Receiving pens

Help Support CattleToday:

Central Fl Cracker

Reaction score
What is the rule of thumb on receiving 10 to 15 bred heifers in regards to the size of a holding pen? Also how long do you normally keep them in the pen before you release them out to pasture?

Well, that really depends on how tame they are. I normally keep mine in the corral for 2-3 days and feed them some hay and plenty of fresh water and let them get use to you coming out to see them several times a day.

I would think a 60' x 60' corral would be fine for 2-3 days.

Could I use barb wire instead of steel panel post? The cattle are herefords and seem pretty tame but you know how a new environment does to some cattle.

My holding pen is made of field fence with barbed wire on the inside of that. I use about an acre. If you just use barbed wire, make sure it is really a good fence. Maybe 6 strands really tight. I have done both. Let them out right away and kept them in the pen for a week. Much depends on what I see when I buy them. If I can walk out amongst them when viewing and not have them run and act crazy, I usually turn them out unless they need vaccinations or are of unknown origin.

Flaboy, I agree, but no matter how calm they are, they always run out in my pasture like they are going to run though the fence. They usually stop about 2/3 of the way across and then start walking the fence line looking for an exit and shortly after that usually just start eating and settle down.

One thing for sure, if they are wild enough or spooked (pressured) they can go through (or over) just about anything.

I think it helps if you turn them in with some other cows also,

JMO

My brother used to haul cattle from Florida and he delivered some to Texas or Oklahoma one time and the ranch had the worse fencing he had ever seen and the man told him to back up to the gate and turn them lose. My brother told him that these cows were to wild and would run right through his fencing and keep running. The man told him he could handle the cows with his COWBOYS and he signed the release and my brother let them go and as he pulled away the cows had run through his fence and were still running as he drove off. (with COWBOYS in hot pursuit)

My only holding pen is my working pen also, it is mostly heavy duty panels and woven wire. I will move my extra set of panels next to a field I want to turn them in and usually let them out after 1-2 days. I have been lucky with my cows, they all are very calm.

It works easiest if you already have cows on the place. You can run the seasoned cows into the pens, unload the new heifers, and turn them all out together.

I've never had trouble turning new ones out right away... but I generally will feed them in the pens before turning them loose. They tend to remember that.

I generally unload through a chute then into a holding pen of about 40'x60' that is connected to the barn that I can futher confine them if needed. If the settle down I open the holding pen gate in about 2-3 days and let them into a holding lot. A couple of acres. After a month I'll put them into the herd.

Hey C Holland, I got one for you. I bought a 3 in one Hereford cow from and old man and old lady who wanted them to go to a good home. I went to picked them up and calf walked right up to me. The cow stood off just a bit. He only had a pen about 10x20 so I backed my trailer up there. He threw some watermelon in the pen and cow walked in. I jumped in the pen, ran the calf in the trailer, threw more of the watermelon in the trailer and the cow walked in.

I got home backed up to my working pen and let her out. She tried to catch me when I went to open a gate. I let her out into the holding pen and she took off straight to the nearest fence and ran straight through three strands of barbed wire with field fence behind it. Took three posts out on the way. The calf came over and I scratched her on the head and we both just stood there and watched mamma run of into the distance. :lol:

Latest posts