Red meat study..

Help Support CattleToday:

So how did you shed your political extremism? I get upset every time I hear something stupid coming from Washington which is almost every day.
I learned to avoid a conclusion by understanding that I am not required to have a conclusion. I can wait until I know more, and even then I can form a weak opinion that is open to better information.

When a person jumps to a conclusion, a process that often takes as little as twenty seconds, they become invested. Once invested it is difficult to hear better or more complete information, especially when the information contradicts the established conclusion. Once I understood this I found that I was defending some very ill (or NOT) thought out positions.

The breaking point for me was when I heard John McCain being made the butt of people's disrespect. It caused me to rethink what I expected from leadership. If we can't be respectful of patriots I'll choose to step away. I'm not a fair weather friend to our military and those that serve.

As for stupid stuff out of Washington... it doesn't matter who's in office. I can pick them ALL apart. That's something else I learned. I was failing in my responsibility to hold my own party to higher standards by being distracted, blaming the party I have absolutely no control over. That... doesn't make sense. A hard but valuable lesson.

Maybe people might respond better if the food was rated in time added to or taken from our life... not calories. Example:
Snickers = minus 3 hrs
Cake = minus 6 hrs
Hamburger = minus 8hrs
Bacon = minus 24hrs
Fruit = plus 7 hrs
Salad = plus 10hrs
Kale = plus 24 hrs
I have never eaten kale and really not into health food....but exactly how much bacon is bad for you ?
I need quantity. Does 1/2 lb a day seem like too much ?
I hate when someone says "it's bad for you "

Last edited:
I looked at the actual study. Explained this way I don't have a problem with it, but I'm a retired cardiac nurse. Food to the right is good and range of how good. Food to the left is bad and how bad. The stuff in the middle is OK. The colors are based on the main nutrients- Vitamins, minerals, fiber and protein, nutrient ratios, amount of fake and processed ingredients. Well, duh, deserts, salty snacks, cured meats, bread and animal fats are bad but who lives on potato chips and bacon sandwiches.? Occasional BLTs aren't going to kill us. To see it go here and click access article. https://sites.tufts.edu/foodcompass/View attachment 23022
Pretty general. Cold cereal is not a wonder food. Surely cooked oatmeal (unadulterated grain) is not worse than highly processed cold cereal. The list is anti sweets, anti fats, pro vegetarian, pro fruit juice (I think that is ultra processed in a lot of cases), takes no stand on diet drinks which can't be that good and what in the world is a "savoury snack" to make it bad enough to wipe out the world population? I don't buy it.

Cold cereal scored higher because of the milk on it. Cooked cereal, (oatmeal) is well into the OK things.

Look at the graph. It is not anti meat. Red meat is well into the OK area. Meat fat, such as cooking with bacon grease which is a cured meat, did not score high.

Maybe people might respond better if the food was rated in time added to or taken from our life... not calories. Example:
Snickers = minus 3 hrs
Cake = minus 6 hrs
Hamburger = minus 8hrs
Bacon = minus 24hrs
Fruit = plus 7 hrs
Salad = plus 10hrs
Kale = plus 24 hrs

Misleading...
So you can eat all the snickers, cake, burgers and bacon you want as long as you balance it with all that nasty tasting crap too.

But, what if it's a carrot cake, a sugar free snickers, a burger piled high with leafy veggies, and the bacon comes on a BLT?

(y)

I just looked at the graph. In the United States of America we are free to eat what ever we want, that God.

I will add that back when I was consuming a gallon a day of 5% butterfat Jersey milk from my cow, drank the milk, made into cheese, ice cream, butter and yogurt my cholesterols went into the danger zone. Got off the teat they went back to normal. Its not the thing, its the amount.

I learned to avoid a conclusion by understanding that I am not required to have a conclusion. I can wait until I know more, and even then I can form a weak opinion that is open to better information.

When a person jumps to a conclusion, a process that often takes as little as twenty seconds, they become invested. Once invested it is difficult to hear better or more complete information, especially when the information contradicts the established conclusion. Once I understood this I found that I was defending some very ill (or NOT) thought out positions.

The breaking point for me was when I heard John McCain being made the butt of people's disrespect. It caused me to rethink what I expected from leadership. If we can't be respectful of patriots I'll choose to step away. I'm not a fair weather friend to our military and those that serve.

As for stupid stuff out of Washington... it doesn't matter who's in office. I can pick them ALL apart. That's something else I learned. I was failing in my responsibility to hold my own party to higher standards by being distracted, blaming the party I have absolutely no control over. That... doesn't make sense. A hard but valuable lesson.
👏👏👏👏👏

Snickers = minus 3 hrs
Cake = minus 6 hrs
Hamburger = minus 8hrs
Bacon = minus 24hrs
Fruit = plus 7 hrs
Salad = plus 10hrs
Kale = plus 24 hrs
I have never eaten kale and really not into health food....but exactly how much bacon is bad for you ?

That part about the bacon and hamburgers can't be right. If it was I'd have been dead years ago.

700a2fe799cadddb.jpg

Snickers = minus 3 hrs
Cake = minus 6 hrs
Hamburger = minus 8hrs
Bacon = minus 24hrs
Fruit = plus 7 hrs
Salad = plus 10hrs
Kale = plus 24 hrs
Adding or subtracting to what baseline life expectancy? 100? What I've found effective is how far would I have to intentionally walk (or otherwise exercise) to burn off the calories in what I just ate. I'm getting lazy in my older age. The calories aren't worth the extra effort!

Latest posts