Redneck characteristics

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Graduated HS in the 70's . We had an unexpected streaker. Was a fad then. HS graduation is probably the only high point for some. Can't afford tickets to an NFL game, were afraid little Bubba would never make it through the whole of school so why not think that he just crossed the finish line at the dirt track. Anyhow, 3rd grade was my favorite grade of all schooling. I call it the best 4 years of my life. :lol:

Guess I'm missing you're point. I responded to your personal implication that I make the judgements about time.
The people that made the judgment about time was not the administration. It was those who made 'complaints of graduation being too long from families in attendance'.
The admin just went along to placate 'em before they got their feelings hurt. One last 'hurrah' at exerting control over people it will no longer have control of after that moment.

So, the ceremony for another generation moving forward is enhanced by a drunken sounding yell?
It wouldn't be my place to say how it might be enhanced.
I do understand tho, there is a demographic that doesn't want 'them' or 'their kind' acting any different than any one of us might act. I don't agree with that demographic, but I do understand it exists and more often than not, who it is.

herofan":4uxgbooz said:
Rednecks and hillbillies were mentioned in another thread, and it caused me to wonder about the real-life difference in characteristics of a redneck and just a country person.

The thing that immediately crosses my mind where I'm from is our high school graduation. For many years, our graduations have been a very quiet, recpectful ceremony when the names are called for diplomas. The principal explains how it shouldn't be a popularity contest. Some people have 20 family members there, and some have none.

I'd say 98 percent respect the request, and it's dead silent as the graduates walk across to get diplomas. At some point, however, as a student's name is called, two or three adults will yell out (probably parents and kin) as if their favorite wrestler just landed the winning blow. That is definitely a redneck.

It's amazing how low the brain cells must be to be the first one to yell and think it's something special after 50 students have walked across in silence. That's a redneck through and through

I'll just say we define the term very differently, and leave it at that.

hurleyjd":31yfydbx said:
Any one know where the term Redneck originated before Jeff Foxworthy.

Saw it on a documentary a few years ago about the coal mines , before that It was said that the term was used to rally the farmers to stand up and fight the rich folks. Ive never been offended when I've been called one.

hurleyjd":2ir77ebe said:

Not exactly but the theory I heard back in the 60's was they did not have long hair and their necks got sunburned.

herofan":1us2rtoo said:
Rednecks and hillbillies were mentioned in another thread, and it caused me to wonder about the real-life difference in characteristics of a redneck and just a country person.

The thing that immediately crosses my mind where I'm from is our high school graduation. For many years, our graduations have been a very quiet, recpectful ceremony when the names are called for diplomas. The principal explains how it shouldn't be a popularity contest. Some people have 20 family members there, and some have none.

I'd say 98 percent respect the request, and it's dead silent as the graduates walk across to get diplomas. At some point, however, as a student's name is called, two or three adults will yell out (probably parents and kin) as if their favorite wrestler just landed the winning blow. That is definitely a redneck.

It's amazing how low the brain cells must be to be the first one to yell and think it's something special after 50 students have walked across in silence. That's a redneck through and through.

You could always suggest the diplomas be mailed. That would be far more quiet.

1982vett":27ygv8hp said:
hurleyjd":27ygv8hp said:
https://daily.jstor.org/redneck-a-brief-history/

Interesting that they mention Willie. He was nominated for entertainer of the year and they laughed him out of Nashville. There was a campaign to bust albums in half and send them back to those laughing on television. It did get their attention. The Outlaws were born.

Some of you may call that redneck but I don't think Willie or Waylon have had their necks sunburned for decades. RIP Waylon

I thought a redneck was an ole boy that worked hard and like to party down on the weekends. He might have a little cash or might be broke, maybe even write you a hot check or borrow a few bucks he shouldn't had but would take care of it on payday. Just good folks that like to work and have fun, not part of the rat race. I would imagine they'd hollar at a graduation or anywhere else for that matter. I think I know a few. Nothing wrong with being a redneck.

Around here a redkneck is kind of a negative deal. Its some one who kind of tries too hard to be country, like a drug store cowboy. It kind of has a trashy connotation with it.

A hillbilly is just kind of standoffish, klanish, can get a little wild, no doubt about being country.

... but Ive noticed a lot of people have very different definitions of each. To a lot of people if you are from the country and work outdoors you are redkneck... trashy or not.

herofan":2l2pk46o said:

It's amazing how low the brain cells must be to be the first one to yell and think it's something special after 50 students have walked across in silence. That's a redneck through and through.

My mother let out a little yell at my graduation. So you called Mom a stupid redneck. Just fine, but I'll tell you bought Mom. She lives across the pasture a few hundred yards from here. Has a wall of diploma's including a master's in education. She worked her entire life as a teacher, principal and administrator.
Following in the footsteps of her mom.
She and the king are somewhere in the mountains in Colorado right now at a square dancing convention of all things.
She would tell you should take a lesson on what happens to people who think they have the right to judge others.
I personally think you might be full of crap. You think hollering at a public gathering gives someone the privilege of being called redneck........
You gotta do something like gut a deer in the bathtub.. :cowboy: that's through and through..

Looong story.

M-5":3gk2ys9p said:
True Grit Farms":3gk2ys9p said:
Ky hills":3gk2ys9p said:
Don't know how the graduation ceremonies are now but when I graduated in 93, it was quiet and respectful and only 2 family members or guests per graduate could come due to seating space.
I will say there are plenty rednecks around. Trash is thrown all along the sides of the roads. Unfortunately it isn't unusual to see fighting or loud verbal altercations around town.
Well if you have to throw trash along the road to be a redneck I guess I ain't one.
I throw it out , keeps people employed. Speaking of graduations here there is another word for the people the yell at graduation. I can't say it here but everyone knows it.

I reckon the words mean different things to different folks in each location. The term redneck around here is used by some to self describe and that's alright as long as it's said in first person, or by someone close to an individual that is on the same level so to speak. It can be and is often used as a derogatory term by some to differentiate between social groups. When I made the statement about throwing trash out along the roadsides or anywhere besides proper disposal containers. I would not have made that statement but it was fresh on my mind as earlier in the day we had stopped at a store on our way to get a beef, and when getting out of the truck I noticed papers, wrappers, cups strown all about in front of the store.
The dynamic in this area has always been one of division in a sense, we are close to a bigger city and thus have grown in population so there is the urban rural divide, then there are divisions within each of those populations. I think to some point it is getting better within the rural areas as used to be some folks would think they were more high society than those folks down the road or on the other side of the county. Like some sort of social hierarchy, I have heard some of the older folks make statements like we don't associate with them they are beneath us. I cringe when I hear those kinds of statements because often times they were made against respectful hard working people who were just perceived to not be as affluent around town.
Over the last few generations a "new" dynamic has came to be and with that some folks seem to be involved in unproductive behaviors and not respectful of others property and so on. Seems to be that in those situations the terms like redneck are used to excuse the behavior.

greybeard":ue9h9x5n said:
The people that made the judgment about time was not the administration. It was those who made 'complaints of graduation being too long from families in attendance'.
The admin just went along to placate 'em before they got their feelings hurt. One last 'hurrah' at exerting control over people it will no longer have control of after that moment.

Once again, it isn't exclusively about time. It's also about respect and etiquette. Consideration for each graduate. Clearly there was a enough complaints that administration felt compelled to act. This is the third post of yours where you mention "feelings". Perhaps you are fixated on hurt feelings? Is it how you see things in your world? Lots of hurt feelings?
Like most things in life, it boils down to a simple decision. Is the juice worth the squeeze? The school principal or admin made a request. It's just that. A request. No law or demand. A simple request, out of respect for everyone involved. As long as a person can live with the knowledge knowing the 'juice' they enjoyed in that moment shouting, cheering and disrupting, came at the expense of the following graduates(and their family)moment to be recognized (the squeeze).
It's not a hard concept to grasp. A few moments of self control and discipline during a highly emotionally charged day, is maybe too much to ask of some folks. Many folks can't consider anyone but themselves.

bball":2vc9sxje said:
greybeard":2vc9sxje said:

Once again, it isn't exclusively about time. It's also about respect and etiquette. Consideration for each graduate. Clearly there was a enough complaints that administration felt compelled to act. This is the third post of yours where you mention "feelings". Perhaps you are fixated on hurt feelings? Is it how you see things in your world? Lots of hurt feelings?
Like most things in life, it boils down to a simple decision. Is the juice worth the squeeze? The school principal or admin made a request. It's just that. A request. No law or demand. A simple request, out of respect for everyone involved. As long as a person can live with the knowledge knowing the 'juice' they enjoyed in that moment shouting, cheering and disrupting, came at the expense of the following graduates(and their family)moment to be recognized (the squeeze).
It's not a hard concept to grasp. A few moments of self control and discipline during a highly emotionally charged day, is maybe too much to ask of some folks. Many folks can't consider anyone but themselves.

The juice..complaining to admin. about some imaginary expense to your experience. and getting your way.

the squeeze... forcing others who haven't complained to sit like mice during their experience. Because you think it should be that way.

Talk about not considering others.

Most of the ones hollering at the graduation probably never graduated themselves and they are just proud someone in the family did. To some people graduating high school is a pretty big deal.

Dogs and Cows":2p8y9xdm said:
herofan":2p8y9xdm said:

To me this is a really "strange" way to label someone a redneck...yelling at a graduation??? Really?? When my kids graduated half of the parents/families were shouting out...black, white, hispanic, even asian...I sure as be nice didn't look around thinking..."what a bunch of rednecks". I'm with greybeard on this one...sure didn't bother me...I enjoyed every minute of these kids walking across the stage. Heck, I even stood, clapped, and maybe yelled a few things... :oops:

But I digress, too easy to label people anymore...everyone wants a label. And it appears there are plenty willing to oblige. If that was so irritating to you, maybe spend some time with the cattle and put down the coffee and relax.

Tim

are you suggesting he needs some free time to center his CHI

callmefence":2zanxzbj said:
The juice..complaining to admin. about some imaginary expense to your experience. and getting your way.

the squeeze... forcing others who haven't complained to sit like mice during their experience. Because you think it should be that way.

Its all about perspective isnt it? Thats one of my favorite aspects of CT, getting different perspectives.
Now, in response to your post. Im sure it wasnt an imaginary expense to any parent who was trying to record or listen for their childs name called at graduation, but that name was drowned out by the noise and behaviors of those ththaththat preceded them on the stage. Im sure that parent or graduate may have felt robbed of their moment. Its always a decision and there are always consequences. Some consider the greater good of others and some simply consider what they want.
Im not unsympathetic. I have graduated 5 of mine at the local school. Some of the 5 have given speeches as valedictorian, salutatorian and class presidents. Believe me, theres a strong desire to applaud when they head for the microphone or to get their diploma, but that isnt the time or place. Theres a time, once the ceremony is complete, when everyone can have their special moment. Just my perspective.

Edit to add: no one is being forced. Admin makes a request. Each man or woman has to make decision to oblige or not.
Would you go into a library and raise a ruckus? Probably not. Why because the expectation is to be considerate of others. School admin in some locations request the same consideration at graduations for the same reasons. No one is forced to oblige. Merely pointing out the potential effects of ones decisions on others. No one is robbing you of your opportunity to cheer. Theres a place in the ceremony specifically for that.

bball":1tqmvq9f said:
callmefence":1tqmvq9f said:

Its all about perspective isnt it? Thats one of my favorite aspects of CT, getting different perspectives.
Now, in response to your post. Im sure it wasnt an imaginary expense to any parent who was trying to record or listen for their childs name called at graduation, but that name was drowned out by the noise and behaviors of those ththaththat preceded them on the stage. Im sure that parent or graduate may have felt robbed of their moment. Its always a decision and there are always consequences. Some consider the greater good of others and some simply consider what they want.
Im not unsympathetic. I have graduated 5 of mine at the local school. Some of the 5 have given speeches as valedictorian, salutatorian and class presidents. Believe me, theres a strong desire to applaud when they head for the microphone or to get their diploma, but that isnt the time or place. Theres a time, once the ceremony is complete, when everyone can have their special moment. Just my perspective.

Edit to add: no one is being forced. Admin makes a request. Each man or woman has to make decision to oblige or not.
Would you go into a library and raise a ruckus? Probably not. Why because the expectation is to be considerate of others. School admin in some locations request the same consideration at graduations for the same reasons. No one is forced to oblige. Merely pointing out the potential effects of ones decisions on others. No one is robbing you of your opportunity to cheer. Theres a place in the ceremony specifically for that.

I really could care less Ball. I will say I was raised as mentioned earlier by a mother and grandmother who where educator's and in adminstration. Both later in their careers would tell you that most educator's are stuck up , aloof stuffed shirt's who believe themselves to be on a higher hill than others. Qualified to judge if you will. My eyes have seen it and y'all just ain't reached that moment of clarity yet........ ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts