Reducing Herd

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
Separated 20 open and short bred cows and going to keep the pairs. This will leave me 50 pairs with some calves in the 400 lb range. Will sell Friday.

Hope they do good for you.

We're gonna be doing similar this fall. Going from 80 cows to 40... or maybe 0... in less than a year's time.
Sold off 25 of the Fall-calving group this spring as breds; had held the other 20 or so away from the bull to breed for Spring 2020 calves, as we'd decided to go to all Spring calving.
Will have to do some HARD culling to winnow the remaining cows down to 40 or less, but we'll get it done. Don't think there are any heifers in this spring calf crop that we'll keep.
Looking hard at selling them all... but then, there'd still be all that pasture that'd have to be mowed... so we may keep some for at least another year.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Good luck, hope they bring a good price for you.

What ever they bring it will get them off of the payroll. Good chance I will reduce the herd to zero systematically. Getting to be more than I want to handle. Age being the factor mine and not the cows.

Lucky_P said:

We're gonna be doing similar this fall. Going from 80 cows to 40... or maybe 0... in less than a year's time.
Sold off 25 of the Fall-calving group this spring as breds; had held the other 20 or so away from the bull to breed for Spring 2020 calves, as we'd decided to go to all Spring calving.
Will have to do some HARD culling to winnow the remaining cows down to 40 or less, but we'll get it done. Don't think there are any heifers in this spring calf crop that we'll keep.
Looking hard at selling them all... but then, there'd still be all that pasture that'd have to be mowed... so we may keep some for at least another year.
Why mow it let it grow, It is not a lawn.

Hope they sell well for you. We are going to start selling some old cows we recently weaned their calves. Time to sell them.

Hurley
Without the cows, it'd be 15 ft tall ragweed in the first growing season and a young forest of boxelder, honeylocust and sycamore in no time.
Once a year bushhogging is a necessity, even with the cows rotating through multiple passes furi g the grazing season.

Picked up the check today. Had 19 instead of 20 one escaped the pen and got out with the rest of the cows. After commission and all deducts we got 15627.77 net. This is $822.51 average.There were five in the bunch that averaged $681 and 14 that averaged $927 these averages were before the deducts. Good chance I got all the market would allow. I got caught keeping some cows last year and the grass had dried up and they went down hill pretty fast. Hardly any rain in the last three weeks and the grass is deteriorating pretty fast.

hurleyjd said:
Lucky_P said:

One and 1/2 growing seasons here, while I was busy having house built, getting the lawn fenced, and doing road work..to he// with all that mowing:

Very same area:

The big vegetation clump to the left of the tractor is what was left of one of the burn piles I hadn't gotten around to cleaning up and reburning.

greybeard said:
hurleyjd said:
Lucky_P said:

One and 1/2 growing seasons here, while I was busy having house built, getting the lawn fenced, and doing road work..to he// with all that mowing:

Very same area:

The big vegetation clump to the left of the tractor is what was left of one of the burn piles I hadn't gotten around to cleaning up and reburning.

With all that extra trash to mow, that the cows obviously don't eat, wouldn't it make sense to do a couple applications of 24D? Knock it back and let the grass grow?

Latest posts