Pens

Help Support CattleToday:

Bfields30

Reaction score
Got some heavy duty panels constructed pen together not done yet but coming along finishing up putting in rail road ties for braces I'm 6ft 3 and there taller then me about 5-6 inches. Any thoughts recommendations don't have a chute yet that will come later but helps be able to load and take to vet easy. Alleyway is 28 inches wide and I'm going every 4ft for a rail road tie in the alley for stability

If it were me, I would line the alley and the last pen to the alley with a sheet of 1/2" plywood from 6" off the ground.

DCA farm said:
I put railroad ties in for my post as well I paid $4 a post for them but I put mine every 8ft

Even down your alley I was told to do every 4 ft down alley and every 6 ft around the corral

Bfields30 said:
gcreekrch said:
If it were me, I would line the alley and the last pen to the alley with a sheet of 1/2" plywood from 6" off the ground.

With the panels there or without ?

Fastened to the panels. Inside is best but make sure they are secure regardless.

DCA farm said:
Bfields30 said:
DCA farm said:
I put railroad ties in for my post as well I paid $4 a post for them but I put mine every 8ft

Even down your alley I was told to do every 4 ft down alley and every 6 ft around the corral

Yes down my alley as well 8ft between each post I have post 3ft in ground
Yeah I have mine 3ft in as well.

Just remember those RR ties can burn. All of mine went up in smoke in '90. You're in Winnsboro so it is not as bad as it is here, but still, be careful.

As an alternative to plywood, you can also get ploy fabric sheets that attach to metal gates for visual barrier. They sell them at some of the farm supply stores and look like a rectangular tarp, like 4' x 12'. Zip tie easily to your gates. In a corral you can also tie plastic snow fence to the inside of metal gates. I works great for young stock so they can't get there head started thru an opening.

WFfarm said:
As an alternative to plywood, you can also get ploy fabric sheets that attach to metal gates for visual barrier. They sell them at some of the farm supply stores and look like a rectangular tarp, like 4' x 12'. Zip tie easily to your gates. In a corral you can also tie plastic snow fence to the inside of metal gates. I works great for young stock so they can't get there head started thru an opening.

Have used the snow fence on our free standing panels. Lasted 2 years and got brittle. The wind finished it off and we got to pick up broken plastic. Thinking 2x4 no climb fence next go round. Some pens weren't lined this year and calves didn't try much. Maybe just a lucky year and quieter help.

You have a photo of the fabric sheets? Do they last longer?

Agree about the snow fence breaking down. We tend to take it down when done working and weaning feeder calves. You also have to keep the snow fence about 6-8 inches off the ground or calves step in it and tear it away.

Below is a picture of the gate screen. It works great with metal gates and is lightweight. It holds up pretty well to the elements. Ours have been outside for 5+ years and no signs of tearing or falling apart from UV exposure.