Redneck characteristics

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only get irritated with the cheering when it goes on long enough that the next kid's name can't be heard. But I never really understood why people go crazy cheering when their child does something they are expected to do. I guess if it makes junior feel a bit more special that day to have people cheer for him for doing something 3.6 million other kids do each year that's all that really matters.

ChrisB":1yg3q3v2 said:
I only get irritated with the cheering when it goes on long enough that the next kid's name can't be heard. But I never really understood why people go crazy cheering when their child does something they are expected to do. I guess if it makes junior feel a bit more special that day to have people cheer for him for doing something 3.6 million other kids do each year that's all that really matters.

He// I cheered the first time he shyt in the crapper

I understand your dislike of the yelling when people had been asked not to, and agree that it was rude and inconsiderate. However, I disagree with you labeling them rednecks.

callmefence":2mucfo76 said:
ChrisB":2mucfo76 said:

I feel the same way when my 81 year old dad makes it that far.

callmefence":225bkfey said:
ChrisB":225bkfey said:

Nothing in life is more underrated than a good crap, in the right place. Indeed, something to cheer about.

I don't care either way but I know it got out of hand and most places ask to refrain from cheering because of time and not being able to hear the next name. Most of the larger schools enforce it. We had people show up with horns and all kinds of noise makers one year. They check for that stuff now and its definitely a no-go.

callmefence":31k7ak66 said:
bball":31k7ak66 said:
greybeard":31k7ak66 said:
The people that made the judgment about time was not the administration. It was those who made 'complaints of graduation being too long from families in attendance'.
The admin just went along to placate 'em before they got their feelings hurt. One last 'hurrah' at exerting control over people it will no longer have control of after that moment.

Once again, it isn't exclusively about time. It's also about respect and etiquette. Consideration for each graduate. Clearly there was a enough complaints that administration felt compelled to act. This is the third post of yours where you mention "feelings". Perhaps you are fixated on hurt feelings? Is it how you see things in your world? Lots of hurt feelings?
Like most things in life, it boils down to a simple decision. Is the juice worth the squeeze? The school principal or admin made a request. It's just that. A request. No law or demand. A simple request, out of respect for everyone involved. As long as a person can live with the knowledge knowing the 'juice' they enjoyed in that moment shouting, cheering and disrupting, came at the expense of the following graduates(and their family)moment to be recognized (the squeeze).
It's not a hard concept to grasp. A few moments of self control and discipline during a highly emotionally charged day, is maybe too much to ask of some folks. Many folks can't consider anyone but themselves.

The juice..complaining to admin. about some imaginary expense to your experience. and getting your way.

the squeeze... forcing others who haven't complained to sit like mice during their experience. Because you think it should be that way.

Talk about not considering others.

DING DING DING!! Winner.

To whoever said this:
Many folks can't consider anyone but themselves
This:
Is that not the very thing you and a few others are doing as well?
Of course it is.
Your wants
Your needs
Your preferences
Your control
and of course and always, to the exclusion of anyone else's.

greybeard":1lnixkma said:
callmefence":1lnixkma said:
bball":1lnixkma said:
Once again, it isn't exclusively about time. It's also about respect and etiquette. Consideration for each graduate. Clearly there was a enough complaints that administration felt compelled to act. This is the third post of yours where you mention "feelings". Perhaps you are fixated on hurt feelings? Is it how you see things in your world? Lots of hurt feelings?
Like most things in life, it boils down to a simple decision. Is the juice worth the squeeze? The school principal or admin made a request. It's just that. A request. No law or demand. A simple request, out of respect for everyone involved. As long as a person can live with the knowledge knowing the 'juice' they enjoyed in that moment shouting, cheering and disrupting, came at the expense of the following graduates(and their family)moment to be recognized (the squeeze).
It's not a hard concept to grasp. A few moments of self control and discipline during a highly emotionally charged day, is maybe too much to ask of some folks. Many folks can't consider anyone but themselves.

The juice..complaining to admin. about some imaginary expense to your experience. and getting your way.

the squeeze... forcing others who haven't complained to sit like mice during their experience. Because you think it should be that way.

Talk about not considering others.

DING DING DING!! Winner.

To whoever said this:
Many folks can't consider anyone but themselves
This:
Is that not the very thing you and a few others are doing as well?
Of course it is.
Your wants
Your needs
Your preferences
Your control
and of course and always, to the exclusion of anyone else's.

You make an awful lot of false assumptions, along with your rabbit trails.
I have never complained to school admin about anything. I simply understand the rationale behind what they ask of people attending these ceremonies as guests. If the expectation and request, as expressed by the host, is to hold applause until the completion of the ceremony, and you know you dont have the self control to honor that request, why attend? Just trying to understand your position. Its your right? Your duty? Especially when there is a time specifically designated for all the applause a crowd can muster.

Youre literally the one advocating disrespecting and disregarding the requests made by a hosting organization. School board is elected by THE PEOPLE. School board appoints administration. Administration attempts to meet the needs of the students and families it serves. If one doesnt appreciate the requests made by administration regarding behavior at a graduation, feel free to attend a school board meeting and let the board know. If the admin is requesting these procedures for graduation, i trust it is the wishes and in the best interest of the majority of the people they serve.

Youre literally the one advocating disrespecting and disregarding the requests made by a hosting organization.
By your own words, this did not originate from the hosting organization, but emanated instead, from complainants. (the board members are simply the mouthpiece of the wah wah wah PC crybabies)

If you cannot endure a few minutes of public reaction, why attend?

(I attend because I enjoy it, and am able to put away my personal and selfish little needs for a few hours.)

The protocol is in place, established by the admin, who answers to the board, who answers to THE PEOPLE. Its very simple. Protocol is in place, but you think it shouldnt apply to you and yours because youre special or whatever reasoning you use to justify your position. So instead of abiding by the protocol requested by admin, and indirectly the people it serves, or taking action by going to the school board and requesting the protocol be changed to accommodate your wishes, you prefer to attack the people who simply abide by the established protocol and expect them to suffer your whims. Protocol is established. Dont like it? Take action to change it. :bang:

Herofan, my sincerest apologies. I had no intention of derailing your thread.

Edit to add, i have a picture similiar to that too, except mines in color.

herofan":g3yld4l8 said:
Rednecks and hillbillies were mentioned in another thread, and it caused me to wonder about the real-life difference in characteristics of a redneck and just a country person.

The thing that immediately crosses my mind where I'm from is our high school graduation. For many years, our graduations have been a very quiet, recpectful ceremony when the names are called for diplomas. The principal explains how it shouldn't be a popularity contest. Some people have 20 family members there, and some have none.

I'd say 98 percent respect the request, and it's dead silent as the graduates walk across to get diplomas. At some point, however, as a student's name is called, two or three adults will yell out (probably parents and kin) as if their favorite wrestler just landed the winning blow. That is definitely a redneck.

It's amazing how low the brain cells must be to be the first one to yell and think it's something special after 50 students have walked across in silence. That's a redneck through and through.

Might be the 1st HS graduate in that family in 8 generations. :nod:

The dictionary definition for "redneck:

a working-class white person, especially a politically reactionary one from a rural area.

Usage:
"rednecks in the high, cheap seats stomped their feet and hooted"

Henofan's usage is consistent with the example above. The implication is that rednecks are loud rural people of a working-class. It would seem to encompass a large sector. In Kentucky, hillbillies and rednecks are synonymous.

Here is a funny description of a hillbilly:

A 1900 New York Journal article containing the definition: "a Hill-Billie is a free and untrammeled white citizen of Tennessee, who lives in the hills, has no means to speak of, dresses as he can, talks as he pleases, drinks whiskey when he gets it, and fires off his revolver as the fancy takes him".

Lol

Rafter S":1ho1ap67 said:
I understand your dislike of the yelling when people had been asked not to, and agree that it was rude and inconsiderate. However, I disagree with you labeling them rednecks.

I suppose there was a little tongue-in-cheek involved when I wrote this. I didn't realize so many would be offended. It's like sharing a bad story about sitting across the table from a nose-picker, and then everyone tries to convince you how lovely that is. I don't have a God-approved definition of redneck, but it sounds just like a joke Jeff Foxworthy might tell: "If you yelled like you were at a strip-club when your son received his high school diploma, you might be a redneck."

It's not necessarily the yelling itself that bothers me, and I'm not saying that yelling at a graduation is an automatic redneck characteristic, but it's the circumstance under which it is done. When a quiet ceremony is the kind that is customary at a particular school, and the audience is asked to be respectful of that, and 148 out of 150 families seem happy to accommodate, how does one decide it is a breath of fresh air to act like someone just finished singing "Whiskey River" when a diploma is given out?

We have used words and phrases like "pride" and "celebration of another generation moving forward." Those sound great, but I don't know how that connects to sounding like you're at a wrestling match when your child gets their diploma. And let me be clear, it is that. I can't speak for what others have witnessed; I am only describing my experience. Maybe some people are picturing a nice round of applause and someone saying "I love you" in a proud voice, but that's not it. I have sat through 50 kids walking across in silence, and then it suddenly sounds like a bar fight has broken out and 5 people are agging them on. I don't understand the connection.

Regardless of how different we all are and how we like to be individuals, I didn't assume it was unheard of to expect some respect in some situations even if it meant everybody was acting the same for a brief period of time. If someone asked for a moment of silence for someone who has died, I think most would find it disrespectful and out of order if someone started hollering or even talked in a normal voice.

As for some who mentioned that it was special and a proud moment for some because they might be the first to have graduated from their family, I totally understand that too. I was the first to graduate from college in my family, but I would have been highly embarrassed if someone had started screaming like they were drunk when I got my diploma.

I talked with a mother several years ago who was just glowing that her son was the first from their family to graduate from high school. She seemed in awe of the mostly silent ceremony and proud that her son was walking across with everyone else in the same manner. I understand that more than the other. How does that conversation among parents go before the ceremony. "I'm so proud that my daughter is graduating from high school. I want it to seem special. Hey, I know what to do; let's all yell like we're at a drunk fest when she gets her diploma. That will make it so special."

Lastly, I have to share this story. In my opinion, this is redneck too. A guy in his 40s in my neck of the woods was arrested for DUI and driving without a license. It was on the local news and his mug shot was plastered on the tv screen. For whatever reason, the broadcast mispronounced his last name and gave the wrong county of residence in the report. Personally, had it been my son, I would have been so ashamed of what he did that I would have considered that a plus; maybe nobody will know it's him. His mother, however, called the station and gave them a chewing out. With that, the story had to be rebroadcast with corrections. It amazes me sometimes what people take pride in. It was as if she was saying, "how dare you get the residence and last name of my drunken, jail-bound son wrong."

herofan":1ndeyftz said:
I suppose there was a little tongue-in-cheek involved when I wrote this. I didn't realize so many would be offended. It's like sharing a bad story about sitting across the table from a nose-picker, and then everyone tries to convince you how lovely that is. I don't have a God-approved definition of redneck, but it sounds just like a joke Jeff Foxworthy might tell: "If you yelled like you were at a strip-club when your son received his high school diploma, you might be a redneck."

It's not necessarily the yelling itself that bothers me, and I'm not saying that yelling at a graduation is an automatic redneck characteristic, but it's the circumstance under which it is done. When a quiet ceremony is the kind that is customary at a particular school, and the audience is asked to be respectful of that, and 148 out of 150 families seem happy to accommodate, how does one decide it is a breath of fresh air to act like someone just finished singing "Whiskey River" when a diploma is given out?

We have used words and phrases like "pride" and "celebration of another generation moving forward." Those sound great, but I don't know how that connects to sounding like you're at a wrestling match when your child gets their diploma. And let me be clear, it is that. I can't speak for what others have witnessed; I am only describing my experience. Maybe some people are picturing a nice round of applause and someone saying "I love you" in a proud voice, but that's not it. I have sat through 50 kids walking across in silence, and then it suddenly sounds like a bar fight has broken out and 5 people are agging them on. I don't understand the connection.

Regardless of how different we all are and how we like to be individuals, I didn't assume it was unheard of to expect some respect in some situations even if it meant everybody was acting the same for a brief period of time. If someone asked for a moment of silence for someone who has died, I think most would find it disrespectful and out of order if someone started hollering or even talked in a normal voice.

As for some who mentioned that it was special and a proud moment for some because they might be the first to have graduated from their family, I totally understand that too. I was the first to graduate from college in my family, but I would have been highly embarrassed if someone had started screaming like they were drunk when I got my diploma.

I talked with a mother several years ago who was just glowing that her son was the first from their family to graduate from high school. She seemed in awe of the mostly silent ceremony and proud that her son was walking across with everyone else in the same manner. I understand that more than the other. How does that conversation among parents go before the ceremony. "I'm so proud that my daughter is graduating from high school. I want it to seem special. Hey, I know what to do; let's all yell like we're at a drunk fest when she gets her diploma. That will make it so special."

Lastly, I have to share this story. In my opinion, this is redneck too. A guy in his 40s in my neck of the woods was arrested for DUI and driving without a license. It was on the local news and his mug shot was plastered on the tv screen. For whatever reason, the broadcast mispronounced his last name and gave the wrong county of residence in the report. Personally, had it been my son, I would have been so ashamed of what he did that I would have considered that a plus; maybe nobody will know it's him. His mother, however, called the station and gave them a chewing out. With that, the story had to be rebroadcast with corrections. It amazes me sometimes what people take pride in. It was as if she was saying, "how dare you get the residence and last name of my drunken, jail-bound son wrong."

That just might be the most entertaining and clever post these pages have seen in a coon's age. Lol

That last story does not surprise me. Kentucky is a special place. There are some of the most sophisticated people you will meet anywhere in the world. The folks that inhabit the inner Bluegrass High Class are almost aristocracy. On the other side of the scale - well, you captured it in that last paragraph.

herofan":10iscf56 said:
Rafter S":10iscf56 said:

I bet I make more money than you do.... :D

You gotta do something like gut a deer in the bathtub.. :cowboy: that's through and through..

Rednecks around here use the Walmart parking lot..;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts