Registered vs Commercial

Help Support CattleToday:

kentuckyguy":fo4f1j2n said:
What other breed would you suggest then?

With our current market here it's hard to move something without a black hide.

I personally really like Hereford cattle but I've put almost 1000 miles on my truck the last month only to be disappointed when I seen them in person. I also don't like that my culls going to the sale barn will most likely get docked very hard.

I have given serious thought about going Simmental. I figure I could buy registered heifers and breed up with the best cows that I currently have.

I can tell you these are only people I ever saw that had overall better Hereford cattle than mine. I bought my last two herd sires from them.
https://prausepolledherefordfarms.com/

True Grit Farms":359eywkk said:
Bright Raven":359eywkk said:
Don't forget something that may be unique to Kentucky. The CAIP program. The criteria provides a strong demand for registered heifers. I wish I had more heifers because I have to tell lots of potential buyers who want registered pedigree, heifers that I have none.

I sell mine bred, they all have a pelvic evaluation, are ultrasounded as bred and exceed the vaccination requirements. As long as that program continues, it is going to underpin registered heifers that meet the CAIP criteria.
That program doesn't sound fiscally sound to me, but it's easy spending someone else's money. Around here a kid can buy 3 commercial heifers or 2 registered heifers bred the same way for the same money. It's a no brainer which way to go unless you know someone who will AI the registered heifers back for you.

No need to debate the program - it has bipartisan support and based on available information, it will be here for a while.

CAIP pays a percentage of the cost of open and bred heifers if they meet the criteria set by the program. The seller has to provide a signed affidavit that the heifer meets the criteria. No one is going to argue with you about spending someone else's money.

We have had this debate a couple times. Regardless, it certainly promotes the sale of higher end, genetically superior heifers. The buyers are looking for registered stock with good pedigrees.

I don't know how someone can call themselves fiscally responsible and bad talk the politicians for doing the same things that they do. I just don't get it, but some folks will do anything for a dollar.

CB those are some great looking Herefords. Only problem I can see with them is they are about 23hrs away from me.

kentuckyguy":1lakb5hh said:
CB those are some great looking Herefords. Only problem I can see with them is they are about 23hrs away from me.

Quality is priceless you can write the trip as well.
Contact Mrs. Herman one of the most knowledgeable "cattlemen " I have known. I sent JSC to them couple years ago, pm him for review.

True Grit Farms":3t6sq57m said:
I don't know how someone can call themselves fiscally responsible and bad talk the politicians for doing the same things that they do. I just don't get it, but some folks will do anything for a dollar.

Vince

You certainly must be a man of uncompromising integrity. You truly set an example that few men can match. How shall I say it? We all stand in absolute AWE of your moral superiority.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow you all the days of your life. There has to be a special place, somewhere, for man of your standing.

Like everyone has mentioned, Angus is on every corner and even some in between.

When you go to the grocery store, you can't tell by looking at the meat what color the animals was that produced it. Everyone is so caught up in the "black" game, and there are some other breeds that aren't black that can out perform 'em.

What are the cows like that you have now? They could be a good base to breed up from using AI or even a really good purebred bull. This will take longer, but it is a lower cost investment to get started.

Along with breeding up your present herd, buy one or two good registered heifers that can add to the herd and you can build from them as well.

Even a really good quality crossbred heifer (registered or not) will still bring good money.

Funny this just comes up now as I'm closing the deal on my first registered female..

I may just slowly work part of the herd into registered, perhaps breeding up on some of the lines I have... Maybe I keep a couple bull calves a year.. Hey, if I can sell just a couple at 3x what a steer is worth it makes a difference.. Markets around here aren't huge so having 100 bulls for sale wouldn't get me anywhere. Most people I talk to like my animals.
Here's my friend with Marko

And what breed is it Nesi? Let me guess, Speckle Park?????? I will be interested in how you go about things, are you going to do an AI course? Maybe learn from videos? I am sure you would pick it up well.

Ken

But would you or will you or others buy one or any of them? My answer is no in 99% of the offerings. Why? Most do not own 2 generations back, all are about the same in a rotation of this great bull and that great bull and pretty much become generic blobs of cattle that are number (EPD) dependent to try to find some that fit. Faults are not eliminated in such herds as the new faults of a new bull do not get identified soon enough so there are old and new combos. If the focus of a herd is an annual search for another, new, exciting AI bull(s) with a great prefix then there is a place to avoid. They have forgotten that a herd is only as good as the easy care function and fertility of the cow herd at home. If Kit P or Tim O or any of the less mainstream and successful marketers have taught anything it is this fact: you do not do like all the big boys if you want to run a business of cattle. You scratch out your spot and hone your skills.

If your cattle are registered and run like commercials, if you do not try to break the bank to buy starter animals, if you do not annually spend beyond needs then you can raise registered cattle for a lot less than the guys who spend so much to sell as competitors to the operations that they want to be like. The deal: are you real, honest with yourself and others and are your cattle worth buying?

This is not the modern mindset when linking to "great" herd prefixes, rattling off AI bull names like an auctioneer's chant, selling one here or there for big money and wanting to play the game is the "in thing" to do. Small herds can have a smaller radius of influence, can easily build a network of repeat buyers, can serve and make friends in the process and it is nothing like the wheel and deal and glitz of what some desire and never reach.

Ebenezer":38g0y6py said:
But would you or will you or others buy one or any of them? My answer is no in 99% of the offerings. Why? Most do not own 2 generations back, all are about the same in a rotation of this great bull and that great bull and pretty much become generic blobs of cattle that are number (EPD) dependent to try to find some that fit. Faults are not eliminated in such herds as the new faults of a new bull do not get identified soon enough so there are old and new combos. If the focus of a herd is an annual search for another, new, exciting AI bull(s) with a great prefix then there is a place to avoid. They have forgotten that a herd is only as good as the easy care function and fertility of the cow herd at home. If Kit P or Tim O or any of the less mainstream and successful marketers have taught anything it is this fact: you do not do like all the big boys if you want to run a business of cattle. You scratch out your spot and hone your skills.

If your cattle are registered and run like commercials, if you do not try to break the bank to buy starter animals, if you do not annually spend beyond needs then you can raise registered cattle for a lot less than the guys who spend so much to sell as competitors to the operations that they want to be like. The deal: are you real, honest with yourself and others and are your cattle worth buying?

This is not the modern mindset when linking to "great" herd prefixes, rattling off AI bull names like an auctioneer's chant, selling one here or there for big money and wanting to play the game is the "in thing" to do. Small herds can have a smaller radius of influence, can easily build a network of repeat buyers, can serve and make friends in the process and it is nothing like the wheel and deal and glitz of what some desire and never reach.

I think the mindset has changed. There are very few breeders who do not go outside their herd on a frequent basis in an effort to bring better traits into their herd. Furthermore, there are buyers who seek cattle from those operations that bring in genetics from the breeders with a prefix.

I like your comment about reaching out and making friends. Kentuckyguy has visited my farm with his father-in-law. His neighbor (ringer) has become a great friend of mine. Ringer already has his eye on a couple of my calves. All of these folks are now in my circle of friends. The family that bought one of my bulls last year has staked a claim on one of my Bull calves with a blaze. TT has his sights on one of my bull calves.

These relationships have nothing to do with "the wheel and deal and glitz of what some desire and never reach". I produce what some people want. The ones that want to go to breeders who have small herds they have bred for several generations- more power to them. I can guarantee you some of those type breeders have crappier cattle than I do. I have seen their bulls and heifers.

It comes down to this, there is more than one way to skin a cat. No matter how you do it, it needs to be done honestly and with integrity.

Enenezer has a very good point, and so does Bright Raven. There is no quote right way I don't think. If I were going into registered stock again it would be cautiously and conservatively. Patience is a virtue that I'm still working on. It takes time and effort to build a reputable name and more time to achieve the prices you think you should have or close to. As far as the high rollers go I wouldn't even entertain the thoughts of achieving their perceived prices and accomplishments. The bar is always moving out of reach, but that can just fuel a desire to continue.
Like Raven said integrity and honesty are the main things. You can make good long term friends in and around the industry. I have many good friends from my Charolais days as well as from Hereford, Angus and commercial cattle ventures.
Recently had a disappointing commercial bred heifer sale, quality was probably my best yet overall, down markets are a sad reality. A couple days later my wife was having a conversation at her work, and found out that someone she works with has been buying some of our heifers for several years and again this year. They were very happy with them. Wife said she almost cried when she heard that encouraging word after such a brutal sale. I told her that is why we do what we do, to supply folks with cattle that we believe will work for us and ultimately for others.

TennesseeTuxedo":psal1jag said:
MrVictorDomino, aka Danny Miller in Knifely, KY.

Send him a PM. GREAT Herefords.

I agree.

Kyhill as long as you go in with your eyes open you will be okay.
I have been doing this for 40+ years with a registered Hereford or Brimmer cross . No matter the breed it's a terminal journey for the breeders you can't fool ma nature or outrun pa time.
Enjoy the trip.
Your already miles ahead you realize this is about quality.

Caustic Burno":3ooat7fa said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3ooat7fa said:
MrVictorDomino, aka Danny Miller in Knifely, KY.

Send him a PM. GREAT Herefords.

I agree.

Kyhill as long as you go in with your eyes open you will be okay.
I have been doing this for 40+ years with a registered Hereford or Brimmer cross . No matter the breed it's a terminal journey for the breeders you can't fool ma nature or outrun pa time.
Enjoy the trip.
CB, can you produce a better heifer than you can buy? I feel like I can for my management and environment. I think a home grown calf picks up a lot off it's mom on how, what and when to graze the available forage. And bought heifers just can't figure it out or adapt. My track record really stinks for picking out registered heifers that work around here.

Latest posts