RAU Animal Immobilizer

Help Support CattleToday:

stocky":27ns5yt2 said:
i am convinced already that i need to buy one----just waiting on somebody to send me 50% off coupon---lol
============
stocky,

Borrow/get one from your vet in the area. He will probably let you try it. I don't sell them but, I hear good comments about different brands.

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":2go5b30b said:
MrBilly":2go5b30b said:
SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":2go5b30b said:
Thanks for the info. One question, how do you get the probe in the bulls a$$ without him being in the headgate??? ;-) :lol: :cboy:

Very easy, lift the tail and stick it in and then turn it on and you are set and they are immobilized.
Billy

MrBilly, So, it takes two people to use this? One to hold it in the bulls arse and the other to put in the ear tags,injections,etc? :cboy: :?:

I don't think so, but I need to use my wife's free labor, no?

Stick it in, turn it on and go about your business. The tail holds the probe in the "arse," no need to hold it in. The control box hangs from the chute. I like having someone deal with the controls while I am attending to my business.

Billy

MrBilly":2ow2bs2m said:
SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":2ow2bs2m said:
MrBilly":2ow2bs2m said:
SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":2ow2bs2m said:
Thanks for the info. One question, how do you get the probe in the bulls a$$ without him being in the headgate??? ;-) :lol: :cboy:

Very easy, lift the tail and stick it in and then turn it on and you are set and they are immobilized.
Billy

MrBilly, So, it takes two people to use this? One to hold it in the bulls arse and the other to put in the ear tags,injections,etc? :cboy: :?:

Stick it in, turn it on and go about your business. The tail holds the probe in the "arse," no need to hold it in. The control box hangs from the chute. I like having someone deal with the controls while I am attending to my business.

Billy

Yes the video on that website shows one guy doing the branding all by himself. Seems like this would really be the cat's pajamas for vets to have, could save some wrestling of critters.

I've seen these probes in use in Ft. Worth at the Texas Longhorn Showcase in November. They insert the probe and the animal stands still to have their horns measured. There was a dealer for them and I got some of the literature but I don't remember how much they cost. They do seem to work well from what I've seen.

CKC1586":p2yvdr6m said:
MrBilly":p2yvdr6m said:
SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":p2yvdr6m said:
MrBilly":p2yvdr6m said:
SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":p2yvdr6m said:

Billy

Stick it in, turn it on and go about your business. The tail holds the probe

se," no need to hold it in. The control box hangs from the chute. I like having someone deal with the controls while I am attending to my business.

Billy

Yes the video on that website shows one guy doing the branding all by himself. Seems like this would really be the cat's pajamas for vets to have, could save some wrestling of critters.

That's it....I've gotta have me one of those...! :cboy: ;-)

i was wondering if anyone could tell me how you would use this in dehorning cows. if the cows are not caught in the headgate, how do you get to the horns in the middle of the chute? i have been trying to picture this and i havent figured out how you would have room to work.
i dehorn alot of full grown cows that are crossbred or longhorn crosses and to keep the dehorning from knocking them too badly, i wrap a string around the base of the horns several times with some figure 8's in it to cut off the blood supply and then cut the horns off about 1 1/2 to 2 inches from the base and fill the holes with cotton. 3 days later, i take the string off so there is virtually no blood and the animal doesnt go off feed.
i am just having trouble imagining how i will get the hacksaw in at the right angle to do this without the cow in the chute.
the main reason i would be buying this is for dehorning and hoof trimming

stocky":2njltk7n said:
i was wondering if anyone could tell me how you would use this in dehorning cows. if the cows are not caught in the headgate, how do you get to the horns in the middle of the chute? i have been trying to picture this and i havent figured out how you would have room to work.
i dehorn alot of full grown cows that are crossbred or longhorn crosses and to keep the dehorning from knocking them too badly, i wrap a string around the base of the horns several times with some figure 8's in it to cut off the blood supply and then cut the horns off about 1 1/2 to 2 inches from the base and fill the holes with cotton. 3 days later, i take the string off so there is virtually no blood and the animal doesnt go off feed.
i am just having trouble imagining how i will get the hacksaw in at the right angle to do this without the cow in the chute.
the main reason i would be buying this is for dehorning and hoof trimming
================
stocky,

Only seen dehorning done with one... with the cow's head thru the gate...at the sale barn.

If the cows head won't go thru the gate...can you get up on the side of the shute and reach down to dehorn 'em? Dosen't sound very comfortable..I guess.

I'm posting a web site..see if a search there will help or email them and ask how to apply it. Good question.

http://www.igd-usa.com/

Nose tongs and lead rope and lariat rope are lots cheaper....do the same job...some hobby farmers just cant wait for new ways to blow money

The whole concept makes my puckerstring tight and my eyes water. Guess I'm too old for modern scientific ways of doing things

dun

careful now dun, wouldnt want you to get branded with the scarlet "SF" too.

tapeworm":3p9ik17g said:
Nose tongs and lead rope and lariat rope are lots cheaper....do the same job...some hobby farmers just cant wait for new ways to blow money

Now thats funny very true but funny. I can just picture some of these hobby guys trying on themselves to see how it works.

thanks, guys. the way i normally do it is to just put them into the headchute and use the nose lead to pull the head to the side and give them a shot of painkiller and tie off the circulation and then dehorn that side and then pull the head to the other side and do that side. my question came from where i kept seeing that you shouldnt put the cow's head in the headchute, which is hard for me to picture how to dehorn. once again, i can definitely see how this tool could be great, but you still have to have the animal in the chute already, so that is where i am trying to see where it is 795 dollars great. i keep thinking that a thin, second period cow would be better for 800 dollars than the immobilizer. thanks for your thoughts

i just received my tape and brochures in the mail from the rau immobilizer company. in the brochure, it shows an animal being dehorned and she is caught in the headgate. i guess this answers my question about dehorning and i will watch the tape later this evening.

immobilized or not, i would want em in the headgate.... seems like better safe than sorry should something go wrong...

jmo

jt

i agree with you 100% jt. the thing that made me wonder was that everything i was reading was saying do not put them in the headgate because of their tendency to lean forward and the pressure of the headgate on their neck would reduce flow of oxygen to the brain. i have plenty of instances where i am accused of not getting enough oxygen to the brain, so i would hate to have my cattle accused of having the same problem---lol

Caustic Burno":eybg0rmm said:
tapeworm":eybg0rmm said:

Now thats funny very true but funny. I can just picture some of these hobby guys trying on themselves to see how it works.

Listen you two, just because someone wants to use a better,safer way of doing things does not mean they are "hobby farmers"! Some of us are not as young and strong as we used to be, and do not have all the time in the world to get things done. I am no cattle baron by any means,but I have 31 head and counting and have to do every single thing by myself,and do not have the benefit of my sons,son in law's,cousin's, or "bubba's" help to get things done. I am appreciative of anybodys knowledge, or "technology" to do what needs to be done in a safer manner,with less stress on my animals, in as little time as possible! You two are more likely the ones to feel the need to try it out on yourselves or each other...... :x

once a few of you get kicked accross the corral a few times working cows and calves youll decide to do things safer when you have a 1500lb holstein cow throw you into a brickwall breaking out of the barn then stomping your foot then youll think of safter ways to work cattle scott

Before you buy one do a little searching--About a month ago I saw another model unit demonstrated that used two clamps ( like the clamps on a battery charger- in fact thats what the whole unit looked like)...One clamped on the lip- the second on the tail at the tailhead....Did the same thing...And it was priced at $99.....I think it was a fellow from South Dakota selling them- put on a demonstration at the sale barn......

I started this discussion so I thought a bit of followup is in order. I have used the device on two herds with great success.

First, I castrated a bunch of young bulls and it worked very well. Little jumping around, and no apparent pain. I do not think this device is providing any anesthesia, just immobilization, so I think the critters have feeling, which brings me to the question of whether we should be holding up the tail as in the "old way" of castrating and "applying anesthesia?"

This past weekend we worked 90 critters; two large cows needed some hind leg hoof trimming which I have never been able to do before. With the immobilizer in place and on, I simply trimmed the hooves and there was no movement at all. Another cow needed her ear tag changed and a bit of a haircut in the ear. Everytime I tried to touch her head, she would shake it to the point I could do nothing. I put the probe in her butt, turned it on, and she stood still didn't move her head and I was able to cut the hair and put the new tag in without any fuss. This latter example is just a frustration, and not something the probe was designed for, but it did allow us to finish with her in no time flat and move on the the rest of the herd .

None of the critters, except the ear tag gal were in the head gate, just in the chute.

We are very happy with this little gem.

Billy :lol:

Latest posts