RAU Animal Immobilizer

Help Support CattleToday:

MrBilly

Reaction score
I recently purchased this electronic device on the recommendation of a friend who had also bought one and like it very much. He used it to immobilize his purebred Brangus cows to do some hoof trimming.

We used it for the first time today to castrate a number or rather large bull calves. It worked like a champ. There was little to no bellering, or movement, the calves stood still and we felt very safe even when the bulls were not in the head catch. They recommend not using the head catch since if the calf leans forward (which they do) and they were in the catch they could reduce the circulation to their brain and collapse - so we didn't use it and it worked fine

Basically you put this small probe in the rectum and turn on the current, adjust it gradually upwards and the animal just stands still. If you increase it further they will lift one or the other rear leg and just stand there for you. Amazing to say the least. Apparently the device fenerates some sort of rf signal because there is no shock if you hold the probe in your hand and turn it on. There was no evidence of any pain during the castration, when you turn it off they hot right out of the chute.

You also don't have to hold the tail up, which my wife is very happy about and now manages the controls.

For older folks like us, this simple ability to immobilze a critter for castration, hoof trimming, etc is a great safety feature we have not had available before.

We bought it at a beef expo so there was $100 off. I think to price was around $600 with two probes ( small and large ), a cigarett lighter charger, carrying case. The product looks substantial and well made. They also have an ejaculator probe for those into collecting semen.

For information go to their website http://www.igd-usa.com

Billy

i called the company and spoke with the representative as well as looked at the website videos. this sounds outstanding, but the price they quoted me is 795. i guess the question is whether it is outstanding enough for 795 dollars. i will check out the video they send me. i know there are times i could use it, just trying to figure out if there are enough times to justify the cost

We use a young man from East Texas to surgically dehorn the Brahmans, and he has one of these devices. Truly amazing stuff.. he can dehorn the Brahmans, unhook them from the machine, and they walk around like nothing had every happened. Don't hold a grudge at all.. which is REALLY unusual for a Brahman. :cboy:

That thing looks like it would be worth it on a lagre operation. I bet the prices will come down as more competition starts making them. I can see it now Bubba's just gonna hafta try it with a cattle prod. Recken which one will be the most surprised.

It's not all that new, the concept has been used for at least 20 years that I know of. This may be an improved version but it's still the same concpet. It didn;t catch on then and I doubt it will catch on now.

dun

A friend bought one a month ago and swears by it. He said that he branded 4-5 heifers in a trimming chute with the immobilizer. The price they were given waas 795 as well. I guess the question is is 795 worth it to have good brands and cattle that stay still in the chute while worked? Not sure if I will buy one or not...Have to see it in action before I do that.

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":3pux2et9 said:
Thanks for the info. One question, how do you get the probe in the bulls a$$ without him being in the headgate??? ;-) :lol: :cboy:

Very easy, lift the tail and stick it in and then turn it on and you are set and they are immobilized.
Billy

CKC1586":1andpm93 said:
This is truly amazing. I wonder what prompted the the idea of lets put an electrical probe in a cows anus to immobilize it????
=======
ckc,

Don't know it's exact genesis...but they have been using electrical stimulation for semen harvesting..for a long time.

They work great for castration, de-horning,etc. Much less stress on the animal..a n d....... I hasten to add .........me. :lol: I wouldn't be without one. 8)

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":qos9jejl said:
Thanks for the info. One question, how do you get the probe in the bulls a$$ without him being in the headgate??? ;-) :lol: :cboy:
=============

springer,

It is suggested that we put the animal in the head gate...insert the probe....turn it on ..low...and release the head gate...then turn it up to the recommended level...depending on the unit. We leave the head gate a portion closed just so the animal doesn't fall forward....completely.

preston39":156jpni6 said:
CKC1586":156jpni6 said:
This is truly amazing. I wonder what prompted the the idea of lets put an electrical probe in a cows anus to immobilize it????
=======
ckc,

Don't know it's exact genesis...but they have been using electrical stimulation for semen harvesting..for a long time.

They work great for castration, de-horning,etc. Much less stress on the animal..a n d....... I hasten to add .........me. :lol: I wouldn't be without one. 8)
I guess what I was meaning was who woulda thunk it up??? I have great respect for inventors. I am in awe of them. What made someone think that an electrical current in a cows butt will do this or that? Amazing.

dun":1xumoawo said:
It's not all that new, the concept has been used for at least 20 years that I know of. This may be an improved version but it's still the same concpet. It didn;t catch on then and I doubt it will catch on now.

dun
=============
dun

If you have a chance see one in use....it's amazing.

(Geesh...come to think of it I sound like some one else on this board..who sells the stuff!!...forbid...forbid!!!!)

i am convinced already that i need to buy one----just waiting on somebody to send me 50% off coupon---lol

CKC1586":16r61tca said:
preston39":16r61tca said:
CKC1586":16r61tca said:
=======
ckc,

I guess what I was meaning was who woulda thunk it up??? I have great respect for inventors. I am in awe of them. What made someone think that an electrical current in a cows butt will do this or that? Amazing.
ckc,

:lol: ..good question and I would have no idea. If you find an answer...share it with us...probably would be interesting.

preston39":23jukvcs said:
SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":23jukvcs said:
=============

springer,

It is suggested that we put the animal in the head gate...insert the probe....turn it on ..low...and release the head gate...then turn it up to the recommended level...depending on the unit. We leave the head gate a portion closed just so the animal doesn't fall forward....completely.

Not trying to be sarcastic, my bull is too big to fit in the headgate,he will barely squeeze through the squeeze chute with it adjusted all the way out.I have a devil of a time trying to work him (ear tags etc,)and usually have to put a rope around his neck,half-hitch it around his nose and tie it off to the side of the chute.It is a pain in the butt. :) ;-) :cboy:

MrBilly":7tidfsbj said:
SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":7tidfsbj said:

Very easy, lift the tail and stick it in and then turn it on and you are set and they are immobilized.
Billy

MrBilly, So, it takes two people to use this? One to hold it in the bulls arse and the other to put in the ear tags,injections,etc? :cboy: :?:

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":3hwmnjpw said:
preston39":3hwmnjpw said:
SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":3hwmnjpw said:
=============

springer,

Not trying to be sarcastic, my bull is too big to fit in the headgate,he will barely squeeze through the squeeze chute with it adjusted all the way out.I have a devil of a time trying to work him (ear tags etc,)and usually have to put a rope around his neck,half-hitch it around his nose and tie it off to the side of the chute.It is a pain in the butt. :) ;-) :cboy:
===============
Springer,

I hear you ....sounds like a big fellow...Gotta do what ones gotta do. If you can tie him off and he will stand for the insertion...you will then have a cudly big puppy dog on your hands. Sounds like a..." biggie size"...just don't let him lean forward on anyone. :) many larger animals have to be backed out of the shute because the head gate opening will not fit.

It is amazing how they just walk off after the procedure very docile, as if nothing ever happened.

Latest posts