll: But, hey, ddd75 seems to have a lot of bad luck. Poor ddd75 doesn't seem to like anyone:
YouTube

Great clip, completely fits. Great movie, too. I was watching that movie the day my son was born, I had about 10 minutes to go and the wife decides it's time to go in. She wouldn't take no for an answer. It's funny, but I don't think I'll ever forget that.

Stone Gate Farms

History
In 1952 we bought three Angus heifers, intending to produce a few 4-H Club steers. Our idea turned out to be such a good one, thanks to the quality of those heifers and the traits of the Angus breed, that we soon decided to take things a step further and the Stone Gate Farms purebred herd was born. In 1957, with numbers increasing, the herd was enrolled in a performance program through the University of Kentucky.

In today's purebred cattle world, performance programs are a given, their sophistication taken for granted. In 1957 they were new, controversial, not necessarily well accepted and relatively primitive. Even so, it didn't take us long to appreciate the value of collecting performance data and using it in the breeding decision. This data proved very valuable to our commercial bull buyers in their effort to identify genetics that would improve their commercial herds. The original focus of producing winning 4-H calves was forgotten in favor of creating and maintaining a strong market for our breeding stock, especially by commercial breeders.

In 1967 Stone Gate Farms became a member of the American Angus Association's Herd Improvement (AHIR) program. In 1974 Charles Cannon was elected to the board of directors of the American Angus Association, then became its president in 1982.

As we look over the last 60 years we have been in business, one aspect of our operation that has stayed constant is the importance of the Angus cow in our herd and as a mainstay in the commercial industry. No beef cow of any breed is as prolific as the Angus cow. Our cows are very feminine of moderate size with good fleshing ability, nice udders, good feet and legs and bred in longevity that is of utmost importance to the commercial industry. Today's herds number: 400 Registered Cows and 200 to 300 Commercial Cows.

The bottom line here is to make money in the cattle business; since this is our only means of making a living, we have been very cost-conscious. Our cows maintain themselves and breed back on grass, along with hay that we have grown on our land. We take great satisfaction in knowing that we could make a profit selling our registered Angus calves through feeder calf sales or by sending them to the feedlot. Operating in this manner gives us firsthand knowledge as to the needs of the commercial cattleman. When you walk through our pastures, it is obvious that we have maintained a disciplined breeding program. Little has changed over the years; we just keep producing more of the same.

Your are welcome to visit us at any time or attend our March Production Sale (1st Monday) which features 60 to 70 bulls and 40 to 60 females, or our October sale (last Monday) featuring registered bulls, commercial cows and commercial bred heifers

I know lots of people who use stonegates cattle. A guy I work with says the females he has purchased from them are some of the best in the field. He has made the comment several times that they have some of the most easy keeping functional cattle that he has purchased.

The bull we had threw great calves. By far the best bull we have had on the farm in 15 years. Problem was like every angus bull we have ever had they get wild around 3-4 years old. I don't care how good any bull is when I'm afraid to be in the field with him he is gone.

Bright Raven":1uemfcyh said:
Supa Dexta":1uemfcyh said:
Until you guys start running your cows thru a scale -regularly- you have no idea what your cows weigh.

I agree. I only weigh my calves. I guess weight based on experience. But it is only a guess. It affects all weight-based treatments. I estimate weight on the high side doing treatment.
I'd be surprised if your fatsos only weighed 1300 on average!

Nesikep":2z8f6khd said:
Bright Raven":2z8f6khd said:
Supa Dexta":2z8f6khd said:
Until you guys start running your cows thru a scale -regularly- you have no idea what your cows weigh.

I agree. I only weigh my calves. I guess weight based on experience. But it is only a guess. It affects all weight-based treatments. I estimate weight on the high side doing treatment.
I'd be surprised if your fatsos only weighed 1300 on average!

I know. I need a scales.

I just wanted to give an update. I ended up buying a couple registered Simmental's today.

Thanks for all the info.

Bright Raven":1gmpzxvr said:
Ky hills":1gmpzxvr said:
Bright Raven":1gmpzxvr said:

YouTube

right right.... raven...

Go to one of there sales and I bet you 95% of the people there are not local. Go to the stockyard and ask them abuot stonegate bulls and see what they say.

lol.. just me.. durp

ddd75":25zjq232 said:
Bright Raven":25zjq232 said:
Ky hills":25zjq232 said:

YouTube

right right.... raven...

Go to one of there sales and I bet you 95% of the people there are not local. Go to the stockyard and ask them abuot stonegate bulls and see what they say.

lol.. just me.. durp

I have read enough of your posts to sprinkle a little salt on them. In the case of Stonegate, their reputation - and it is broad here - is very good. I am not basing that on one incident.

Well I'm horrible at taking pictures but I snapped a couple when I got them home.

3/4 simm sired by cowboy cut
VEGnWbR.jpg

1/2 simm sired by grandmaster
qK42Zpf.jpg

They look great. I see what Ron says about the Cowboy Cuts. Clean fronted, level back, muscled pattern comes down low on rear quarters. Both NICE! Did you buy them both from the same farm private treaty? When will you be breeding them?

Yes they were purchased from the same farm. I plan on trying to try and breed them next week or the week after.

I want to give them time to settle in and get used to me before I start trying to handle them a lot. But so far they are both gentle.

kentuckyguy":1e1h24su said:
Yes they were purchased from the same farm. I plan on trying to try and breed them next week or the week after.

I want to give them time to settle in and get used to me before I start trying to handle them a lot. But so far they are both gentle.

Will. That will make an August calf. It can be tough keeping flies off the calves especially the anus and vulva not to mention the heat. I will start my AI on Thanksgiving.

I may put them with my heifers I'm holding to breed in December.

I don't want August or early September calves the more I think about it. Seems September is as bad as August here anymore.

kentuckyguy":1ilmm7po said:
I know lots of people who use stonegates cattle. A guy I work with says the females he has purchased from them are some of the best in the field. He has made the comment several times that they have some of the most easy keeping functional cattle that he has purchased.

The bull we had threw great calves. By far the best bull we have had on the farm in 15 years. Problem was like every angus bull we have ever had they get wild around 3-4 years old. I don't care how good any bull is when I'm afraid to be in the field with him he is gone.

We have the top bull out of the 2015 Stone Gate sale. He is as docile as any animal I have ever been around. His daughters have been VERY GOOD, all are genetically tested, he has produced over 25 progeny so far with positive results.

*************":1lan8ey8 said:
kentuckyguy":1lan8ey8 said:

We have the top bull out of the 2015 Stone Gate sale. He is as docile as any animal I have ever been around. His daughters have been VERY GOOD, all are genetically tested, he has produced over 25 progeny so far with positive results.
How the heck do you determine that? There's no way his daughters, or their daughters are in production.

ddd75":1xxkjxkl said:
Bright Raven":1xxkjxkl said:
Ky hills":1xxkjxkl said:

YouTube

right right.... raven...

lol.. just me.. durp

We have a Stone Gate cow that is about to turn 16 years old, she just recently gave birth to a SAV Raindance calf via sexed semen and is now settled back to SAV Elation. Several of the heifers that were purchased from Stone Gate in the early 2000's are still producing and healthy. That's a tall order for most people to claim. I can attest to what I said because I feed them every day.

Latest posts