Re: What would be the best bull for Hereford cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

D.R. Cattle":2k35a3sk said:
Brammers. F1's are hard to beat momma cows.

Then put an Angus bull on those tigers and plan on a big haul to the bank. :cboy:

The beauty of using a breed with 3/8 brahman is that very little ear is evident when they are crossed with a breed with no brahman. Just b/c you have a brahman influenced bull doesn't mean you are going to have a lot of ear in your herd. Just a touch.

Of course, Beefmasters are slightly different in that they have more brahman in them than Gerts, Brangus, etc.

YOU JUST CANT BEAT HEREFORD /ANGUS CROSS STEERS IN THE FEEDLOT AND ON THE RAIL---
CHAR CROSSES TAKE LONGER TO FINISH SO YOU AREN'T DOING YOURSELF ANY FAVORS THERE. (TOO MUCH BONE)
LONGEARED CATTLE AGAIN WILL BE IN THE FEEDLOT LONGER ALTHOUGH i HAVE SEEN SOME GERTS FINISH WELL
SHORT X HEREFORD FINISH WELL AS SHORTS FLESH UP QUICKLY
BRANGUS X HEREFORDS ARE OK BUT UNNECESSARY --JUST GO WITH AN ANGUS
BRAFORDS ARE NO GOOD FOR THE YARD-- FORGET THAT, BUT WHEN YOU MIX A SHORT IN WITH IT YOU ARE BACK TO BEEFMASTER
THEN YA GOT THE SUPERFINISHER--- SIMANGUS

I do not see that Brangus is unnessery , not in the deep south... But most of all the hybrid vigor of the brangus would be good..

First, stay away from simangus,
second, use a blonde dacuitaine limousin or piedmontese
third, laugh your way from the bank!

simangus23":4jjjmgew said:
YOU JUST CANT BEAT HEREFORD /ANGUS CROSS STEERS IN THE FEEDLOT AND ON THE RAIL---
CHAR CROSSES TAKE LONGER TO FINISH SO YOU AREN'T DOING YOURSELF ANY FAVORS THERE. (TOO MUCH BONE)
LONGEARED CATTLE AGAIN WILL BE IN THE FEEDLOT LONGER ALTHOUGH i HAVE SEEN SOME GERTS FINISH WELL
SHORT X HEREFORD FINISH WELL AS SHORTS FLESH UP QUICKLY
BRANGUS X HEREFORDS ARE OK BUT UNNECESSARY --JUST GO WITH AN ANGUS
BRAFORDS ARE NO GOOD FOR THE YARD-- FORGET THAT, BUT WHEN YOU MIX A SHORT IN WITH IT YOU ARE BACK TO BEEFMASTER
  • >>>>THEN YA GOT THE SUPERFINISHER--- SIMANGUS<<<<
like the ol saying goe's. its a poor frog that dont praise his own pond

Scott, You didn't mention what part of the country you were in and that makes a world of difference as to what breed to use. On the Gulf Coast, a Brahman to produce the "Queen of Cow Country" (the steers will be docked at the market, but the heifers value more than makes up for it). Don't need as much Brahman influence in the replacements consider Beefmaster, Brangus, Red Brangus or Santa Gertrudis. The steer mates to these heifers will not get docked here in East Texas. North of I-40 use a Continental or English breed depending on your likes.

Latest posts