Rebarrel Model 1873 Miroku Winchester to 350 legend?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lee VanRoss

Reaction score
I am considering rebarreling a Model 1873 45 Colt to 350 Legend. One of my concerns is the length of the 350 cartridge
as compared to 45 Colt. Since the carrier is fed from the front and loads to the front I am seeing a problem if I need to
revamp the carrier. I am fairly sure this would involve the linkage as well. I am hoping there are some Armerors out there who
might have some thoughts on this. My focus is grazing but I do love the smell of gun powder in the morning! Thanks in advance..

There is a good gun forum or two that will tell you all you want to know. I know messing with those old guns if not careful will make a shooter out of them only, with a lot less worth.

The rifle is a new Miroku Winchester that I have put maybe 20 rounds through. I would consider other calibers but chamber
pressure becomes an issue. So far I have only lost the end of one finger!

I am considering rebarreling a Model 1873 45 Colt to 350 Legend. One of my concerns is the length of the 350 cartridge
as compared to 45 Colt. Since the carrier is fed from the front and loads to the front I am seeing a problem if I need to
revamp the carrier. I am fairly sure this would involve the linkage as well. I am hoping there are some Armerors out there who
might have some thoughts on this. My focus is grazing but I do love the smell of gun powder in the morning! Thanks in advance..
Why chamber a 73 in 350 as that's a tube fed rifle.
I shoot a 350 and I wouldn't want the round in a tube fed rifle.

350 Legend mimics a 30-30 ballistics.
It is a straight wall cartridge designed for states requiring such and rimless as well.
The cartridge works in AR to single shot platforms.

I may need to rethink the 350 although they are reported to have less recoil than the 30 30. Also found out my 38 55
is deer legal which is a consideration !? Also don't they make them with gummy tips? I am familiar with the 35 Remington
and was actually my first choice but it is a tapered cartridge. I have everything I need for everything from a moose
down to a mouse in the house without damaging the woodwork in centerfire . I will be first to admit while I may have some
of the desire I have very little of John Moses's ability. Thanks for getting back.....

Question for those dealing with wild hogs> What are the chances of survival for a hog if it sustains a bullet wound?
Will the other hogs cannalbilize (sp) it? or ostracize it out of existence? Let's say you drop a sow with a litter of pigs,
what is their chance of survival at ? less than 20lbs --or give a weight based on experience,,,,,
Notice that I did not ask anything pertaining to anti-freeze and corn production,,,,, I can see where this has possibilities
for someone with multifaceted capabilities,,,,,,

Question for those dealing with wild hogs> What are the chances of survival for a hog if it sustains a bullet wound?
Will the other hogs cannalbilize (sp) it? or ostracize it out of existence? Let's say you drop a sow with a litter of pigs,
what is their chance of survival at ? less than 20lbs --or give a weight based on experience,,,,,
Notice that I did not ask anything pertaining to anti-freeze and corn production,,,,, I can see where this has possibilities
for someone with multifaceted capabilities,,,,,,
All the pigs will survive if you shoot the sow. They are raised in a matriarchal structure of the sounder.
Out of curiosity what do you not like about the 45LC.
If you hand load you can put together some pretty impressive loads.

CB> Actually I like 45 LC. I refer to mine as a 45 -70 Kurtz! Not sure about a hot loaded 45 in an 1873 though.
Truth is I need another caliber like America needs Biden... Enjoy the 350!

Miroku makes a 45 Colt 1873. I have two short rifle models. One has pretty wood and the tape still on the barrel.
Never had much interest or opportunity to become involved with the old William Henry McCarty models.
What I like about mine is when I shoulder the rifle and look down the barrel the sights on right on the target, uncanny good.

Latest posts