Red Water Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Bullbuyer

Reaction score
I received my new copy of Jeffer's Catalog yesterday and read through it much like a kid with a Christmas catalog. I was checking prices on Alpha-7, which we have used with great success. I noticed there is a vaccine which includes "Red Water" vaccine. The notation in the catalog says this is mostly in the Pacific NW. Could someone tell me what this is ? Is it anything we ought to be looking out for here in the south ?

It's a clostridial...included in the 8 way. Basically a bacterial infection that involves hemorrhaging and loss of blood through urine (hence the name red-water). My book says it's most common in cattle over 1 year of age, and the average duration of the disease is 36 hours with a mortality of 95% in untreated animals. Mostly a problem where you have stagnant ponds/water, so I've been told. My vet told me I probably didn't need to vaccinate for it (my herd has access to running water), but I'd rather be safe than sorry, especially since 1) the neighbor has had trouble with it, and 2) those clostridial vaccinations are so CHEAP!

In South Africa red water is the major reason for cattle fatalities. It is a regional disease and is found more often in the hot subtropics. Red water is a tick born disease and is most prevalent just after the first summer rain...ticks need moisture to hatch... You get two strains here the one being african red water and the other asian red water. The symptoms are basically the same, ie high fever, the animal is listless, aenemic(sp), quite often the rumen will be paralized and in in advanced cases the urine will be red because the dead red blood cells will be passed in the urine. When an animal reached this stage you have very little hope of saving it.

Both strains are carried by the blue tick, but the catch is that not all blue ticks are carriers.

As far as vaccinating goes...we get a live vaccine that was developed here and you vaccinate usually at weaning, however the animal needs to be continually exposed to the infected ticks to keep the immunity especially against the Asian strain.

As far as treatment goes, we have good results with Berenil and also Imisol. Not sure what the active ingredients are,but if someone is interested I will look it up on the bottle.

sorry for the arther lengthy lecture, hope it was at least informative

Latest posts