Recommendations for an Angus AI bull

Help Support CattleToday:

PCC

Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking for recommendations on an Angus bull to use for a small commercial herd of heifers. There is a possibility that suitable resulting heifers would be retained. Thank you in advance for your help :)

I have heard good things about Bronc... We aren't into AI though so I don't have a clue...

Oooh I saw some Prophet calves and a heifer wouldn't have any issues spitting them out

Who is going to A.I. for you? If you are only going to breed a few cows you may want to find out which company has a sales rep in your area. He or she may have bulls in his tank he/she can recommend. If you are only going to breed a few you don't want to go to the expense of getting a tank or paying shipping on semen. The catalogs are online now. You can look at Genex beef management guide, www.acccelgen.com, and Select sires. SS just bought out Accelerated Genetics but not sure the transition has taken place yet.

These are my brother in-laws heifers. He is only AI'ing them so that my daughter can gain experience. The only down side is that he doesn't know / care what we use and I am very unfamiliar with Angus in general. I would like to find a bull that would make this worthwhile for him.

PCC":1pvnoyzz said:
These are my brother in-laws heifers. He is only AI'ing them so that my daughter can gain experience.
Which A.I. companies are available in your area?
To be clear, your brother-in-law owns a semen tank and will be doing the actual insemination.
Which A.I. company has he purchased semen from in the past?
or
Will an A.I. technician be hired to do the insemination and if so, by which A.I. company is he/she employed?

Here's a list of the Top 25 Angus bulls by Registrations. This is a really good place to start.
https://www.angus.org/pub/SIR100CalvesTop25_2016.pdf

Another thing I try to do is to Google the bull's name and Sale Detail Report.
This will show you how well the purebred calves are selling by the bull.
You can then look up the sale catalog to see if they have photos of these calves. (Under sales and then Archived Sale Catalogs at http://www.angus.org
You can also Google the bull's name and Cattle Today and find threads on bulls. Look for people with first-hand experience. I will give you an example of why I say that...I have seen people post a lot of negative things about a bull they have never used but people who actually used the bull keep going back to him. Who would you listen to? In court it would be considered hearsay.

Son Of Butch, my brother in law owns the cattle, my daughter is going to be AIing them for him. Once we find a bull to use we usually have Hoffman Breeders send out a dewar and store the straws for us until we are ready to use them. I believe ABS is in our area (South East Idaho). Air Gator, thank you for the links and input on what to look for and what info to disregard.

If ABS is in your area, take a look at Bruiser. We have several of those calves. For keeping heifers, he should work. He is ABS #2 bull for maternal profit through the sire alliance.

We`ve used the Brilliance bull that ABS carries on heifers with good results. I just asked my ABS rep if sexed semen was available on Brilliance and he said not at this time but I was the 3rd person this month to ask that question. Maybe it will be available later this year though. I would only use sexed on virgin heifers though.

jd720":2ayiiel9 said:
We`ve used the Brilliance bull that ABS carries on heifers with good results. I just asked my ABS rep if sexed semen was available on Brilliance and he said not at this time but I was the 3rd person this month to ask that question. Maybe it will be available later this year though. I would only use sexed on virgin heifers though.

Yup, both Bismarck sons. Brilliance beats his brother out for phenotype, but bruiser has the edge on him in most all performance type categories. His feed efficiency data is pretty special

Latest posts