Rear discharge finish mower

Help Support CattleToday:

ohiosteve

Reaction score
So I've had this 7' finish mower at least 10 years it's seen some hard use. Been in some places it had no business being in. The baffles on the bottom that are supposed to guide the material flow are mangled and even though the blades don't hit them now, the belts slip really easily in heavy grass due to material plugging up. Can I just eliminate the mangled pieces or should I spend the time to replace them?

Looks to me like that little sucker has served you well. I'd find a nice quite place, plant some flowers, maybe a grave marker and send it off to never-never land.

I thought about rear discharge several times on a mid mount ZT because I have a lot of cross wind where I mow and kid you not, regardless....goggles or not, grass always gets in my right eye. Thought a RD would be the solution but checking on such, in the type machine I mentioned, seems I't have a lot of clumping and bunching behind the mower....don't want that. I like the fine residue from side discharge. However, the drag type doesn't seem to have that problem...or maybe it does.

I know on single blade shredders, I always tilt the back up so that I have full width cleared area to ensure that all the grass gets out when cut as it's cut for that finished look....if the grass/mowed area is low/thin enough to cooperate.

Can I just eliminate the mangled pieces or should I spend the time to replace them?

You can remove, but it want blow as good. I would say it will work fine without them as from using lawn mowers the biggest difference I have seen is blowing pressure with those there. Maybe not, but from looking at the picture it almost looks like a blade is on upside down.

jltrent":1w9soccx said:
Can I just eliminate the mangled pieces or should I spend the time to replace them?

You can remove, but it want blow as good. I would say it will work fine without them as from using lawn mowers the biggest difference I have seen is blowing pressure with those there. Maybe not, but from looking at the picture it almost looks like a blade is on upside down.
That is a good thought JL, I am going to have to check that. I've been known to drink a few beers while working on stuff in the evening...

The tin "curtain direct clippings to the rear. Without them clipping and rocks, and that piece of steel you didn't see hiding in the grass can be ejected where they are hit. Not a good idea.

I straightened it up the best I could and it is mowing much better now. I gotta stop running that thing through the woods.

ohiosteve":uvz2xn1d said:
I straightened it up the best I could and it is mowing much better now. I gotta stop running that thing through the woods.
Gotta ask....was a blade or two installed wrong? :)

1982vett":3dzxhwkr said:
ohiosteve":3dzxhwkr said:
Gotta ask....was a blade or two installed wrong? :)
Surprisingly they were all on the right way but it wouldn't have surprised me if I had one flipped.

Latest posts