re-taking CRP land

Help Support CattleToday:

AZAggie

Reaction score
I have 80 acres of land that has been in CRP for the last 10+ years that I am now able to do something with. There is another 80 connected to it that will also come out of CRP in two more years. The soil is pretty poor from what I can tell, very sandy and soft in most places. It has quite a bit of native grass on it, not exactly sure what type. Some sort of Indian grass I think. Lots of Johnson grass and lots of weeds. I've seriously been thinking of plowing it under this winter and planting it in some sort of clover this spring and letting it go for a few years, until I can get a fence around it and a well dug and run cows on it. Does anyone have any other ideas, successes or failures?

Spray the weeds, add some clover if you wish and let the natives do their thing. Get your fences in shape and don't overgraze. After 10 years of doing nothing, Mother Nature is showing you the way. Just follow the lead.

I agree with vet. Plowing will just stir up more weeds. Apply a good herbicide about the first of April and see what you got. You will probably be surprised.

Alot coming out of crep here very similar. Folks going about it several different ways. Some burning it, some working it. Some going back in crop. Some going to lease it for crop have people pay them to get rid of weeds then put it in grass. I have worked alot of ground tobacco farming, and will be the first to say if grass is the end result it's not good for ground.

Brute 23":2yfj1jwx said:
Start spraying weeds now. Tifton loves that soil. If you hot wire 10ac off a year and plant I would try to head in that direction. There is a big difference between 80ac of native grass and 80ac of tifton.
Brute, I like your thought, but he is in Oklahoma and Tifton may not be the best Bermuda for his area.

"Brute, I like your thought, but he is in Oklahoma and Tifton may not be the best Bermuda for his area."

Nor will spraying this late. Weeds have to be growing for herbicide to work They won't be in late October in Oklahoma.

Got ya. Guess I missed the Oklahoma part. Thought he was the college station area person.

... and yes I would not not spray weeds today. Thought that was kind of a given to start when the time was right in the spring or what ever. Its like 50 deg here too. Weed spraying is pretty much over for every one this year.

As wet as it has been the last month, I feel like I am back in College Station. I hate to complain about rain, but it is causing me to get backed up.

I appreciate the input. I may need to rethink my strategy on that land.

1982vett":zcafqjd3 said:
Spray the weeds, add some clover if you wish and let the natives do their thing. Get your fences in shape and don't overgraze. After 10 years of doing nothing, Mother Nature is showing you the way. Just follow the lead.
That makes a lot of sense.

Sure be curious to see how it'd work out. The big negative might be how much grazing you get. No natives around here can take much grazing pressure.

HDRider":142yvr1x said:
1982vett":142yvr1x said:
That makes a lot of sense.

Sure be curious to see how it'd work out. The big negative might be how much grazing you get. No natives around here can take much grazing pressure.

Well, you can grow just about anything anywhere if you throw enough money at it....

Bermuda can handle grazing pressure better than most grasses and likes sand, but fertilizer inputs are higher than native grass.
Sayre OK typically gets around 28" of rainfall a year.
Idk if midland bermuda can handle the cold up there.
I know east of there closer to OKC it does but they get more rainfall and I don't think it gets as cold.
I'd try 20 acres or so and see

I see comments like that of forcing them to eat it - but they'll have the rest of the field shaved to the dirt which goes against everything they say is best for pasture management. Gotta find balance.

Stocker Steve":3tvg60nk said:
Supa Dexta":3tvg60nk said:
I see comments like that of forcing them to eat it

No.

They need to trample it, get the nutrients cycling, and stimulate the seed bank.

Eating is optional.

my pasture looks like flattened mat of grass with sh!t covering everything. :lol2:

Latest posts