Pens with guard rail

Help Support CattleToday:

Bfields30

Reaction score
Trying to see if anyone has any pens with guard rail on here and see if I could see any pics of your pens/ corral have a guy close to me selling some guard rail for 2ft a ft each one is 2ft
And I'm looking to get corral/pens built 30x 50ft and was trying to see exactly how many I would need.

Bfields30 said:
Trying to see if anyone has any pens with guard rail on here and see if I could see any pics of your pens/ corral have a guy close to me selling some guard rail for 2ft a ft each one is 2ft
And I'm looking to get corral/pens built 30x 50ft and was trying to see exactly how many I would need.
a friend has some in use as an ally up to his head gate and likes them.

didn't understand your statement about them being 2ft.

I have a friend who built several pens out of them. Three rails high. I am not sure on his spacing between rails. The one issue with them is if a cow ever sticks a leg out while going down along the fence they will saw that leg off in a hurry. The solution to that is to put a board just above the bottom rail.

I have several guard rail pens and I wish I could tear every one of the damn things out.
They were built by my brother who hated cattle. I believe there are two directions when facilities are built for cattle.. it's designed for the human or it's designed for the animal. Guard rail is for the humans convenience.
Years ago, I took a bull to the vet because he kicked while in a guard rail alley and severed the artery in his leg. Two years ago a heifer stuck her head under the bottom guard rail and nearly severed her left ear. I sewed it back on.
I've cut my hand reaching threw. If your feet are wet, you'll have a difficult time climbing out if it is a matter of saving yourself from an angry cow.
You couldn't pay me enough to own or build another guard rail corral.

Right now I do not have the kind of cattle that require guard rails. I guess all of ours are good drivers and stay on the road, are not wild and do not chase people. Always seemed a bit on the side of overkill.

Ebenezer said:
Right now I do not have the kind of cattle that require guard rails. I guess all of ours are good drivers and stay on the road, are not wild and do not chase people. Always seemed a bit on the side of overkill.
They may be that, but when you have 3 feet of snow pack come winter, they are anything but. My bulls will stay in one strand of hot wire, but if the snow is so deep it insulates them against a shock, I would rather have over kill than cattle on the road...
Aside from that, they are pretty much zero maintenance. In the land of corn and deer, not having to fix fence lines every other day is worth it's weight in gold!

gizmom said:
We have guard rail pens and love them. Go to our facebook page gizmoangus Farm you should be able to find some photos of our layout.

Gizmom
Nice setup . Nice stock those bulls looked very nice

Ebenezer said:

All my cows are pretty good besides two you can pet them and rub them in the pasture but if there confined in area there trying to find a way out.

gizmom said:
Thanks

We didn't put in the guard rail pens because we have crazy cattle we used them to have pens that don't need repairs. They just hold up.

Gizmom

This! At my FIL farm, his daddy put guard rail up for alley way leading to the chute over 40 years ago. Still standing today. I replaced a few switch ties 3 years ago because they were rotted. His dad's cattle were pretty rank back in the day so I been told. FILs cattle are very mild.

The one thing I wish I had known at the beginning was do it right the first time, never do it again. Half-a$$ it and you'll probably do it again, and maybe again after that. I've got some things I need to redo b/c we didn't know what we were doing and b/c of that we half-a$$ed it. The other thing I've learned is that it's better to have it and never need it than to need it and not have it. That being said, you can go too far over and spend way too much money. Ex. we have a very, very small place and bought a squeeze chute this year. We bought an S04 manual chute b/c of the price and it's perfect for us. Yes, a hydraulic deal with the sheeted panels would have been great, but the cost on that (about $20K) was too much for us.

On Gizmo Farm's cattle, be careful with them. You start looking at their stuff and you'll never feel right about your stuff. They have some really top shelf cattle.

Bfields30 said:
gizmom said:
We have guard rail pens and love them. Go to our facebook page gizmoangus Farm you should be able to find some photos of our layout.

Gizmom
Nice setup . Nice stock those bulls looked very nice

Guard rail is not for me to easy to cut up cattle. Might would consider for the out side but not for alley way or any place that they will be crowded. Sounds like others like it that's great just not for me.

BRYANT said:
Guard rail is not for me to easy to cut up cattle. Might would consider for the out side but not for alley way or any place that they will be crowded. Sounds like others like it that's great just not for me.
This surprises me! Our guard rail is not sharp. I climb though it all the time, have had goats and dogs climb under it, even had a group of bulls snap a couple of posts when they shoved one another into it.....I've never had an animal injured by it.

Boot Jack Bulls said:
BRYANT said:
This surprises me! Our guard rail is not sharp. I climb though it all the time, have had goats and dogs climb under it, even had a group of bulls snap a couple of posts when they shoved one another into it.....I've never had an animal injured by it.
I guess a lot of people like it just not me. When I worked at the meat packing plant all our pens were made out of the old military run way planks, they were pretty good and held a lot of rank bulls. But I have looked and can't find them any place.

Latest posts