Working pens

Help Support CattleToday:

I subdivided my working pen a little back in the summer. Added an area to sort, and redid my loading alley. I was budget conscious, and did it as cheap as I could. Used 5" pressure treated post 8' long. Put about 30" of the post in the ground. Set them 6' apart, and put 4 pressure treated 2" x 6" on them. The gap between them was way yonder bigger than I'd like. I pulled 2 strands of barbed wire in each opening. It's worked good all summer. I wouldn't recommend it, but it was cheap, and it's working.

Edited to add:
Worked out to $3.83 a running foot.

Y'all do realize continuous fence is not a bad price per foot too don't you?
I'm going to expand my feedlot and I'm having a hard time coming up with something cheaper.
Now in the pressure areas it takes the more expensive cf or use pipe or heavy timber but the pens can be the lighter stuff. Gobob has a good price but I'm sure others do to. I haven't found any to beat Gobob though.

jedstivers":3to5f7zg said:
I'm going to expand my feedlot and I'm having a hard time coming up with something cheaper.
Now in the pressure areas it takes the more expensive cf or use pipe or heavy timber but the pens can be the lighter stuff. Gobob has a good price but I'm sure others do to. I haven't found any to beat Gobob though.

Will a 120 volt wire feed weld that stuff to a pipe post? If it will, I can get along with it, if it won't, I'd have to hire it done.

Bigfoot":2yjsvce4 said:
Will a 120 volt wire feed weld that stuff to a pipe post? If it will, I can get along with it, if it won't, I'd have to hire it done.
Would depend on the amperage of the welder. I don't think I'd want to use less than a 140, which I think is the smallest 120v welder you can get.

Bigfoot":3ildu84u said:
jedstivers":3ildu84u said:

I've never used a 120 so I don't know. You can use self tapping screws on a heavy wall post to you can prol rent a welder if yin close to a larger urban area.

I'm going to use continuous panels and fasten them to rail road ties. They make anchors( they look conduit straps) for mounting to wood post. A guybdown the road has bout 100 ties in good shape for $5 each

Latest posts