Recommend me a fishing reel

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
The kids either won't or can't use the reels I prefer (open face). They insist on the kind with a button. I'm tired of buying them to throw away. Anybody know of a dependable one? Strictly fishing our ponds if that makes a difference.

The Zebco 33 has been pretty much the standard for closed face reels for years.

dun":tybwg2c7 said:

My thoughts to. I normally don't post something negative about a product on here. I figure the company is working hard on their image. I shouldn't draw it down. We've had several, and they don't last any time.

I think Quantums are the best deal for the money. If you want something really good get a Shimano Curado. They will handle anything your rod will. I used mine in Brazil on some Peacocks, and that is where good reels go to die.

Some of the bass fishing forums have them used for about $100. They will last a lifetime for almost everyone except the guy who fishes 200 days a year. For him they only last a few years.

bird dog":est2kukg said:
I think Quantums are the best deal for the money. If you want something really good get a Shimano Curado. They will handle anything your rod will. I used mine in Brazil on some Peacocks, and that is where good reels go to die.

Some of the bass fishing forums have them used for about $100. They will last a lifetime for almost everyone except the guy who fishes 200 days a year. For him they only last a few years.
All true, but Bigfoot is looking for good push button (spincast) reels.
like this
s-l225.jpg

i'm not sure anyone makes a good one anymore.

Bigfoot":2sxzin1g said:
The kids either won't or can't use the reels I prefer (open face). They insist on the kind with a button. I'm tired of buying them to throw away. Anybody know of a dependable one? Strictly fishing our ponds if that makes a difference.

Make them use spinning reels. There is no such thing as a dependable push button reel.

The inner workings of a reel can't be very complicated. You'd think somebody would use quality components, and make a good one.

Brute 23":zfayyz8l said:
Bigfoot":zfayyz8l said:

Make them use spinning reels. There is no such thing as a dependable push button reel.

I agree. Started out on a Mitchel 300 and although they are not as well built today I still use one.

dun":1ud95lz3 said:
Dun, today's 33s are about like 202s were in the 60s. The new 33s just aren't the good product they were back then. I do have a 606 that isn't bad, but it has to be kept clean and lubed and I can't use a 1/4 oz lure such as a Roadrunner with it no matter how light line I try..

Farm Fence Solutions":3nqr1cvc said:
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=DctF87KI&id=5A6A56C747FA8578DEDAEBF72A3E7A1DB1E1A679&thid=OIP.DctF87KInp8jilrpbIylBwDhEs&q=bowfishing+bow+muzzy+reel+shoot+thru+rod&simid=608016806403573080&selectedIndex=14&ajaxhist=0

.....but we force feed em. We have a few Pflueger reels for boring fishing, and no complaints.
But can you sling a HulaPopper out there with a bow?? Kind of an abrupt presentation ain't it?
:lol:
(Pflueger has made some really great baits and reels thru the decades..haven't tried one lately tho)

greybeard":1cjnw1z3 said:
dun":1cjnw1z3 said:
Dun, today's 33s are about like 202s were in the 60s. The new 33s just aren't the good product they were back then. I do have a 606 that isn't bad, but it has to be kept clean and lubed and I can't use a 1/4 oz lure such as a Roadrunner with it no matter how light line I try..
I've still got some old 33s that I got for my grandkids (who are now in their 20s and 30s) and when ever little kids come over I still have them use them. My personal reels are all Shimanos now. Got tired of replacing the bale springs in the 300s every couple of months. The Shimanos are over 25 years old and still work as well as the day I got them.

Biggest problem I remember with the old 33s was that line pickup rod or tang not retracting all the way which kept it from smoothly casting very far.

greybeard":1r2pee5x said:
Biggest problem I remember with the old 33s was that line pickup rod or tang not retracting all the way which kept it from smoothly casting very far.

Never noticed, but they only have to cast 30 feet or so for the kids to be tickled and catch fish. I've never used one so if it started screwing up I would have no idea how to fix it anyway.

Not mitchel 209s they were mitchel 300s, got the Penn number confused. May have to go back and reread the posts about dementia

Latest posts